Windows 10: Windows 10 after hard drive change

Discus and support Windows 10 after hard drive change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi - my dog jumped on me as I watched a movie last night and knocked my laptop off and it stopped working...said could not find hard drive and we could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by YogiEm, Jan 30, 2021.

1. YogiEm Win User

Windows 10 after hard drive change

Hi - my dog jumped on me as I watched a movie last night and knocked my laptop off and it stopped working...said could not find hard drive and we could hear hard drive clicking. We had an old laptop from years ago where the power just stopped working, so my husband swapped the hard drives and the laptop works fine now....except it now has Windows 8.1 on it with that awful apps screen rather than the Windows 10 that I did have on it. It also is a HP laptop with an Acer background! :

I rang Microsoft support and the guy insisted that the version of windows shouldn't change just because the hard drive was swapped out, but that's what seems to have happened.

Is there any way I can find my old activation code to reactivate windows 10....the help guy said to run "slui 4" but that those numbers referred to a windows 8 installation.....or is there a way I can update my current installation to windows 10 now?

Thanks in advance for any help! :

:)

YogiEm, Jan 30, 2021
  2. little cat, Jan 30, 2021
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 after hard drive change - Similar Threads - hard drive change

2. Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive: I want to change my hard disk as it is low on storage. I am using a Windows 10 Home. Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299.I already have activated windows 10 on my new hard drive but I am not sure which version. .After changing the hard drive should I activate windows again on...
  3. Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive: I want to change my hard disk as it is low on storage. I am using a Windows 10 Home. Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299.I already have activated windows 10 on my new hard drive but I am not sure which version. .After changing the hard drive should I activate windows again on...
  4. Activation of Windows After Change of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. It is fairly old, bought new around 2007ish. It came with Windows 7 as the original OS. Over the years, it has updated to newer versions all on its own. It's now running Windows 10.A couple of weeks ago, it was attempting to update to the newest...
  6. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. It is fairly old, bought new around 2007ish. It came with Windows 7 as the original OS. Over the years, it has updated to newer versions all on its own. It's now running Windows 10.A couple of weeks ago, it was attempting to update to the newest...
  7. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. No Windows 10 after a hard drive change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Windows 10 after a hard drive change: Good afternoon!I was hoping to get some help with my computer - a Dell model that I bought new with Windows 10 already on it a dew years ago.Last week the hard drive died and I decided to buy a new one and replace it rather than buy a new computer. I managed to do that but...
  9. Windows Activation after hard drive change

Windows Activation after hard drive change: I've recently changed out my SSD and reinstalled Windows on the new one. Ever since I have troubles with activating Windows. When I choose the troubleshoot option, then choose "I recently changed hardware on this device" I always get the message "Unable to activate Windows We...
  10. Windows 10 activation after changing hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 activation after changing hard drive: The hard drive broke down a few months ago.This PC had a license bound to this PC. I gave the PC to the service center and they changed the hard drive. Since that moment I have been facing issues with Windows activation - the system requires that I activate the Windows 10...