Windows 10: Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off

Discus and support Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have the following power settings, clearly stating that "when plugged in, pc goes to sleep [Never]".Can you tell me why both of these laptops Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by David Ford - Australia, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off

I have the following power settings, clearly stating that "when plugged in, pc goes to sleep [Never]".Can you tell me why both of these laptops Dell and Surface 6 turn off while on power ?

:)

David Ford - Australia, Mar 3, 2022

2. windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are facing issues with the Windows 10 Sleep, we will look into this for you. However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of your system?
    • Was there a major change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren't facing this issue?

Meanwhile, this issue could be related to the Hybrid sleep and the Fast Startup. Hence, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to turn off Hybrid Sleep:

1. Click on Start icon.
    2. Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    3. Click on Power Options, then click on Change plan settings.
    4. Click on Change advanced power settings and expand
      Sleep
      option.
    5. Now expand Allow hybrid sleep and then change settings to
      Off.
    6. Click on Apply and then OK.

Steps to turn off Fast Startup:

1. Click on the Start icon.
    2. Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    3. Click on Power Options.
    4. Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    5. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    6. Under Shutdown settings, uncheck the Turn on fast startup box.
    7. Click on Save changes. This will turn off fast startup.

Restart the system and check if the issue still persists.

We would also like you to open command prompt (Admin) after the PC wakes up. (Type in Windows search
    CMD and then right click on it, select Run as Administrator)

Then type the command as mentioned in the /lastwake & /energy
    section from this Powercfg command-line
    options
    article.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 3, 2022
  3. AlistairJ Win User
    Lenovo Laptop - Windows 10 - Power and Sleep Settings Not Working

Despite selecting 'Never' for 'When plugged in, turn off after' for both 'Screen' and 'Sleep' within the 'Power and Sleep Settings' window--please see attached screen dump--and my laptop being plugged in, it still goes to sleep / shuts down after a short time of inactivity. Can any suggest why it is doing this and how to fix it?

AlistairJ, Mar 3, 2022
  4. MRK4047 Win User

Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off

Windows 10 Sleep & Power Settings

Hi All,

I am having a continuous problem with my HP Envy Laptop. First my mouse would not bring the laptop out of sleep mode. I went back into the power/sleep settings tried to correct that issue. Now my mouse will bring the laptop back from sleep mode. At least
    I think it is sleep mode. However, when I shut down my laptop, the power light is still on and does not go off. I have to hold it down for a few seconds before it actually shuts down. Does any know the actual or proper settings fir the power/sleep modes
    for a laptop. In my research, they PC experts say not to put a laptop into hibernate mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set the power/sleep mode settings for this thing to perform correctly?

Thanks,

Mark

MRK4047, Mar 3, 2022
Thema:

Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off

1. Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off - Similar Threads - Power settings Sleep

2. Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off: I have the following power settings, clearly stating that "when plugged in, pc goes to sleep [Never]".Can you tell me why both of these laptops Dell and Surface 6 turn off while on power ?...
  3. Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 and 11 - Power settings, Sleep - "Never", yet laptop still switches off: I have the following power settings, clearly stating that "when plugged in, pc goes to sleep [Never]".Can you tell me why both of these laptops Dell and Surface 6 turn off while on power ?...
  4. PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never: My PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never How can I tell what is causing the sleep and after how long? What could be causing this? 179941
  5. windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never

windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never: windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shuts-down-despite-power-and-sleep/a08ed333-fbde-4142-a074-300de0b062ab
  6. Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off.

Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off.: Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off on any setting un plugged or plugged in but it still does and I cant leave my computer for more than 2 minutes without it turning off witch leaves me stuck trying to download something that...
  7. Computer set to SLEEP: NEVER, YET IT STILL SLEEPS. PAID ALMOST $100 TO FIX THIS ISSUE, PC...

Computer set to SLEEP: NEVER, YET IT STILL SLEEPS. PAID ALMOST $100 TO FIX THIS ISSUE, PC...: See "subject" above for my question. I am severely mentally ill and this is making me worse. This error has been going on over a year. The store that "fixed" my computer is now closed and can no longer help me. My computer never went to sleep when plugged in at the computer...
  8. Laptop Still Goes to Sleep Unexpectedly, Even With ALL Plugged-In Settings at "Never"

Laptop Still Goes to Sleep Unexpectedly, Even With ALL Plugged-In Settings at "Never": I've drilled down into every last menu and tree branch I can find in the power settings, and set my laptop to not go to sleep if I walk away for five minutes while it's plugged in to AC power. It still does. I don't want it to sleep, hibernate, or shut off, EVER, unless I...
  9. Laptop switching off when power to charge switched on.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop switching off when power to charge switched on.: Quite often my Dell Inspiron5758 laptop will, when I switch on the power to recharge, turn off. Has anyone any ideas what might be the cause? 123749
  10. Laptop going to sleep when idle (power options set to "Never")

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop going to sleep when idle (power options set to "Never"): When plugged in, this Toshiba laptop goes into sleep mode at roughly two minutes of idle time. When plugged in, I have the power options set to "Never". This just recently began occurring. Any ideas? 57465