Windows 10: Windows 10: An update ate my SD Drive

Discus and support Windows 10: An update ate my SD Drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have been battling Windows 10...from Edge to Cortana and One Drive to inop Bluetooth to forced crash to a possessed pointer to flashing screens.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Erika Clark, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10: An update ate my SD Drive

I have been battling Windows 10...from Edge to Cortana and One Drive to inop Bluetooth to forced crash to a possessed pointer to flashing screens. Microsoft seems to be begging me to turn on my WIFI, but I dealt with that fresh hell Friday. So I went to make a a backup SD, but Microsoft completely disappeared my SD drive. Such an angry little program. I want to scrub the whole system and start fresh. I need GOOGLE CHROME for school software, so Edge demon may not stay. Also, I need to opt out of ALL of the privacy breaches Microsoft has scared the life out of me enforcing. It has been a nightmare. Is there a one and done fix? I am at wit's end. Help...

:)

Erika Clark, Aug 2, 2020
  2. David Haz Win User

Windows 10 recognizes my SD Card as a local drive

Jon,

You posted that you would try the suggested steps by Tryx3. May we have an update if the suggested steps have resolved the issue about your SD card being recognized as a fixed drive in Windows 10?

David Haz, Aug 2, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 2, 2020
  4. Tryx3 Win User

Windows 10: An update ate my SD Drive

Windows 10 recognizes my SD Card as a local drive

Jon,

I think you are saying that -

1 Disk management does not identify that SD card as removable, and

2 Device manager lists that SD card in its Disk drives entry but not in its
    Portable devices entry, and

3 Device manager, Disk drives, {SD card}, Properties, Volumes, Populate identifies that SD card Type as Basic [not as Removable].

I am rather astonished. I thought that this was going to turn into a Refresh issue. I have never heard of anything like your problem before.

I have a few suggestions for action followed by some advice about posting a new question on the topic in both this forum & TenForums [www.tenforums.com - auto-formatting is not working at the moment].

Suggestion 1 -

1.1 Go to Device manager and note the SD card
    reader Properties, Driver entry [my SD card reader is within the USB Controllers group but that does not mean yours is].

1.2 Go to the computer maker / SD card reader maker and get their latest Windows 10 driver for the SD card reader and install it.

1.3 Go to Device manager and note the new SD card reader Properties, Driver entry

Suggestion 2 - If you cannot do that then

2.1 Remove the SD card

2.2 If a zombie entry for the SD card remains in Device manager, Disk drives then delete it.

2.3 Go to Device manager and right-click, Uninstall the entry for the SD card reader [mine is within the USB Controllers group but that does not mean yours is].

2.4 Restart the computer straight away [merely to avoid any suspicion that observed symptoms might be left-overs from beforehand].

2.5 Windows will redetect the hardware as it starts. You can force it to by clicking on the Device manager toolbar's Scan for hardware changes icon but that really should not be necessary.

2.6 Go to Device manager and note the new SD card reader Properties, Driver entry

Suggestion 3 - If possible -

As Suggestion 2 but deliberately install the new driver at step 2.5 irrespective of what Windows has installed.

- - - - - - - - - - -

If these suggestions do not fix things then I think you need to post a new question on the subject. That will get you a better response than continuing with this current one.

Title - Device manager & Disk management show removable SD card as a fixed drive.

Description -

1 Disk management does not identify the SD card as removable, and

2 Device manager lists the SD card in its Disk drives entry but not in its
    Portable devices entry, and

3 Device manager, Disk drives, {SD card}, Properties, Volumes, Populate identifies the SD card Type as Basic [not as Removable].

4 [describe the effect of the problem - the contents of a previous SD card still being shown]

5 [describe the steps you have already taken to fix things - you can just cut and paste from this thread and then adjust verbiage]

- - - - - - - - - -

When you create your new questions, please paste links to them here so I can follow your progress.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10: An update ate my SD Drive

1. Windows 10: An update ate my SD Drive - Similar Threads - update ate Drive

2. Gmail ate my message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gmail ate my message: This is going to be weird, but since Google doesn't help its customers, I thought I'd ask you here. Just this evening,I got a message in Gmail in my spam folder that wasn't spam. When I clicked to move it to Inbox it vanished. Yes, I refreshed a coupleof times. But here's the...
  3. Gmail ate my message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gmail ate my message: This is going to be weird, but since Google doesn't help its customers, I thought I'd ask you here. Just this evening,I got a message in Gmail in my spam folder that wasn't spam. When I clicked to move it to Inbox it vanished. Yes, I refreshed a coupleof times. But here's the...
  4. One Drive ate my entire catalog of photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive ate my entire catalog of photos: I recently switched to a new computer new and old running Win 10 and 20 years of photos were stored on an external drive. that external drive and all of the photo files and folders were indexed in Adobe Lightroom Classic on the old machine. When I initiated the new computer,...
  5. Windows 10 Update ate my internet connection. Any ideas?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Update ate my internet connection. Any ideas?: I have tried most of the usual fixes. Restarts, router power downs, tried a dns flush. Tried configure release and renew. Tried manually entering a reliable open dns server ip. Nothing is working. I’ve tried it wired as well. Nothing. I have another computer here and it...
  6. One Drive ate my Pictures

One Drive ate my Pictures: I want to copy 15 years worth of photos from one PC to another PC. I want them on the PC hard drive, which has tons of space. The source PC does not have OneDrive enabled, the destination PC does. I copied a few gigs to a thumb drive and then the new PC. So far so good. The...
  7. My PC ate my CD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My PC ate my CD: Hello, I put a CD in my windows 10! and It was put in correct but some how when I tried to get the CD. It did not come! I think it stuck. Also I watched a video on YouTube that helped a lot of people here is the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFEFhFY3tLs. And I am also...
  8. sd drive

sd drive: My SD card slot will not allow me to push the card in and hear the click indicating the card is secured in the machine. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-drive/7898f1d4-52c7-4e4a-9810-c668e21fddad"
  9. OneDrive ate my hard drive and external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive ate my hard drive and external hard drive: I enabled OneDrive on my computers. My main computer seemed to get slower and slower. I clicked on "This PC" and my internal drive was red - showing about 20 GB space where there had been close to 200 GB a short time before. My external drives - one a 1 TB WD was...
  10. TH2 Ate My Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    TH2 Ate My Settings: I've updated two PCs from a 10586 MCT download this week, on one I chose to download updates, on the other I didn't. Both got settings reset, which I thought the further update was meant to fix. I will add to this list as I find them... New folders created for...