Windows 10: Windows 10 activation within a VM on original hardware

Discus and support Windows 10 activation within a VM on original hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I hope you can advise. I've recently gained a new laptop from work that had new Windows 10 OS on it. I assume the Windows type was that of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GilH, Apr 4, 2019.

1. GilH Win User

Windows 10 activation within a VM on original hardware

Hi, I hope you can advise. I've recently gained a new laptop from work that had new Windows 10 OS on it. I assume the Windows type was that of a digital licence as I successfully activated it using my Windows live.com account (and can't find any product number in the purchase paperwork). Then a Windows 10 boot iso was made using the Media Creator product. Since then the laptop has had a version of Linux installed on it and now I'm having to activate Windows 10 as a virtual machine running on top of the Linux system.

It would seem that the Windows VM can't see the actual motherboard as it is now failing to activate. I am again using my Windows live.com account to log into the Windows VM (successfully), which is why I assume the problem is with it not seeing the actual motherboard.

Is there a way to activate Windows 10 in this situation? Many thanks for any advice.

:)

GilH, Apr 4, 2019
  2. MMO77 Win User

Windows 10 VM activation

Hi,

I am trying to setup two Windows 10 vms for test purposes on Ovirt virtualization cluster. (Windows 10 Pro with MAK key from visual studio (MSDN) subscription).

Activation of the first vm encountered no problem, but activation of the second one failed. I have tried to setup second vm by all available means (by cloning from the first one with or without sysprep, from activated state or from clean installed snapshot,
    by installing second vm from scratch, etc.). All are with the same results: The last product key you entered XXXXX can't be used on this copy of Windows (0xC0EA0003).

Is it possible to have several Win 10 vms on the same hypervisor, activated with MAK key?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

MMO77, Apr 4, 2019
  3. hboers_ Win User
    Activation and Re-activation of Windows 10 Pro VM (VirtualBox, OSX Host) not working

I've moved a working and activated Windows 10 Pro VM (VirtualBox) from a Windows 10 Host to an OSX Host. The re-activation of the is not Working (Error Code 0xC004C003). I also moved a Windows 7 Pro VM that reactivate without problems. I tried everything
    mentioned in the process to activate. Nothing works or even outputs some useful hint or support contact.

• used another (afaik unused) product key. not working! Same Error Code.
    • created a new VM and installed a fresh Windows 10 pro. The new machine can not be activated!

Thus this seems to be a problem within the crappy M$ activation system.

Any useful hint how to activate this M$ crap would be highly appreciated.

hboers_, Apr 4, 2019
  4. Windows 10 activation within a VM on original hardware

Windows 10 wont "Activate" after hardware upgrade

Hi, fcp4life,

Follow the steps listed in this Support Doc.

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/...

If you made a significant hardware change to your device (such as replacing the motherboard), Windows 10 might no longer be activated and you might see the activation error codes 0x803f7001 or 0xC004C008.

If your Original Hardware Manufacturer (OEM) changed the motherboard for you, your PC should reactivate automatically or you should be provided with a replacement product key. If you see the Activation error “Unable to reach Windows activation servers,” then
    follow the steps in this additional help article.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/...

Smittychat., Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 activation within a VM on original hardware

1. Windows 10 activation within a VM on original hardware - Similar Threads - activation within original

2. Windows Activation failed on VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation failed on VM: Hi,I installed Windows 10 Pro on a VM and activated it with a freshly bought product key. It seems that there was some trouble with the VM host integration and the VM suddenly failed to start. I installed it again on another VM, activated Windows again and then had other...
  3. Windows won't activate after moving from a VM on the same Hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't activate after moving from a VM on the same Hardware: I recently upgraded my PC hardware. At the same time I went from windows 10 on my old hardware to windows 11 on my new hardware.I uninstalled my license key from my old PC using slmgr /upk.Then on my new PC I ran Windows 11 in a Virtual Machine inside of Linux. In that...
  4. Windows won't activate after moving from a VM on the same Hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't activate after moving from a VM on the same Hardware: I recently upgraded my PC hardware. At the same time I went from windows 10 on my old hardware to windows 11 on my new hardware.I uninstalled my license key from my old PC using slmgr /upk.Then on my new PC I ran Windows 11 in a Virtual Machine inside of Linux. In that...
  5. Activation of Windows 10 enterprise in an Azure VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation of Windows 10 enterprise in an Azure VM: I recently created an Azure VM using `Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1` image. While creating, since I was planning to buy a `Microsoft 365 F3` license seperately to activate this VM I confirmed this in licensing section: After finishing the deployment, I connected to it via RDP...
  6. Windows Activation in a VM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Activation in a VM: Is this possible? Cannot get it to work. Two digital licences, gone through "troubleshooting" several times, clicked "i have changed hardware" and it closes out with "cannot be activated, please try again later" but so far, later has been akin to Garth Brooks' Tomorrow....
  7. Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM

Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM: I'm not seeing this question answered, or anything like it, so here goes: some years ago, I took advantage of the free upgrade from 7 to 10 Home. I then purchased a license to upgrade 10 Home to 10 Pro. A few months back, this machine was lost when the system drive failed...
  8. Windows 10 will not Activate on Parallels VM

Windows 10 will not Activate on Parallels VM: Hello I have been running Windows 10 on my Mac using Parallels VM for about four years. I previously bought a full copy of Windows 7 and took the free upgrade to 10 when available. Yesterday the system upgrade on Windows 10 did not go on properly and I was unable to start...
  9. Macrium restore within a VM in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium restore within a VM in UEFI mode: Hi folks I'm re-arranging a few VM's and re-assigning HDD space so I've got some Macrium images which I want to restore to new VHD's . However I can't seem to create an ISO that will boot in EFI mode (With Rufus it's fine but on a VM you need an ISO image as you can't boot...
  10. Running VM's Within Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Running VM's Within Windows 10: Hello, my first post here, hope it's in the right place. I've been running Windows 10 since the day after the preview was released. However I took a different route than most when evaluating the OS, I installed it on my school laptop. Now it's not the best, only 1.4Ghz Intel...