Windows 10: Windows 10 and audio over optical cable

Discus and support Windows 10 and audio over optical cable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I recently purchased new speakers, Logitech Z906. I am trying to make the digital output of W10 work with my speakers over an optical audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Trixx Darthor, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Windows 10 and audio over optical cable

Hi,

I recently purchased new speakers, Logitech Z906. I am trying to make the digital output of W10 work with my speakers over an optical audio cable.

My specs:

motherboard MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

speakers Logitech Z906

an optical cable Star II OPTO Tosslink<>Tosslink

current audio driver: Realtek UAD, v. 6.0.8858.1 12/10/2019 – the driver provided by MSI on the support page for my MOBO

What I tried:

I downloaded a DST sound demo from here: Animated Logo Lossless, audio: DTS-HD MA 5.1 48 kHz.

When played through VLC and enabled DST in preferences, I can hear properly all 6 channels.

In the device properties Realtek Digital Output Properties>Supported formats tab>Encoded formats section I tested DST audio and Dolby digital and both worked on all channels.

The problem is no other audio except for these two tests gets played through the digital output.

My understanding of the problematic:

Optical cable connection is superior to the 3 x 3.5 mm jack connection because of a more quality sound immunity to magnetic fields since there are quite a few cables behind my PC already with all those speakers, other peripheries, a lamp and so on.

My question:

Is there a way to get all audio system sounds, browser, games, other applications... to be played through digital output?

If not, am I correct the proper configuration of speaker connection then should be BOTH optical cable and 3 x 3.5 mm jack 6-channel audio? Then most sounds go through 3 x jack and only certain media e.g. a movie with DST sound played with VLC will be sent through the digital output?

I do not have the possibility of connecting the speakers through an HDMI port.

Thank you all for help! :

:)

Trixx Darthor, Apr 3, 2020
  2. ohGOSH Win User

optical cable not recognized by windows 10

so I unistalled and followed step 2 with no prevail. I can only get sound from my hdmi. My receiver needs to use optical for surround sound. my pc seems to think the optical cable is not connected but it is.

ohGOSH, Apr 3, 2020
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Windows 10 and audio over optical cable [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Apr 3, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

Windows 10 and audio over optical cable

optical cable not recognized by windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you.

To understand the issue better, let me know what is the make and model of the computer?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Outdated driver.

2. Missing Updates.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to download and install all the available Windows update and check if it helps.

Method 2:

I see that you have tried re-installing the drivers. However if you have not tried uninstalling the audio driver and installing the latest version of audio driver from the computer manufacturer website, you may try the same. Check if it
    helps.

Step 1: Uninstall the sound driver.

a. Press Windows Key + X and then click
    Device Manger.

b. Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers”.

c. Right-click on ‘High Definition Audio Device
    and select ‘uninstall’.

d. Follow the prompt and restart the computer.

Step 2:

If Windows 10 drivers are not available, I suggest you to install latest audio driver from computer manufacturer website in compatibility mode.

To install the audio driver
    in compatibility mode, I would suggest you to follow these steps:

a. Download the latest audio driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

b. Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

c. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

d. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and
    select latest Windows version from the drop down list.

e. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Apr 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 and audio over optical cable

1. Windows 10 and audio over optical cable - Similar Threads - audio optical cable

2. Soundbar Connected to PC via Optical Cable Only Outputs 2 Channel Audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Soundbar Connected to PC via Optical Cable Only Outputs 2 Channel Audio: I've connected my Sonos Beam Gen 2 to my PC using the Sonos provided HDMI cable and provided HDMI to Optical adapter.Windows and my motherboard's audio drivers are fully updated. My motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC supports 7.1 sound.The Sonos Beam Gen 2 also...
  3. Soundbar Connected to PC via Optical Cable Only Outputs 2 Channel Audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Soundbar Connected to PC via Optical Cable Only Outputs 2 Channel Audio: I've connected my Sonos Beam Gen 2 to my PC using the Sonos provided HDMI cable and provided HDMI to Optical adapter.Windows and my motherboard's audio drivers are fully updated. My motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC supports 7.1 sound.The Sonos Beam Gen 2 also...
  4. Soundbar Connected to PC via Optical Cable Only Outputs 2 Channel Audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Optical Digital Audio Disruption

Optical Digital Audio Disruption: Relevant Info:Windows 10 64 bitMotherboard: MSI MPG Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi Z590Audio Driver: RealTek 0009-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282Optical Audio Device: Creative SoundBlaster X7Problem:The optical audio coming from my computer will cut to complete static at random...
  6. Optical Audio Issues

Optical Audio Issues: My desktop has a standard audio jack that I can plug headphones into and use. This has worked completely fine until recently, where now my computer will detect that I have plugged them in swapping the active sound device from my monitor speakers or bluetooth headphones and...
  7. Delayed optical audio output

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delayed optical audio output: The original thread was locked, but I'm having the same issue as here: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/4ijiaf/slight_delay_before_audio_through_speakers_using/ Basically, if no sound has been output via the SPDIF of my Asus XONAR SE for 5-10 seconds, if I play...
  8. Optical Audio issues

Optical Audio issues: I have a 7.1 surround sound system for my computer. I used a optical S/PDIF cable to connect my computer to the receiver. when I go to the "Manage audio devices" in the control panel, and select S/PDIF, the "Configure" button is grayed out. I can select the configure button...
  9. Optical cable with my speaker system fading sound

Optical cable with my speaker system fading sound: I currently bought an optical cable for my speaker system and it seems it's making my sound fade out, every time my computer is making no noise the panel says "No Digital Data" but as soon as Skype or Telegram or I start music the sound fades in then works with no problems...
  10. Optical cable with my speaker system fading sound

Optical cable with my speaker system fading sound: I currently bought an optical cable for my speaker system and it seems it's making my sound fade out, every time my computer is making no noise the panel says "No Digital Data" but as soon as Skype or Telegram or I start music the sound fades in then works with no problems...