Windows 10: Windows 10 After Hardware Changes

Discus and support Windows 10 After Hardware Changes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows 10 Single Language (upgraded from Windows 8.1 SL OEM) 64bit and I'm planning to make a hardware change (CPU. mainboard, GPU, case,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cliffflip, Mar 15, 2016.

1. cliffflip Win User

Windows 10 After Hardware Changes

Hi,
    I have Windows 10 Single Language (upgraded from Windows 8.1 SL OEM) 64bit and I'm planning to make a hardware change (CPU. mainboard, GPU, case, PSU, etc.). From what I read, if I change the CPU and/or mainboard, Windows needs to be activated again. Is this true? So I need to buy another Windows 10 key?

:)

cliffflip, Mar 15, 2016
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 15, 2016
  3. Inderet Win User
    Windows 10 after hardware change

I recently updated most of my hardware. But windows 10 isn't activated anymore. And since i got a free win 10 update i don't have a product key. I have no idea how i have to activate win 10 again.

Inderet, Mar 15, 2016
  4. Windows 10 After Hardware Changes

You will need a new license because you are changing the motherboard. Changing the Motherboard constitutes a new computer. You can change any other internal component but not the Motherboard and reactivate your existing Windows 10 license.

Pavlemipie, Mar 15, 2016
  5. cliffflip Win User
    Thanks for the reply!

Is that true that changing the mainboard without clean Windows install will results instability for my system?

cliffflip, Mar 15, 2016
  6. Yes it may cause instability. Clean install is recommended.

Pavlemipie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 After Hardware Changes

1. Windows 10 After Hardware Changes - Similar Threads - Hardware Changes

2. Reactivating Windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows after hardware change: Hello, Seeking advice from anyone, particularly Microsoft support. I've just completed a major hardware change. New motherboard, processor and ram. I've never done this before so wasn't sure what to expect. Everything has gone smoothly but I've noticed that I'm getting a pop...
  3. Reactivating Windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating Windows after hardware change: Hello, Seeking advice from anyone, particularly Microsoft support. I've just completed a major hardware change. New motherboard, processor and ram. I've never done this before so wasn't sure what to expect. Everything has gone smoothly but I've noticed that I'm getting a pop...
  4. Reactivating Windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working: Recently had to change my MB after a surge took the previous one out. After change I can no longer activate me copy of windows and get the code 0xC004F211 which confirmed it was a hardware change issue. I've tried the trouble shooter, wasn't able to activate and tells me to...
  6. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working: Recently had to change my MB after a surge took the previous one out. After change I can no longer activate me copy of windows and get the code 0xC004F211 which confirmed it was a hardware change issue. I've tried the trouble shooter, wasn't able to activate and tells me to...
  7. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. so, sometimes i change hardware on my device but i am on a laptop windows 11 home and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    so, sometimes i change hardware on my device but i am on a laptop windows 11 home and...: so, sometimes I change hardware on my device, but I am on a laptop windows 11 home and sometimes when I change hardware, my product key deactivates and I have an error message saying, "Something interrupted our troubleshooting. Make sure your connected to the Internet, wait a...
  9. so, sometimes i change hardware on my device but i am on a laptop windows 11 home and...

so, sometimes i change hardware on my device but i am on a laptop windows 11 home and...: so, sometimes I change hardware on my device, but I am on a laptop windows 11 home and sometimes when I change hardware, my product key deactivates and I have an error message saying, "Something interrupted our troubleshooting. Make sure your connected to the Internet, wait a...
  10. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020 OS build 19045.4291 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0 Hi, above info is of my current windows os on my pc. I'm changing my motherboard and cpu soon. My current cpu does not support...