Windows 10: Windows 10 admin password recovery disk not working, can't access password security questions?

Discus and support Windows 10 admin password recovery disk not working, can't access password security questions? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Lenovo T450s machine running Windows 10 Pro v. 1803. Shortly after purchasing I set up both an admin account and a user account (my kids use the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OsitoH, Jan 21, 2019.

1. OsitoH Win User

Windows 10 admin password recovery disk not working, can't access password security questions?

Lenovo T450s machine running Windows 10 Pro v. 1803. Shortly after purchasing I set up both an admin account and a user account (my kids use the machine on occasion). I configured the admin account with password security questions. I also created a password recovery file for the admin account on a thumb drive. Now a year later I don't remember the admin password, so I try to reset the password by trying to access and change through the security questions...except that for some reason the security questions aren't showing up as an option to facilitate password reset, and the machine wants a recovery file on a thumb drive. Strange. So I plug in the thumb drive and begin a password reset. The machine recognizes the drive, sees the recovery file, initiates the password reset wizard, allows me to enter and confirm a new password, but when I attempt to apply the new password I get an error message stating that an error occurred while running the wizard. What?!?!

I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried to reset multiple times, have restarted the machine, etc. I have I have spent over two hours searching the internet - including Microsoft community forum discussions - trying to find an answer to my problem. I also tracked down a networking professional in one of my LinkedIn groups, and what I am running into has him stumped also - his machines (Lenovo and Dell laptops) running the same Windows 10 Pro offer him the option to use either security questions or a recovery disk to reset his admin password.

Help? Has anyone run into this before, or can anyone provide a solution outside of resetting the machine?

:)

OsitoH, Jan 21, 2019
  2. Namslas90 Win User

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Jan 21, 2019
  3. freeboy Win User
    admin password?

my repair windows install keeps failing due to "what is admin password" ?
    How do I either find it? It is my computer and Ia am the admin or change it? this is for disk D and It is booting from c...

freeboy, Jan 21, 2019
  4. Windows 10 admin password recovery disk not working, can't access password security questions?

Windows 7 Admin Password recovery

I use USB boot disk with Offline NT Password, works well!

ChristTheGreat, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 admin password recovery disk not working, can't access password security questions?

1. Windows 10 admin password recovery disk not working, can't access password security questions? - Similar Threads - admin password recovery

2. Change security questions for password recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change security questions for password recovery: Having difficulties with changing account security questions. Cannot find the option to change them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-security-questions-for-password-recovery/703cf5a3-4f6a-44f5-8d55-6705537d493a
  3. Change security questions for password recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change security questions for password recovery: Having difficulties with changing account security questions. Cannot find the option to change them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-security-questions-for-password-recovery/703cf5a3-4f6a-44f5-8d55-6705537d493a
  4. Forgot password, no security questions and no recovery usb. How to get in?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forgot password, no security questions and no recovery usb. How to get in?: Helping granddaughter. Initially Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 260 would not turn on. I removed battery and got it working using adapter. Next problem: she’s forgotten password. Looking for options on how to proceed....
  5. FORGOTTEN SECURITY QUESTIONS AND PASSWORD

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    FORGOTTEN SECURITY QUESTIONS AND PASSWORD: Last night I lost access to my laptop via my fingerprint scanner. No idea what happened. I have a Lenovo C740 Yoga laptop The only way I can now logon to my laptop is via a Password or PIN number. I do not know either of these. To reset my Password, I can answer 3...
  6. No password, no answers to the security questions

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No password, no answers to the security questions: I have a stand-alone pc no internet access I am trying to give away. Booting brings up the windows 10 pretty picture. Press any key asks for a password under the user name Name. When my wife was using this computer, there was no such user. We tried dozens of passwords. We...
  7. Admin Password is not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Admin Password is not working: I have an admin password set up and it is not working, and will not let me in my work computer. it is windows 7 dell computer with windows 10 now installed. I have tried the Power shift option but I cannont have all my work files delete. I need help getting my computer...
  8. Can't remember admin password

Can't remember admin password: So i just deleted a driver due to BSOD and when I reset my computer it put me in automatic repair mode. The only issue is that I don't know my password and I need to get IN to windows to reset it but I cant because it keeps putting me in automatic repair mode! Ive tried to...
  9. Admin password recovery

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Admin password recovery: To be clear about this I have not forgotten my admin sign in password on W10. I had it written down and its correct, yet after waking from Sleep mode my PC wont accept it anymore. I have a User Account, but the Admin account is the main one and everythings on it. I have...
  10. password recovery disk

password recovery disk: How do I create a password recovery disk in Windows 10. I went to the Control Panel place that has the link to do that but nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-recovery-disk/961ada96-e04e-4946-9b5a-949b98b820ff"