Windows 10: Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers

Discus and support Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I wanted to transfer my retail windows 10 license from my old laptop to my new desktop, but I keep running into problems with Windows saying the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GielKGQ, Sep 29, 2022.

1. GielKGQ Win User

Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers

I wanted to transfer my retail windows 10 license from my old laptop to my new desktop, but I keep running into problems with Windows saying the product is not genuine. My old laptop initially had a retail windows 7 license, which I succesfully updated to windows 10 somewhere along it's lifespan. I unlinked my microsoft account from the laptop, deactivated the windows license and removed the product key from the registry of the laptop. My new pc, to which I want to transfer the license, runs Windows 10 and has never run Windows 7. After entering the product key, Windows activation keeps tellin

:)

GielKGQ, Sep 29, 2022

2. New Compute, Windows 10 (upgrade) Activation Transfer

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

Also see if you can reactivate using chat support:

Andre Da Costa, Sep 29, 2022
  3. Windows 10 license transfer

Thanks Andre.

i bought the license. My laptop was originally loaded with win 7 and was upgraded free couple of months.

in this case, if i understand you correctly, i can transfer with below steps. Right.?

let me buy my new laptop and try below.

and to my question do you have an update.

does OS upgrades if my activation key is changed.

thanks

sai

SainandhanKandasamy, Sep 29, 2022
  4. Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers

Windows 10 license transfer

There is no actual deactivation method.

You can only transfer the license if its a retail license. If it came with the laptop you can't transfer it.

You can first uninstall the key.

Open Start, type: cmd

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

At the command prompt, type:

slmgr -upk

Hit Enter

Next, proceed to upgrade the new laptop:

You might need to reactivate by chat support since the license was previously in use.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Sep 29, 2022
Thema:

Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers

1. Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers - Similar Threads - activation problem transferring

2. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  3. Transferring licenses between machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring licenses between machines: Long story.....I have my own small business and have purchased an Office 365 package for me and the other employee.Some time ago I bought a new computer which had Windows 10 Home.I wanted to set up a number of different users on the machine using my Work Accounts that had...
  4. Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers: I wanted to transfer my retail windows 10 license from my old laptop to my new desktop, but I keep running into problems with Windows saying the product is not genuine. My old laptop initially had a retail windows 7 license, which I succesfully updated to windows 10 somewhere...
  5. Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 activation problem after transferring licenses between computers: I wanted to transfer my retail windows 10 license from my old laptop to my new desktop, but I keep running into problems with Windows saying the product is not genuine. My old laptop initially had a retail windows 7 license, which I succesfully updated to windows 10 somewhere...
  6. Office transfer between computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Office transfer between computers: I want to transfer Office 2013 from one laptop to another. The other laptop has Office 2007. Then I want to buy Office home and student 2019 for the second laptop. How is this done?...
  7. Windows 10 activation problem- transfer digital license to new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activation problem- transfer digital license to new pc: Trying to set up a new pc and transfer Windows 10 pro from my old PC. My MS account shows that I have digital license that is linked to my account. I purchased the original retail license through an MS employee. New PC shows an error indicating no product key can be found on...
  8. Transfer Windows 10 License between Reinstall

Transfer Windows 10 License between Reinstall: So I am looking to reinstall Windows 10 Home because my computer is starting to feel slow but I don't know how to re-activate Windows 10 after I reinstall. I can't buy a new licences and not reinstalling is kinda not an option....
  9. Windows Activation, transferring license

Windows Activation, transferring license: Hello I have 2 PCs with Retail licenses (from B&H), I received the serial key after my purchases, then I have 3 scenarios. (But as well I have these 2 PCs listed under devices on my Microsoft account. ) But I see "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your...
  10. transfer digital licenses between computers

transfer digital licenses between computers: Hi I have 4 computers, 3 with win10 pro and one with home. I would like to transfer one of the computers to the home device as it's my newest laptop. I do not know what type of license I have, oem or retail etc... I know they were all upgraded from win7 to 8 to 10.......