Windows 10: Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps

Discus and support Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Following the recent upgrade to v1903, Alt-Tab is now showing unexpected results when used to switch between running applications. So far this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mizu no oto, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps

Following the recent upgrade to v1903, Alt-Tab is now showing unexpected results when used to switch between running applications. So far this is restricted to Excel - I have not seen it anywhere else.

The issue is shown in the screen photo (unable to take screenshot because I was holding down Alt-Tab to show it!) I have several applications running, including Excel 2013 (with one workbook). This is outlined at bottom left. However, you can see two additional "ghost" items at bottom right. They are titled "Excel" but show no contents. I can tab to them as usual, but on releasing the Alt key they resolve into the master Excel application view.

Note that this is NOT the often-quoted "need to tab twice" issue. There is only one workbook open and I can tab to and from it easily. The issue is the unwanted ghosts that clutter up the Alt-Tab screen. They were not there before the Windows update.

Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps bc5df243-7156-4a72-9ffc-eaecb3a3d286?upload=true.jpg

:)

mizu no oto, Jul 21, 2019

2. Alt + Tab from excel to other programs.

Problem is prevailing with Excel 2007 on windows 10 plat form.

I agree with you and alt + Tab responds in one key stoke by switching from excel to other program if only one excel file is opened. If you open multiple excel files and then try to switch from excel to program X(or another excel file), I need to
    operate alt +tab(2 times). This problem occurs only while switching from excel to other apps and not vice versa. Please check with the following combination in office 2007. Open 4 excel files and another program outlook and you can figure out the problem
    while switching between them. To switch from excel to outlook you will have to use alt + Tab(2 times),and vice versa it takes one key stoke of alt+ tab.

I have checked and the problem has been reported by my colleagues as well who have switched to windows 10 and have been working on office 2007.

I have been using windows vista, win-8 and have never faced this problem. I open several excel files during my work and have been facing lot of inconvenience and loss of time as I have to use different key stokes different time.

Microsoft technical person had come online and has seen and understood the problem through remote assistance and has recommended me to use office 2013, which is not the solution I am seeking.

Below suggested driver for key board was also installed during the remote assistance without success.

NandanBhambore, Jul 21, 2019
  3. ThorKhan Win User
    Forced to do "ALT-TAB-TAB" to switch instead of "ALT-TAB", when two Excel files are opened.

Normal version:

You hold ALT, then press TAB once, but keep ALT held. A window will appear with small windows of all opened programs and the next program on the list (the one you used before the current one) will be automatically marked. Once you release ALT, you will be
    switched to the marked program.

Hitting ALT+TAB quickly would allow for quick rotation between two programs.

NEW version for EXCEL (working whenever TWO Excel files are opened):

Now I wanted to do exactly that: copy data from Excel file A, ALT-TAB to file B and paste it.

With dismay I realized that some bonus feature was implemented now.

So now you hold ALT, then press TAB once with ALT being held. This time you no longer get switched to the last active program. No - your CURRENT program is marked. If you release the ALT button, you will simply stay in the current Excel file. Now I have
    to ALT-TAB and TAB again to get to the other Excel file.

What is heck? How can I eliminate this "feature" and flush it down the toilet? Double-tabbing thousands of times will definitely drive me completely nuts, so please help me out on that.

ThorKhan, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps

Alt + Tab from excel to other programs.

After installing windows 10, I am facing problem while switching from Excel (2007) to other programs.

Alt + Tab has to be used twice to move from excel (2007 )to other programs, where as to
    switch from any other program to excel
    alt +tab responds with one key stroke.

This problem has surfaced only after installing windows 10 and Alt + Tab was responding with one key stroke in windows 8 and earlier version.

NandanBhambore, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps

1. Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps - Similar Threads - Alt Tab shows

2. alt + tab not showing edge tabs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    alt + tab not showing edge tabs: alt + tab not showing edge tabs but in my settings it is selected. how can I solve this problem?changes in regedit did not solve the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alt-tab-not-showing-edge-tabs/38263121-8782-4afb-b2c1-c8af929ac6da
  3. alt + tab not showing edge tabs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    alt + tab not showing edge tabs: alt + tab not showing edge tabs but in my settings it is selected. how can I solve this problem?changes in regedit did not solve the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alt-tab-not-showing-edge-tabs/38263121-8782-4afb-b2c1-c8af929ac6da
  4. Strange ghost window while doing ALT + TAB

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange ghost window while doing ALT + TAB: I have a strange window showing while pressing ALT + TAB I really cannot understand what this can be Will be attaching a screenshot to make it more clear Thank you [ATTACH]...
  5. Windows 10 Alt + Tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Alt + Tab: I would like to revert the alt + tab functionality back to how it originally worked, where I could alt-tab back and forth between two recent windows, rather than having to scroll through every open window to get to the one I want. Every guide I've found online to do this no...
  6. Windows 10 alt tab

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 alt tab: How can I change tabs in windows 10 like I used to do it in windows 7. I used to do as following but its not working in windows 10. https://youtu.be/izAELokY6G8 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-alt-tab/9a672385-5e8c-4e5f-bfad-d63eda2c4116
  7. Windows 10 Alt + Tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Alt + Tab: My Alt + Tab has suddenly become noticeably slower compared to before. I have turned off Focus Assist as commonly advised by most articles on the internet regarding Alt + Tab lag in Windows 10 yet it still has not fixed the issue. I did notice that this began after having...
  8. Turn On or Off Show Tabs for Sets in Alt+Tab in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Show Tabs for Sets in Alt+Tab in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Show Tabs for Sets in Alt+Tab in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show Tabs for Sets in Alt+Tab in Windows 10 [img] Warning Sets is no longer available in Windows 10. Sets shell provided tab experience is no more in Windows 10 In...
  9. Win 10 Alt-Tab Order - Dword Addition - Will it work?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Alt-Tab Order - Dword Addition - Will it work?: For keyboard nerds like me [img] , this is one that I use many times daily. When I installed Win 7 back in 2010, I added this dword to revert the alt-tab order to the way it worked with XP & Vista (with logical order and without a Desktop icon choice in the Order icons). Win...
  10. Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show ALT+TAB Background Windows in Windows 10 When you press ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+TAB to switch between open windows in Windows 10, any windows in the background of ALT+TAB will show by default....