Windows 10: Windows 10 and Cisco enterprise networks via travel router

Discus and support Windows 10 and Cisco enterprise networks via travel router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I travel for a living and am constantly connected to public internet sources at airports, restaurants, and hotels. Rather than constantly connecting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PilotWombat, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Windows 10 and Cisco enterprise networks via travel router

I travel for a living and am constantly connected to public internet sources at airports, restaurants, and hotels. Rather than constantly connecting all of my devices to the various networks independently and putting each at security risk on those networks, several years back I bought a GL.iNet MT300A travel router. This allows me to connect more securely (since it encrypts data as it passes through the router), and makes connecting easier as I only have to log into a network once and every device is connected. This system has worked great for years on my Android phone, my work iPad and Surface 3, and my wife's Lenovo Yoga.

I have only started having issues since I bought my new HP Spectre Folio running Windows 10 Home, version 1803, build 17134.523. In a certain (unfortunately common) configuration, my laptop will not stay connected to the network. It will connect and work fine for about 30 seconds, then the laptop will disconnect from the network. I have "Connect Automatically" checked, and so sometimes it will automatically reconnect (for another 30 seconds), and other times it just gives up and won't even try. I then can manually force it to reconnect, which usually works, but not always. Until it disconnects again. This only seems to happen when the hotel's network is a Cisco brand enterprise network. This also doesn't happen if I connect to the access point directly, but only if I connect through the router.

I don't understand why this is happening only to my laptop. It doesn't happen with my other devices, including my Windows 10 based Surface. While my laptop disconnects, my other devices stay connected just fine.

I also don't understand why the laptop is disconnecting from the network. I understand that if there is a DNS issue or something else like that between the router and the access point that I wouldn't be able to connect to the internet, but the computer should stay connected to the travel router and I should be able to work through it's configuration GUI to go through logs and stuff. Or, in another example, if I connect to the router when it hasn't yet been configured to connect to the internet (such as when I first set up the router in a hotel), it just disconnects. Is Windows really set up to disconnect from all networks when there isn't an internet connection? How do I stop it from disconnecting from the router itself when there is no internet?

I have already tried:

1. Turning off the "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" under power management
    2. Resetting the network, but from the network and the laptop (cmd, ipconfig /release and /renew)
    3. Updating and reinstalling the network drivers on the computer
    4. Updating the router firmware
    5. Everything else I can find on the internet.

This is runnigg me to my wits end, how can I fix this???

:)

PilotWombat, Feb 13, 2019
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Feb 13, 2019
  3. Enterprise networking hardware at home club

As the topic title indicates this club is for those that use enterprise grade networking hardware at home.

---------------------------------

Here's my enterprise networking hardware:

I got a Cisco Meraki Z1 as my router

I got 2 Aruba RAP-109 access points

I got a Cisco Meraki MR12 access point

I also got a hold of a D-Link managed PoE switch as well.

----------------------------------

What enterprise grade stuff do you use at home?

remixedcat, Feb 13, 2019
  4. UKChohan Win User

Windows 10 and Cisco enterprise networks via travel router

Cisco VPN client error on windows 10 enterprise

Hi,

I spoke to Cisco Technical Support earlier over the phone, to ensure they are aware of the issue. Unfortunately there is no official fix currently for the problem, and they are working on it. If you search for "Cisco VPN Windows 10" in Google you can find
    unofficial fixes but I would recommend taking caution in using them (they may pose security risks). Personally, I would suggest trying to use ShrewSoft VPN client in place of Cisco VPN client until Cisco comes up with an official fix.

Hope this helps!

UKChohan, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 and Cisco enterprise networks via travel router

1. Windows 10 and Cisco enterprise networks via travel router - Similar Threads - Cisco enterprise networks

2. Cisco Connection and 2 Networks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cisco Connection and 2 Networks: Hi. I have 2 Networks on my pc. both of them are VDSL. when i try to connect to "Any Connect Cisco" one the networks get blocked and only the first one works.what i want is to connect Cisco on network 1 while network 2 is still available to use. i can't use any other vpn...
  3. Cisco Connection and 2 Networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cisco Connection and 2 Networks: Hi. I have 2 Networks on my pc. both of them are VDSL. when i try to connect to "Any Connect Cisco" one the networks get blocked and only the first one works.what i want is to connect Cisco on network 1 while network 2 is still available to use. i can't use any other vpn...
  4. Cisco Connection and 2 Networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Networking with 10 and router

Networking with 10 and router: I have a Dell and Lenovo desktop connected with a router. The Lenovo can access the Dell files. The Dell can ping the Dell by name or IP but can't access the files. Message says to check with system admin. I have checked everything I can think of but no change. What else...
  6. Cisco IOS XE routers Software Authentication Bypass Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Cisco IOS XE routers Software Authentication Bypass Vulnerability: Summary A vulnerability in the Cisco REST API virtual service container for Cisco IOS XE Software could allow an unauthenticated, remote attacker to bypass authentication on the managed Cisco IOS XE device. The vulnerability is due to an improper check performed by the area...
  7. Cisco Network Switch

Cisco Network Switch: Hi, At the place I work our network switch is missing some ports. Is it possible to fit new ports or remove an existing port to another number? Where can i buy new ports if im able to fit? Thanks 138831
  8. Cisco router Power issue Medium15.4W

Cisco router Power issue Medium15.4W: Hello! So i have 13 ap's connected to run the wifi at my workplace. not all our switches support POE, and we are in the progress of installing 5 new ap's. our old ap's are of the model AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9 and our new ones are of the model AIR-AP2802I-E-K9. Running the new ones...
  9. Networking, router or?

Networking, router or?: Hello, my issue is, I wish to connect my 3 laptops together for shared networking. Windows7, 10 &10. I can connect 2 together via ethernet cable but since my internet access is a private network AirCard (wifi), I don't have a physical router. I am wondering what I need in...
  10. Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router?

Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router?: So in the past I've gone through a few routers. Not quickly, all have spent a few years before crapping out. I've experienced one crap itself when we connected up 8+ computers for LAN gaming. Not sure if they're crapping out due to load but I think it might be. I do...