Windows 10: Windows 10 and 802.11d (change in Wi-Fi regulatory domains)

Discus and support Windows 10 and 802.11d (change in Wi-Fi regulatory domains) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi community, I am traveling from Europe to US for a business trip. I work as a wireless engineer and I need to test customer Wi-Fi but I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChusTM, Feb 12, 2019.

1. ChusTM Win User

Windows 10 and 802.11d (change in Wi-Fi regulatory domains)

Hi community,

I am traveling from Europe to US for a business trip. I work as a wireless engineer and I need to test customer Wi-Fi but I am unable to use UNII-3 channels with my laptop (Lenovo with wNIC Intel 8265). Intel datasheet for the chipset 8265 specify it can work on all the domains (UNII-3 channels from 149 to 161 included) but I am unable to connect.

In Linux, there is a command to change the regulatory domain of the wNIC (iw reg set US) but I cannot found any feature to do that on Windows, nor the vendor driver.

On wireless networks, there is a standard known as 802.11d to inform the connected devices about the regulatory domain configured in the WLAN, for them to change the supported channels (in the case of US, avoid the use of 120 to 128, and allow the use of 149 to 161).

The result is that I cannot test the connectivity of part of outdoor network of the customer because I am not able to see the SSID on those channels. Is Windows 10 802.11d capable? Is there any way to change it as laptops sold in US can do it?

Regards.

Jesus

:)

ChusTM, Feb 12, 2019

2. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Windows 10 and no wi-fi

Hi Joachim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the methods below:

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on troubleshooting, then click on “Hardware and sound”.
    • Under Hardware and sound, click on “hardware and devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Method 2: The issue may occur if the drivers for Wi-fi are not installed or updated. I suggest you to install/update the latest version for Wi-fi drivers by following the steps below.

• Press ‘windows key + R’ and type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
    • Expand ‘Network adapter’ and right click on Wi-fi driver and select update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 12, 2019
  4. Windows 10 and 802.11d (change in Wi-Fi regulatory domains)

wi fi not working on windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the methods below:

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Under Hardware and sound, click on “hardware and devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Method 2: The issue may occur if the drivers for Wi-fi are not installed or updated. I suggest you to install/update the latest version for Wi-fi drivers by following the steps below.

• Press ‘windows key + R’ and type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
    • Expand ‘Network adapter’ and right click on Wi-fi driver and select update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 and 802.11d (change in Wi-Fi regulatory domains)

1. Windows 10 and 802.11d (change in Wi-Fi regulatory domains) - Similar Threads - 802 11d change

2. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  3. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  4. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 wi-fi.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 wi-fi.: I have two Windows PCs in my office but one of them is feeling its age. The newer they both have wi-fi cards installed but the newer one will only work with ethernet and the cable is old and about 45' feet long. How do I persuade the new machine to accept the wi-fi connection...
  6. Windows 10 wi-fi.

Windows 10 wi-fi.: I have two Windows PCs in my office but one of them is feeling its age. The newer they both have wi-fi cards installed but the newer one will only work with ethernet and the cable is old and about 45' feet long. How do I persuade the new machine to accept the wi-fi connection...
  7. Windows 10 wi-fi.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. regulatory domain limiting channels/frequencies

regulatory domain limiting channels/frequencies: inspirion 15-7559 intel wireless-ac 9260 and also happens with intel wireless-ac 8265 region: US the linux info mentioned below is for a better explanation of whats happening on windows on the same machine, behavior is identical and only begain after the latest big windows...
  9. Changes coming for Wi-Fi

Changes coming for Wi-Fi: Not exactly Win10 but the name/version changes will impact IT support both in simplifying and confusing things. But then that's always been a thorn in the side of techs, getting people to be precise and accurate in their descriptions of things. What Is Wi-Fi 6? New Wi-Fi...
  10. Changes coming for Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Support
    Changes coming for Wi-Fi: Not exactly Win10 but the name/version changes will impact IT support both in simplifying and confusing things. But then that's always been a thorn in the side of techs, getting people to be precise and accurate in their descriptions of things. What Is Wi-Fi 6? New Wi-Fi...