Windows 10: windows 10 activation

Discus and support windows 10 activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, How do I activate win7 upgrade to win10. There is a lot of reading available on line but I did not find a way to do it. I'm eligible via digital... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by klong915, Aug 17, 2016.

1. klong915 Win User

windows 10 activation

Hi,
    How do I activate win7 upgrade to win10. There is a lot of reading available on line but I did not find a way to do it. I'm eligible via digital entitlement (due to upgrade from win7 but How do this?
    Thanks,
    Keith

:)

klong915, Aug 17, 2016

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Aug 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Aug 17, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

windows 10 activation

If you did it within the time of the free upgrade and logged in with a MS account its should have activated it on ts own

Samuria, Aug 17, 2016
  5. klong915 Win User
    ok the free upgrade was done before the end of free upgrade. I've not use a MS account in many years. What MS account are you referring to? And should I have a MS account how does that automate win10 activation?

klong915, Aug 17, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    You do not need an MS account.

Have you previoulsy upgraded to windows 10 and had it runnuing?

cereberus, Aug 17, 2016
  7. Need more detailed info?
    You already did the free upgrade from 7 to 10 and activated it, Yes, No?
    Now you've done it a second time and it didn't activate, Yes, No?
    Same version of Windows on the same PC?

alphanumeric, Aug 17, 2016
  8. klong915 Win User

windows 10 activation

I have upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 three times. I never sought activation, it wasn't clear on how to do same. I have 2 laptops. and upgraded to w10 on both. This pc suffered with nvidia chip set melt down and after replacing the MB I needed to re-install win7 (the OS got buggered) and re-upgraded to windows 10.

klong915, Aug 17, 2016
  9. Yadda Win User
    Use your old Windows 7 key (the one you upgraded to 10).

I built a new PC to replace my old one earlier this week. My old PC had been upgraded from 7 to 10, like yours, and the above method worked for me when activating 10 on my new PC.

Yadda, Aug 17, 2016
  10. The Windows 7 free upgrade offer has ended. Semi officially anyway. On paper it's over, unofficially it was extended with no official end date. It may actually finally be over and that's why your install did not activate.
    To confirm one way or another got to Settings > Update & security > Activation and see what it says. If it shows not activated click Activate and see what message comes up.

11. klong915 Win User
    Well I tried as you've written use win7 PK but it was not accepted.
    Error Code: 0xc004f050

When I go to the activation page it reads: Current prouduct key ****-8HVX7
    and it is not a valid PK

That is not anything I've entered, nor are the last 5 readable characters part of my win7 PK

klong915, Aug 17, 2016
  12. ****-8HVX7 is a generic 10 Home key. An old generic key as far as I can tell. Generic keys will only activate if there is a Digital License on the activation server. You swapped motherboards so as far as the activation server is concerned, this is a new PC with no pre existing Digital License. Like I said earlier, the free upgrade offer ended on the 29th of July. Microsoft is not obligated to give you a free upgrade to Windows 10 on that hardware.
    What version or Windows 7 is your key for? And where did you get that key from? COA sticker?

13. klong915 Win User

windows 10 activation

Yes COA sticker on dell pc. I've used win10 for about a year. What does the MB have to do with anything? Win10 activation was never tried, both win7 and win10 were re-installed a couple months ago.
    I went to create an MS account to learn that the user name existed, so I had the password emailed to me.
    What is my best direction from here?

klong915, Aug 18, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    The MB has everything to do with it. Windows licenses and product keys get tied to the motherboard when you use them. The Windows 10 digital license gets tied to the motherboard when a Windows 7 is upgraded. Move a Windows 7 product key from motherboard to motherboard and it can get locked out from automatic online activation.

So....

1. Replace the motherboard, install Windows 10 on it, there will be no digital license stored on Microsoft activation servers for the new motherboard, Windows 10 will not activate via digital license.

2. Attempt to activate that Windows 10 with a Windows 7 product key that has become blocked from automatic online activation due to being used on a previous computer (motherboard) and Windows 10 will not activate.

3. You can call Microsoft technical support and hope they can sort it out for you or

4. You install Windows 7 on the new motherboard. To activate it with the blocked key you must call the Microsoft activation phone number and tell the computer voice that you are installing the blocked key on only one computer. Once Windows 7 is activated on that computer (motherboard), then if Microsoft is still offering the free upgrade you can either upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10, or you should be able to use the Windows 7 product key to activate a clean install of Windows 10. Either way should create a digital license for Windows 10 for that motherboard stored on Microsoft activation servers for future retrieval.

NavyLCDR, Aug 18, 2016
  15. klong915 Win User
    This post was intended as a reply to another thread.

klong915, Aug 18, 2016
Thema:

windows 10 activation

1. windows 10 activation - Similar Threads - activation

2. Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows: I can't activate Windows 11 Pro with the key that I purchased for it after doing a clean install of Windows. It remains stuck at Windows 11 Home Edition.Can someone assist?...
  3. Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Activate Windows 11 Pro Key after doing clean install of Windows: I can't activate Windows 11 Pro with the key that I purchased for it after doing a clean install of Windows. It remains stuck at Windows 11 Home Edition.Can someone assist?...
  4. If phone link is active, my airpods will connect to the computer, but no sound will come...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If phone link is active, my airpods will connect to the computer, but no sound will come...: Just to clarify, my airpods will connect through bluetooth, but when my phone is also connected through the PhoneLink app, no sound will come out of the airpods. I can only play sound through the computer's speakers. As soon as I forget my phone device in settings, the sound...
  5. If phone link is active, my airpods will connect to the computer, but no sound will come...

If phone link is active, my airpods will connect to the computer, but no sound will come...: Just to clarify, my airpods will connect through bluetooth, but when my phone is also connected through the PhoneLink app, no sound will come out of the airpods. I can only play sound through the computer's speakers. As soon as I forget my phone device in settings, the sound...
  6. Windows 11 Factory Reset Activation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Factory Reset Activation: Hello Microsoft Community Members,I'm worried about suspicious keylogger software in my PC. I don't know my PC really has keylogger or not but I don't feel safe about it. I just want to factory reset my PC with reinstalling Windows 11 Pro. I know how to reset my PC but just...
  7. Windows 11 Factory Reset Activation

Windows 11 Factory Reset Activation: Hello Microsoft Community Members,I'm worried about suspicious keylogger software in my PC. I don't know my PC really has keylogger or not but I don't feel safe about it. I just want to factory reset my PC with reinstalling Windows 11 Pro. I know how to reset my PC but just...
  8. Purchased more space but it isn't activating.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased more space but it isn't activating.: I recently passed my storage capacity and had to purchase more space. After the purchase, my account states that i am only using %1 of my storage space but am still unable to receive, or send emails as if im still full. When i try to send an email or receive one with another...
  9. Purchased more space but it isn't activating.

Purchased more space but it isn't activating.: I recently passed my storage capacity and had to purchase more space. After the purchase, my account states that i am only using %1 of my storage space but am still unable to receive, or send emails as if im still full. When i try to send an email or receive one with another...
  10. Purchased more space but it isn't activating.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging