Windows 10: Windows 10, allow saving files to a USB hard drive on same computer

Discus and support Windows 10, allow saving files to a USB hard drive on same computer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The problem that can show up in an application (Word, Excel or whatever else), that "you don't have permission to save to this device" can be fixed by,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mag007, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Mag007 Win User

Windows 10, allow saving files to a USB hard drive on same computer

The problem that can show up in an application (Word, Excel or whatever else), that "you don't have permission to save to this device" can be fixed by, first of all, changing the advanced sharing settings of the device. I changed to group Everyone (who is logged into the computer) having full control. In File Explorer, click on the external hard drive in question, then on Properties at the bottom. Click on Sharing on the Properties page, then on the Sharing tab and Advanced Sharing. Here you give a share name (I used the drive letter) and permissions - I specified Everyone and selected all the permissions).

Now you should be able to save into any folder, But if a folder has a Read-Only property, you have to also change that. I found that I could only take "read-only" status off and have it stick after I had changed the USB drive's Advanced Sharing as just described.

Of course you must have Administrator privileges to do these things. I described steps in a non-Workgroup procedure. It may be different for computers in a Workgroup.

There has been lots of confusion about this problem in various online forums. Hope this helps. *092

:)

Mag007, Dec 3, 2016
  2. Tuna001 Win User

Relocate Windows 10 to a new Hard drive

I have Windows 10 Pro updated from Windows 8 which was updated from Windows 7. The hard drive I have it installed on is too small to allow update files to be installed. Is it possible to create a media (USB preferred) to re-install windows 10 on a new
    drive in the same computer?

Tuna001, Dec 3, 2016
  3. Win 10 Upgrade from Win 7 Ultimate (64 bit) - Problems

The Knoppix disk suggestion is exactly what you are looking for. It allows you to get into your hard drive and save your files to another drive, like a usb drive, so you can save your stuff before recovering to Windows 7.

Cbarnhorst, Dec 3, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Hi Mag, welcome to 10Forum, nice of you to start with an advice.

CountMike, Dec 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10, allow saving files to a USB hard drive on same computer - Similar Threads - allow saving files

2. saving file to usb drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    saving file to usb drive: how does one save a file to a usb drive?I need the steps to do this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-file-to-usb-drive/0c02292a-7d2f-412d-885d-7da2031e7afd
  3. saving file to usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    saving file to usb drive: how does one save a file to a usb drive?I need the steps to do this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-file-to-usb-drive/0c02292a-7d2f-412d-885d-7da2031e7afd
  4. saving file to usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Saving multiple files to same drive

Saving multiple files to same drive: I am saving multiple images to the same folder, but every time a I pull up a different image to save, it redirects me back to the main drive on my pc instead of going directly back to most recently saved file. This only happens on certain computers. Is there a way to save...
  6. Printing hard drive saved .eml files

Printing hard drive saved .eml files: I am saving Mail .eml files to hard drive. Previously to print these saved files I have changed .eml to .mht and page printed by Internet Explorer. Since latest update on Windows 10, I cannot change file definition and hence can't print these saved files. How can I now print...
  7. Saving files to hard drive

Saving files to hard drive: I've just bought Microsoft Office and am using Windows 10 but I'm struggling to save Excel files to my hard drive. What is the likely problem...
  8. Windows 10 Home is allowing me to save the same exact file names in the same folder! How's...

Windows 10 Home is allowing me to save the same exact file names in the same folder! How's...: Hi Everyone. I've found a few sets of identical filenames with identical content using same code page UTF-8 and some Win-1252 existing side by side in the same folder! How's that possible? As you know, any OS, including Windows, won't allow you to save identical file...
  9. Windows 10 won't allow programs to save to 2 specific hard drives.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't allow programs to save to 2 specific hard drives.: I've just installed windows 10 for the first time. I previously had windows 7 installed on this computer. When I try to save any files from a browser to a downloads folder I created on a particular hard drive I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this...
  10. USB Hard Drive with Windows 10

USB Hard Drive with Windows 10: I have a Western Digital Elements external USB drive and whenever I plug it in I have to manually assign it a letter, which in itself is frustrating but manageable. The real problem is if I disconnect the drive and plug it back in, I need to assign it again, however the...