Windows 10: Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Background: We have purchased 14 HP EliteBook 820 laptops (which come with Windows 8.1 downgraded to Win 7 preinstalled) to rollout within our company... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MrUnderhill, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD

Background:
    We have purchased 14 HP EliteBook 820 laptops (which come with Windows 8.1 downgraded to Win 7 preinstalled) to rollout within our company and my usual method for laptop rollouts is to setup one with our corporate apps etc, run SysPrep and then clone the hard drive to the rest of the laptops.

This has worked fine in the past with Windows XP and 7 but with the introduction of the free upgrade to Windows 10 which we want to take advantage of it has produced a problem.

Problem:
    I have setup one laptop and gone through the free upgrade to Windows 10 then installed our required apps etc, run SysPrep, shutdown and cloned the hard drive to another hard drive to go into the next laptop (same model) to rollout.

Windows is then unable to activate giving error code 0xC004C003 meaning the key is blocked.

Because the laptops have OEM Windows licences pre-installed this means that I don't have a product key sticker; it is embedded in the BIOS.

I am assuming that at the point of upgrade the Microsoft servers check the key and add it to their list of 'OK' keys to allow the upgrade.

When the cloned hard drive is placed into another laptop the key embedded into the BIOS is not OK and Windows does not activate? I've tried the slui program to remove the licence but that just removes the key and asks for a new one. I have also tried doing the clone of a clean install after upgrading. I have tried speaking to HP and Microsoft but each one said speak to the other.

Currently my only option is to setup one laptop with the OEM Win 7 or 8.1, install our Apps, do the SysPrep and cloning and then upgrade each one individually at the end of the OOBE experience. This will be more time consuming when rolling out and rebuilding.

I'm sure the official line will be purchase a volume licence for Windows 10 but why should we? - it's a free upgrade!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

MrUnderhill, Aug 26, 2015
  2. mrobo11 Win User

Install Windows 10 on same computer two hard drives

Do so: install and activate the windows 10,

after then use some hdd clone program and clone partition from hdd where is the os installed and activated to another after boot from second hdd

or

install windows on first hdd and activate,

register to insider program, and download insider windows version and install on second hdd and activate

mrobo11, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Clone HDD to a SSD

I'm planing to upgrade my new laptop HDD to SSD while using my HDD as a storage media on my laptop. My laptop came with windows 10 Home OEM. If I cloned the HDD will the windows be activated after I
    cloned or will it be deactivated?? And what happend to other activated softwares like MS Office and Antivirus Softwares???

Thank you for your support.

Kasun Anuradha, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD

That's a matter of interpretation. Certainly, the Consumer versions are free upgrades, but the Enterprise version (which is the real VL version) is not.

You're probably going to have to upgrade each machine individually.

Mark Phelps, Aug 26, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    That would be an erroneous assumption.

What you are going to have to do is upgrade each laptop from within a previously activated Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 installed on it. Once it is upgraded and the Windows 10 is activated on it, then you should be able to use cloning to put a new Windows 10 on it which should then activate.

Windows 10 will activate upon one of three conditions:

1. It is an in place upgrade from a currently activated Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. Windows 10 will read the previous license information from the previous OS and use that to both activate Windows 10 and push that hardware configuration information onto Microsoft activation servers for future use.

2. A valid Windows 10 Retail, OEM or other product key is provided (not the generic key generated from an upgrade). Windows 10 will use the valid product key to both activate Windows 10 and push that hardware configuration information onto Microsoft activation servers for future use.

3. If there is no upgrade and no product key is provided (such as a clean install onto a blank hard drive), Windows 10 will calculate the unique hardware configure and look on Microsoft activation servers to see if the hardware configure was previously pushed by situation 1 or 2 above. If it finds that Windows 10 was previously activated on that unique hardware configuration, then it will activate based upon that - without any MS account ever being used to log on.

4. If it doesn't find that unique hardware configuration then it will not activate, no matter how many users log onto it with the Microsoft accounts until a product key is provided to create situation 2 above.

Even though two computers may have the exact same hardware (make and model) there will be several serial numbers for the motherboard, CPU, and LAN MAC addresses that will be unique. Those are a large part of what generates the unique hardware ID used for activation.

NavyLCDR, Aug 26, 2015
  6. Hi
    I have the same issue here, only I'm adding another complication, i'm upgrading each PC with an SSD.

I have 10 x HP Pro 400 Desktops with a standard 250Gb HD and Win 8.1 Pro downgraded to Win 7 Pro.
    I have a Kingston SSD 240Gb for each.

Here are my steps:

- Clone HD to SSD using Kingston CD with a software provided
    - Setup my machine with Win7 Pro and install all my programs
    - Upgrade to Win 10 Pro
    - Use "EaseUS DiskCopy" to make a copy of the SSD to a new one
    - Enter the new SSD into a fresh PC (instead of it's HD)
    - Change name / iP / add it to domain.
    - Windows 10 Pro isn't activated!

Did you find a solution? Do you clone the Win 7 and upgrade them individually to 10?

VmantheGreat, Sep 22, 2015
  7. The free Win10 Upgrade is activated as a byproduct of performing the in-place Upgrade. That stores hardware hash information on the MS activation servers.

Cloning the RESULTS of that upgrade from one drive to another completely bypasses the upgrade process -- and as a result -- no activation gets done, or will get done.

The "solution" was already presented by NavyLCDR in post #3 -- upgrade each machine individually.

Mark Phelps, Sep 23, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD

and after each is upgraded individually, then the clone image should be able to be used to overwrite the upgrade with the desired software.

NavyLCDR, Sep 23, 2015
  9. Joergi Win User
    I think that what people proposed you so far should work: On each PC, run a real upgrade, make sure that the PC shows that it is activated and after that replace the stuff with your system image. I think this will work, but it is not really elegant.

You might be faster, if you use the gatherosstate.exe, which comes with the Windows 10 DVD. When some time ago I proposed using this tool to a user, Brink accused me of trolling; I would do strange things with activation and whoo. However, in the meantime, Brink himself has written a Tutorial on how to use gatherosstate.exe: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Joergi, Sep 23, 2015
  10. Hi I have the the same problem a the original poster.

I've followed the excellent guide here to the letter but Windows no longer activates on the other machines. All 23 of which are identical.

I finally it the bullet and phoned Microsoft to be told the machines required a retail licence to activate. The original laptop was activated via its own OEM DVD and upgraded to Windows 10 64bit via the MS icon. I cloned the original drive and put them in the new laptops and the activation fails.

None of the steps in this guide seem to work t give the activation.

I've not entered a product key as they are all generic now for windows 10.

Is it because MS are using the hardware hash as teh "key" now. Whilst they are identical laptops the hardware will have different serial numbers!

Summermoonuk, Oct 1, 2015
  11. Frutchy Win User
    My experience si exactly the opposite:
    I had 2 DELL Vostro 1710 laptops. The first one was originally installed with Windows XP and upgraded to Windows 8.1 last year, the other one was still on Windows XP. There were some major hardware differences between both machines: The latter only had Intel integrated graphics, the first one had a discrete nVidia graphics controller, faster CPU, more memory, bigger drive.

I ran the Windows 10 upgrade on the first machine. Went fine.
    To win time, I cloned the newly upgraded Windows 10 drive (with HD Clone) and used the cloned second drive in the second machine.
    Windows 10 installed newly detected peripherals as expected and there was no need for activation!
    I have been able to run Windows Updates, use Windows Defender, well everthing for a month now.

Detail: These machines date from 2009 and don't have an UEFI BIOS which is perhaps something that makes the difference?

Frutchy, Oct 3, 2015
  12. Joergi Win User
    Frutchy, I think what you did is kind of dangerous:

If both PCs have the same motherboard (make and model), then Windows 10 might think that you had done an upgrade of the hardware and so it would activate again. With a different motherboard, it should no longer activate as Microsoft in most countries of the world binds the licence to one certain PC where the motherboard is the deciding factor.
    That given, if the motherboards are different, I would expect that the copied Windows 10 might lose activation once it checks, if the hardware has been changed.

Apart from that there is another problem:

You are now using one Windows licence on two different PCs. If your licence does not allow you to use it on different PCs at the same time (the "Familiy Pack" of Windows 7 e.g. allows usage on three systems at the same time), if your licence does not allow that, then I would expect that one day Microsoft will complain that you would be violating the licence terms. I don't know what Microsoft does in such cases; in the worst case they could block the Windows key - however, like I said, I don't know if they actually do.
    I see that you have two licences and that you can also use them on two PCs, but currently you are using one licence on two.

I don't know if there is a way to change the basic licence of the copied system so that it is correctly based on the now unused Windows licence of the second machine.

Joergi, Oct 3, 2015
  13. Superfly Win User

It depends on how MS calculates the HwID and it's tolerances... OEM hardware are very similar, obviously serials are not being computed in the HwID - either way, an interesting report.

Superfly, Oct 3, 2015
  14. Frutchy Win User
    Both laptops run fine since a while and are in regular use so I guess Windows Update has had more than enought time to check and double check the hardware and licences.
    Another detail which might explain what happened: When I upgraded the first laptop to Windows 8.1 (32 bits), I used what was called a complete licence. Maybe that explains the tolerance?

Frutchy, Oct 4, 2015
  15. Joergi Win User
    Agreed - however, that does not tell, what the future holds. One day you might still get a nasty surprise...

I don't know what a "complete licence" is. If you mean that you bought Windows not as an OEM version together with a PC, but separately as a retail version, then the licence still only allows using the key on exactly one PC at the same time.

Joergi, Oct 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD - Similar Threads - Activation cloning HDD

2. Window clone HDD To SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window clone HDD To SSD: Hello firstly window runs on HDD after I did clone the window HDD to SSD he has done it successfully but the EFI system partition can't migrate to SSD. I want to run a complete window partition on SSD 250GB. Activated os windows10 Thank you...
  3. Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable: Hi there, I have a Windows 10 Alienware R7 desktop and I had my operating system on a SSD drive. I cloned the Windows OS to a 2TB HDD that is also in my desktop because I would like to dual boot Ubuntu and want Ubuntu to be installed on the SSD instead of Windows. The tool I...
  4. Cloning hdd ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning hdd ?: Hello I just bought a 3tb hdd and I want to move/ copy all my games from one hdd to another. So the question is is it possible to transfer just games to new hdd without re-downloading all the games. Also I plan on wiping old hdd clean for to use as another storage device on...
  5. Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 HDD clone not bootable: Hi there, I have a Windows 10 Alienware R7 desktop and I had my operating system on a SSD drive. I cloned the Windows OS to a 2TB HDD that is also in my desktop because I would like to dual boot Ubuntu and want Ubuntu to be installed on the SSD instead of Windows. The tool I...
  6. Windows 10 - Delete cloned HDD partitions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Delete cloned HDD partitions.: Hi, I cloned my HDD 320gb to a 1TB new one and planned to not use the 320 again. But can't boot from this new cloned HDDinsert boot media in select boot device and press a key. So I've been trying it again, with EaseUS Todo Backup Free and same thing happens. This disk...
  7. cloning a HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cloning a HDD: I have tried the following cloning software (aomei, Marium Reflect 7; MiniTool; Easeus TODO; clonezilla. they all have one thing in common, they don't produce a bootable/recogizable drive. Any ideas on how i can resolve the replacement of my laptop HDD? Cheers/Thanks...
  8. Windows Activation problem(After clone HDD)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation problem(After clone HDD): Hi, Please can you advice how to resolve my windows activation issue. I got this issue after clone my HDD to new HDD. there says some hardware changed so can't active this windows. so can I know how to reset my pc old registered details?...
  9. Cloning HDD and Win 10

Cloning HDD and Win 10: I believe I asked this before, but memory fails. I currently run 1Tb drives on my Core I7 system, and my new MB is capable of the 6Gb/S sata, but I wont get that with my current drives. Looking today, I see the WD Blue 6Gb/S sata drives are now down to around $45, I...
  10. Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD

Unable to Clone Windows 10 HDD: This thread is a continuation of another thread in BSOD. This is getting stranger and stranger. I took the SSD out of my primary PC and put it in my secondary Windows7 PC and cloned the OS. I then booted from the SSD without any problems. Then I put the SSD back into...