Windows 10: Windows 10 - adding shortcut from a specific file to the Start Menu

Discus and support Windows 10 - adding shortcut from a specific file to the Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; All I want to do is add a shortcut to the Start Menu from a specific .xls file that I use every day. But it seems you can only add shortcuts to folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ZyxtSaw, Jun 27, 2019.

1. ZyxtSaw Win User

Windows 10 - adding shortcut from a specific file to the Start Menu

All I want to do is add a shortcut to the Start Menu from a specific .xls file that I use every day. But it seems you can only add shortcuts to folders or apps/programs.

I looked through the thread here (now locked), and it seems Microsoft have yet to come up with a simple solution. There's a load of geekspeak in the thread that I did not understand, and not being enough of a geek myself to risk trying any of it, I have devised my own workaround. It's not perfect. It requires two clicks instead of one to open the. xls file, but it is nice and simple to organise.

1. Go to the folder containing the file you want to use.

2. Right-click on it, then click "Create Shortcut" (near the bottom of the drop-down).

3. That will create a shortcut in the same folder.

4. Cut the shortcut and paste it into "This PC/Documents" folder.

Now, when you have the Start Menu open, you can click on the documents icon (bottom left of the screen) and when that opens, click on the shortcut to your file. Naturally, you can add more often-used files to this folder.

Now, my question to Microsoft. Why have you not yet fixed this? You've basically replaced Desktop with Start Menu but made it less useful. Come on. It's been years since this question was first asked.

:)

ZyxtSaw, Jun 27, 2019
  2. Frick Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Jun 27, 2019
  3. Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

I hate the fact that the control panel classic is missing from windows 10. My work around was simply to type in control panel in the start menu search bar and then pin the resulting control panel shortcut to the start menu quick access panel or taskbar

I think I'm unwilling to change with the times *Smile Windows 10 - adding shortcut from a specific file to the Start Menu :)

jboydgolfer, Jun 27, 2019
  4. Gg001 Win User

Only certain shortcuts appear in Windows 10 Start Menu search

I added a number of custom shortcuts to my Start menu in Windows 7 and 8 for easy access (Start + typing to get to them) but only some of them appear in the results in Windows 10. For example, shortcuts to a specific folder don't appear (F:\My Project\Folder)
    but if I change it to Explorer (%windir%\explorer.exe /e,F:\My Project\Folder) it does. Does it only show .exe files? Shortcuts to .sln (Visual Studio solution files) or other data files don't appear. Also, some .bat files I have in my Documents folder
    also don't appear, but if I put a .txt file in the same folder it does. Are there settings for this filter?

Some information to head off suggestions:

• I don't have more than 512 entries in my Start menu. I already ran "get-startapps | measure" in PowerShell and it's 264. Also, the non-.exe shortcuts do appear in the All Apps menu, just not in search results.
    • It says "Indexing Complete" in the Indexing Options with thousands of results. It's not still working on it. It saw the text file and the shortcut I made point to Explorer immediately so it can see files in those folders.
    • In Indexing Options > Advanced > File Types everything is checked, including .sln and .bat files. I've also ran the troubleshooter, rebuilt the index, and waited for it to complete.

Gg001, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - adding shortcut from a specific file to the Start Menu - Similar Threads - adding shortcut specific

2. Remove ads from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove ads from Start Menu: Can we finally remove the ads from the Start Menu?Or why do you need more than the $150 I already paid you? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-ads-from-start-menu/bad8b655-6579-4a15-b100-c993169b51cf
  3. Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?: For diagnosing purposes I need to add a batch file to Windows Startup menu and it must be run with the administrator privileges. For that I created a shortcut to it.There is not any problem when I execute it by hand, however Windows Startup ignores that entry.Please...
  4. Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?

Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?: For diagnosing purposes I need to add a batch file to Windows Startup menu and it must be run with the administrator privileges. For that I created a shortcut to it.There is not any problem when I execute it by hand, however Windows Startup ignores that entry.Please...
  5. Adding batch file shortcut to Startup menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  7. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  8. Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu

Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu: Hi I have added a new apps shortcut in Start menu via shell:AppsFolder->Desktop Shortcut->Start menu shortcut, but I have 2 issues: 1 - shortcut in menu does not show the app icon 2- app does not appear in search result 2.1 - i have deleted an rebuild the search index...
  9. Adding shortcut icon to the start menu

Adding shortcut icon to the start menu: I have created a powershell script for a custom shutdown. Is it possible to add the shortcut icon to the start menu. See image. [img] 159199
  10. Adding Internet Explorer Shortcut to Start Menu

in Browsers and Email
    Adding Internet Explorer Shortcut to Start Menu: Thanks for taking a look at my issue. I am trying to add the IE shortcut to my start-menu but I am finding it very difficult. I found some instructions online but they seem very complicated given that I am able to add other shortcuts with ease. Thanks! 117120

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows how to add shortcut to specific file