Windows 10: Windows 10 after free offer ends

Discus and support Windows 10 after free offer ends in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi my friend is unsure if he wants Windows 10 or not...he currently has XP. It has passed the Windows 8 compatability test, so will accept Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by reddwarf4ever, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Windows 10 after free offer ends

Hi
    my friend is unsure if he wants Windows 10 or not...he currently has XP. It has passed the Windows 8 compatability test, so will accept Windows 10. If I install Windows 7 pro as a clean install, then upgrade to Windows 10....but after the 30 days, decide to reinstall Windows 7, will Ithen be able to reinstall Windows 10 at some time in the future, without cost. I hope that once windows 10 is installed, that a key is generated for his PC which will allow him to reinstall Windows 10 to the same PC at any time in the future....

Am I correct in these assumptions ???

thank you in advance...

:)

reddwarf4ever, Jun 15, 2016

2. windows10

Hi, After the free upgrade offer, Microsoft is providing Windows 10 as a paid product. The free upgrade offer ended on 28th July 2016. However, Microsoft still is providing the free upgrade to users using assistive technologies.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 15, 2016
  3. Gerry C J Cornell, Jun 15, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 after free offer ends

Haven't we answered this same question for you many times in the past? Nothing has changed. But here it is again for I don't know how many thousands of times now because it's easier for people to just ask the same question over and over and over again instead of looking it up.

Before July 29th, when a computer is upgraded from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to Windows 10 a digital entitlement is created for the computer for that version of Windows 10. The digital entitlement gets saved on Microsoft activation servers. Later installs of Windows 10 will activate by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers - even after the July 29th deadline, as long as the motherboard is the same and the same version of Windows 10 is installed. Going back to Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 in between Windows 10 installs does not affect the digital entitlement for Windows 10 stored on Microsoft activation servers. Upgrading to Windows 10 does not change anything with the product key for the Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 that it came from either.

It's nice of you to donate an unused retail Windows 7 product key to your friend, because that's the only way to do it legally.

NavyLCDR, Jun 16, 2016
  5. thanks for explaining that completely...

I had to ask for a definitive answer, as things change and I wouldn't be loved very much, if at some time in the future reverting to Windows 10 was rejected.....I do lots of upgrades fREE for local residents and friends.....so can't take any risks......thanks again

reddwarf4ever, Jun 16, 2016
  6. One further question.
    scenario 1- I install Windows 7 on a spare hard drive, then upgrade to Windows 10, I then roll back to Windows 7...Do I still own the COA for Windows 7 and can it be installed on the same computer onto a different Hard drive, using the original Windows 7 COA key
    scwnario-2 I clean install Windows 10 on a spare Hard drive, using the unused Windows 7 COA key. Later I decide to reinstall Windows 7 onto a different hard drive, same PC, can I still use the Windows 7 COA key or is that now lost

many thanks

I really hope I havnt asked this before, don't want to upset anyone.....

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Nothing happens to the Windows 7 product key when you use it to upgrade to Windows 10. One product key means 1 installation of Windows is allowed.

You are free to switch back and forth between Windows 7 and Windows 10 as much as you like as long as only one is installed at any time.

Think of the Windows 10 upgrade as just another copy of the Windows 7 that it came from. You can't have it on two computer's at once, you can't have it twice on the same computer, and if you give it away or sell it, you can't keep a copy of it yourself. But you can reinstall it as the only installed copy as many times as you want.

NavyLCDR, Jun 16, 2016
  8. Windows 10 after free offer ends

thank you, a very detailed explanation.....sorry to flog a dead horse, but had to be sure.....if I mess up my own installation that's one thing, but messing up someone else's is another.
    this info isn't easy to find, especially on MS sites, so thanks again...

9. DooGie Win User
    Good info there NavyLCDR.
    However the one thing that has always confused me is this. Say I've upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Retail. In the past I've upgraded my motherboard three times with that copy of win 7 without a problem. What happens now if I change my motherboard when I'm running Windows 10. Does my Windows 10 have a Retail License or has it been converted to an OEM license which is tied to the mobo?

DooGie, Jun 16, 2016
  10. roblinb Win User
    That's a really good question.

NavyLCDR do you know the answer? I'm actually going to be changing my main computer's motherboard in the next month or two, and didn't even think about this.

roblinb, Jun 16, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The digital entitlement for the FREE Windows 10 upgrade is for that device (motherboard) only. If you read the free upgrade terms on the webpages where Microsoft advertises the free upgrade you will see that they only offered to upgrade devices already running Windows 7/8/8.1. They did not offer to upgrade the license for Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 for free, only the device that it was installed on.

New motherboard = new device. You can install your retail license Windows 7/8/8.1 on it. You can also call Microsoft and hope they give you Windows 10 for it - but they never promised to for free after July 29th.

NavyLCDR, Jun 17, 2016
  12. DooGie Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll be buying a Windows 10 retail license then *Smile

DooGie, Jun 17, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

If you read the EULA though it quite clearly says if you had a retail Windows 7 or 8 then you can transfer the resulting upgraded 10.

Based on that I'm fully expecting to be able to transfer my Windows 10 that I upgraded from a retail version of 8. Will have to see of course but it seems pretty clear to me.

14. DooGie Win User
    So it isn't just me, it is confusing *Smile

I agree with what lx07 has just posted but there a lot of other experienced members who think otherwise.

When I finally decide to buy a new mobo and CPU it will be interesting to see what happens, until then I'll just remain confused *Smile

DooGie, Jun 17, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you accept a promotional offer, you accept the terms, conditions and limitations of that promotional offer. The promotional offer was for Microsoft to upgrade existing devices with Windows 7/8/8.1 installed on them to Windows 10. It's like buying a manufacturer refurbished computer - you get a computer in a box sealed from the factory by the manufacturer, you pay less for it, but the terms and conditions of purchasing the refurbished unit state that you only get a 30, 60 or 90 day warranty instead of the full 1 year full retail warranty (for example). If you want something more than was offered in the promotion then you have to obtain it outside the promotional offer.

But, like I also posted, when you upgrade, call Microsoft for activation and see if they will activate it for free for you. You can file a claim against Microsoft using the terms and conditions stated in the EULA as a basis (or threaten to) and Microsoft will probably just give you a full retail product key for Windows 10 because it is cheaper for them to do so than to even participate in arbitration.

NavyLCDR, Jun 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 after free offer ends - Similar Threads - free offer ends

2. Asking for free offer of Windows 10 Pro after reverting to Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asking for free offer of Windows 10 Pro after reverting to Windows 8.1: I had upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 Pro for free before 29 July 2016, but after that, I reverted to Windows 8.1. Now May I get a free offer of Windows 10 Pro again?...
  3. Asking for free offer of Windows 10 Pro after reverting to Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asking for free offer of Windows 10 Pro after reverting to Windows 8.1: I had upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 Pro for free before 29 July 2016, but after that, I reverted to Windows 8.1. Now May I get a free offer of Windows 10 Pro again?...
  4. Will the free upgrade to windows 10 will be offered again before windows 7 support ends?...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will the free upgrade to windows 10 will be offered again before windows 7 support ends?...: I am running windows 7 i previously installed windows 10 but had to roll back as a driver was not detected it seems that in some cases windows 10 will run on my system so i am tempted to try again do you know if a free upgrade to windows 10 will be offered again before...
  5. Free Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade offer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade offer: I have Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit created on USB through the Media Creation Tool will Windows 7 users still be able to use there Windows 10 Pro 64 as activated if something goes wrong after July 29,2016 28187
  6. Reupgrading after the free period ends.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reupgrading after the free period ends.: I have just been asked an interesting question, and I could not answer for sure. Suppose you are running 8.1, then upgrade, and rollback in the free period. We all know that establishes a digital licence. We also know we can clean install at any time in the future....
  7. New end of free Windows 10 upgrade offer notification

in Windows 10 News
    New end of free Windows 10 upgrade offer notification: If you have Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), the following full-screen notification might appear on your computer: Sorry to interrupt, but this is important. Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends July 29. [img] This notification is a reminder...
  8. Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends: Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends When Windows 10 was released to consumers in July of 2015, it was free for all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users — for one year. This was a new tactic for Microsoft. Instead of having consumers pay for...
  9. Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really

in Windows 10 News
    Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really: Clarified: the free upgrade offer to Windows 10 is ending July 29th, really Microsoft has responded to speculation that Microsoft left itself some wiggle room Yesterday, we reported on speculation that Microsoft may have been hedging on its decision to end the free...
  10. Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Devices – Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Devices – Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon: As we near the one year anniversary of the availability of Windows 10, we’re excited to share that Windows 10 is now running on 300 million active devices around the world. We’re pleased to see Windows 10 become one of the largest online services in less than a year. Core...