Windows 10: Windows 10 Add NAS locations to search index

Discus and support Windows 10 Add NAS locations to search index in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hmm. Am I the only one thinking this would we a nice thing? I seem to be unable to add any UNC/NAS drive location to the Windows Search Index. I read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by loungebob, Jul 15, 2015.

1. loungebob Win User

Windows 10 Add NAS locations to search index

Hmm. Am I the only one thinking this would we a nice thing? I seem to be unable to add any UNC/NAS drive location to the Windows Search Index. I read only in previous 32bit versions there was an "Add UNC Path" tab within the index applet but not for 64bit. What gives? Do we not need to index mapped NAS drives? And if not, why not?

And no, I dont want to add them to the libraries. I dont use and like the library crap.

:)

loungebob, Jul 15, 2015

2. SEARCH Win 10

How to index Files on a NAS in order to view them with the search button (WIN 10 Home)

Christian_1944, Jul 15, 2015
  3. Cortana not finding documents unless they are in C:\users

I just stumbled upon this so you might have found the answer or reverted to windows 7 by now, but.. I found this solution while trying to solve the same problem:

How to add new Cortana search file locations on Windows 10

basically for me the D drive (which is where my onedrive is located too) was deselected for search indexing (indexing options).

Hopefully this works for you.

LewisJSullivan, Jul 15, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

Yes I'd agree, I have a NAS and constantly have to search it for files or to confirm that files have been updated.

I personally wouldn't recommend adding NAS files to libraries anyway; NAS is meant for backups not for mainstream use.

swarfega, Jul 15, 2015
  5. loungebob Win User
    Well, partially agree. I have a dedicated NAS for backup. But also a few that serve as media servers. Those I would very much like indexed. How is this Windows 10 or even 2015? I do understand MS reasoning behind it - saying it shouldnt double duty on another file system (when NTFS already supplies all the meta data necessary) but I don't care, then get together with the NAS providers, use APIs to expose that information from the NAS to Windows Search Index or simply take over and search the NAS and index it.

loungebob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Add NAS locations to search index - Similar Threads - Add NAS locations

2. How do I add NAS to index?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I add NAS to index?: Added NAS 3 weeks ago and moved gigs of files there. Searching in that new directory yeilds nothingHow do I add NAS to indexing? network does not show as search target....
  3. How do I add NAS to index?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add NAS to index?: Added NAS 3 weeks ago and moved gigs of files there. Searching in that new directory yeilds nothingHow do I add NAS to indexing? network does not show as search target....
  4. Problem Indexing NAS Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem Indexing NAS Drive in Windows 10: Does anyone know how to Index a network drive in Windows 10? I cannot get the network drive location to show up in the Indexing Options. FYI: I'm looking for a solution that does not require me to store the NAS contents locally. Thank you to anyone who may be able and...
  5. Add a NAS location to Windows 10 Index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add a NAS location to Windows 10 Index: I want my network folder to be indexed by Windows. I am using Siemens Solid Edge 2020 with Solid Edge Data Management [SEDM] which needs Windows Indexing to work properly. We work on 2 separate PC's and store our drawingdata on a Synology 218+ NAS. This way we have acces to...
  6. Index NAS

Index NAS: I saved all my documents on my NAS. How can I index them 20921
  7. index Documents on NAS

index Documents on NAS: The folder 'My Documents' is on my Nas-server. How can I index this folder. In windows 7 I used Library Tool, in my opinion it is not working on W10 9615
  8. Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Locations for Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the...
  9. Change Search Index Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Search Index Location in Windows 10: How to: Change Search Index Location in Windows 10 How to Change Storage Location of Search Index in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and...
  10. Add or Remove File Types for Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove File Types for Search Index in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove File Types for Search Index in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove File Types for Search Index in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search...