Windows 10: Windows 10 almost 90gb in size?

Discus and support Windows 10 almost 90gb in size? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks, I got a small form factor pc for my son last week, came with windows 8.1 had some programs installed and the space occupied was about 40gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by donegaljoe, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Windows 10 almost 90gb in size?

Hi folks,

I got a small form factor pc for my son last week, came with windows 8.1 had some programs installed and the space occupied was about 40gb out of 500gb on the C drive.

Anyways I partitioned the drive (he wont be putting a lot of stuff on it) to store my image backups of C creating another drive E with about 97gb on it.

The C drive now has 351 GB capacity (recovery Reset drive is just over 14 gb) so those sums add up ok

Anyways I installed windows 10 and now the used space on Drive C is now just under 90Gb.
    I have installed little else, and have managed to delete the windows.old folder but just think that 90GB used space is a bit too much for a new PC. I have ran disk clean up but same result.

Is this normal, and if not what could be the problem? I even went into the C drive (with hidden folders and system folders to be shown) and calculated each folder but to my reckoning it should all add up to less than 40gb.

I have also did an error check on the drive, drive came up as ok, and turned off system restore to see if that helped, same result.

I also did a avast scan and malewarebytes scan, they did show up infections even on windows 8.1 like Backdoor Bifrose , but all that has been taken care of, come up as clean now.

Is just under 90Gb used space for a relatively new computer upgraded from windows 8.1 normal?

Thanks for any help
    Joe

:)

donegaljoe, Jan 17, 2016

2. how to copy one bootable windows system to a new hard drive and make the new drive bootable in windows 10

i have the same issues, my seagate 1tb is dying, constant OS hanging and just 3 days ago lost almost 90GB of data, so i went and bought a 2tb toshiba and used acronis to clone the drive, but the partition is not bootable and i cant find any straight answers
    on how to fix it. currently im using a Win10PE disk to research options. ive been trying to solve this same simple issue for about 2.5 days now.

puddlejumper6999, Jan 17, 2016
  3. Problem installing updates in window 10

Well my storage usage on systems & reserved went half way down. Before system files had up to 90gb. Still had a problem installing updates (0x800705b4)

LinoIbarra, Jan 17, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Windows 10 almost 90gb in size?

Hi, Joe. Yeah, that seems like a bit much. Have you given the free version of WizTree a try to get a better view of where the space resides in the directory tree? https://antibody-software.com/web/so...ur-hard-drive/

I see you've turned off system restore and, as far as I know, that should have deleted any existing restore points. Can you double check that you had OKed or Applied that settings change?

Word Man, Jan 17, 2016
  5. Thank you for reply Word Man.

I have inserted the image here from the above program. As you can see system volume information takes up quite a bit of the disk space, though I have reduced it a lot in past but still used disk space showing well over 80gb in size.

Only thing I can think of is with windows 8 before the upgrade I did have restore amount very high probably going on 70GB of space as I was having trouble with windows, and I am not sure if I decreased it before upgrading to 10.

Now it seems it is holding on to this setting even though I reduce the amount in system restore configure.

Maybe I am reading it all wrong I don't know....but here are the screenshots, Can I delete this folder and then reconfigure system restore?

Windows 10 almost 90gb in size? [​IMG]

I have turned off system restore but if I am reading this right its still showing as containing over 42GB

Thanks a lot for any help

Joe

donegaljoe, Jan 18, 2016
  6. chemie Win User
    system restore
    recycle bin
    page file
    hibernate file

disable all that you do not want

chemie, Jan 18, 2016
  7. Thanks for reply.

The trouble is though I turn system restore off is it still using over 42GB of space, that is if I am reading this right.

Joe

donegaljoe, Jan 18, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

Run this command:

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=500MB

9. Word Man Win User
    Sorry, Joe, not ignoring, was finishing up a work day and commuting. Hope the vssadmin resize is the magic you need! 42.5 GB is quite a chunk of change!

Word Man, Jan 18, 2016
  10. Thanks guys for suggestions. I ran that command but didn't work tried a few times both with system restore on and off.

Ah well, getting late here so off for the night.

Thanks a million again for all the help

Joe

donegaljoe, Jan 18, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    This command has always worked. What exactly happened that the command did not work. I hope you pasted it, else errors are possible.

12. Word Man Win User
    Please try again from an elevated (admin) command prompt.

Word Man, Jan 18, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

Yeah right, I forgot to mention that. For me it is normal. If it is not elevated, nothing works in cmd. Thanks for jumping in.

14. topgundcp Win User
    @donegaljoe
    Yes, try again as suggested by Word Man. If still does not work then this folder is corrupted. You will need to use other mean to delete it.
    My suggestion is to download: Download - Linux Mint and use: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way to create a bootable USB. Boot up with the USB then delete the folder: "System Volume Information". Reboot and Windows will re-create this folder.

topgundcp, Jan 18, 2016
  15. Thanks guys for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Well guess what, I went to switch the computer on and its totally dead, so has to go back for supplier to fix as its got three years support, probably will take a few weeks.

As regards the command prompt I did run it as admin, right clicking on start on windows 10 and using run as admin there, the command ran successfully and did reduce system restore space to 500mb, but nevertheless that 42gb folder in system volume was still there.

The above suggestion to download Linux Mint seems good as well. I wonder if I can create a live DVD with that and somehow browse to the system volume and delete that way? Or I have to use Rufus as well?

Anyway folks, will have to get the computer back first after repair. I will keep updated as regards this problem.

Thanks to all for your kind help.
    Joe

donegaljoe, Jan 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 almost 90gb in size? - Similar Threads - almost 90gb size

2. Windows 10 almost destroyed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 almost destroyed: My windows 10 copy is almost destroyed, I can't access "reset this PC" there is no restore point, almost nothing works. PLEASE. HELP. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-almost-destroyed/a5079562-ce95-4e67-9e1d-d7023f94e6ad
  3. Windows 10 almost destroyed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 almost destroyed: My windows 10 copy is almost destroyed, I can't access "reset this PC" there is no restore point, almost nothing works. PLEASE. HELP. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-almost-destroyed/a5079562-ce95-4e67-9e1d-d7023f94e6ad
  4. Windows 10 almost destroyed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WHERE IS THE SCREEN SIZE SIZE SIZE NOT RESOLUTION BUT SCREEN SIZE FOUND ON MY WINDOWS 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHERE IS THE SCREEN SIZE SIZE SIZE NOT RESOLUTION BUT SCREEN SIZE FOUND ON MY WINDOWS 10...: It is NOT my TV. It is NOT resolution. It IS the displayed screen size. I need to bring the borders of my screen IN. EVERY option found online does NOTHING save say... change the resolution... or icon size... where my displayed screen border still DOESN'T FIT regardless of...
  6. WHERE IS THE SCREEN SIZE SIZE SIZE NOT RESOLUTION BUT SCREEN SIZE FOUND ON MY WINDOWS 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHERE IS THE SCREEN SIZE SIZE SIZE NOT RESOLUTION BUT SCREEN SIZE FOUND ON MY WINDOWS 10...: It is NOT my TV. It is NOT resolution. It IS the displayed screen size. I need to bring the borders of my screen IN. EVERY option found online does NOTHING save say... change the resolution... or icon size... where my displayed screen border still DOESN'T FIT regardless of...
  7. WHERE IS THE SCREEN SIZE SIZE SIZE NOT RESOLUTION BUT SCREEN SIZE FOUND ON MY WINDOWS 10...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows 10 almost as if disappeared but still there

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 almost as if disappeared but still there: I recently updated my pc and when I turned it back on windows star search and everything but apps stopped working in my taskbar. I looked at many tutorials and some said to go to the task manager my task manager is completley blank. I try to go to peraonilazition. It says my...
  9. Windows 10 and size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 and size: Is it possible to install windows 10 on a pc that ONLY has 4 GBs of storage? The answer is obviously no, so let me rephrase the question: Can you make you windows 10 installer so lite by using Win toolkit to make it fit within those 4 GBs? submitted by /u/nagas3000...
  10. Windows 10 size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 size: Hello! I would like to know how many GB windows 10 home x64 bits, with all updates. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-size/b6f79294-e1bd-483d-b0e9-f333ef0c4e9b