Windows 10: Windows 10 and Classic Start

Discus and support Windows 10 and Classic Start in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have installed Classic Start into Windows 10. My problem is that I cannot pin programs to the Classic Start Start up. When I attempt to pin a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by potplayer, Jun 21, 2019.

1. potplayer Win User

Windows 10 and Classic Start

I have installed Classic Start into Windows 10.

My problem is that I cannot pin programs to the Classic Start Start up.
    When I attempt to pin a program to Classic Start it pins itself to the original Windows 10 Start on the desktop.

Any way around this please?

:)

potplayer, Jun 21, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

[Tip]Classic Shell - Get back classic features of the Windows UI(Classic Start Menu)

You can get Classic Shell Here. It is open source and free.*Rockout :rockout:

When installing, do note that you can install the Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu features seperately, so if you don't have use for one or the other don't install it if you want to save a little hard drive space. Though the total install only takes about 4MB with both features installed.

Windows 10 and Classic Start ClassicShell_1.png

Now there are so many tweaks that Classic Shell offers there is no way I will be able to go over each one. But I do suggest if you are missing a UI feature from an older version of Windows that was removed from Win7, try Classic Shell, because I haven't seen a feature yet that wasn't in there. But I'm just going to go over a few features that I use and like for now.

First of all, the Classic Start Menu. It is pretty self explainitory. Right when you finish installing Classic Shell, the Classic Start menu will be active by default. Now you can set different keys to open either the Classic Start Menu or the Standard Start Menu. Personally, I usually have it set to that clicking on the start button opens the Classic Start Menu, while pushing the Windows key on my keyboard opens the Standard Start Menu.

Windows 10 and Classic Start ClassicShell_2.jpg

Also, with the Classic Start menu Shutting down goes back to the classic Windows XP style.

Windows 10 and Classic Start ClassicShell_3.jpg

You can access all of your settings for both Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu by going to the program folder in the start menu.

Windows 10 and Classic Start ClassicShell_4.jpg

Some of the features I use for Classic Explorer are the Up Arrow(which is enabled by default) along with disabling breadcrumbs. If you aren't sure what breadcrumbs are, look at the screenshot, breadcrumbs are the new way the address bar works in Win7, I think it was a way to eliminate the up arrow. Anyway, now that I have an up arrow again they are pretty worthless. So I disable them so that the actual path is dislayed in the address bar.

Windows 10 and Classic Start ClassicShell_5.jpg

One last thing I like to do is disable the Alternate File/Folder conflict dialog boxes. I actually prefer the new style that came with Win7. By default these options are enabled, which brings up the classic style dialog box whenever you are trying to copy over a file/folder that already exists.

Windows 10 and Classic Start ClassicShell_6.jpg

There are hundreds of little UI tweaks available in Classic Shell. So I would suggest you try it. If you don't like it, uninstalling it removes all the tweaks and returns everything to normal. And you can pretty much turn off every tweak you don't want, I know some people that use it just for the Up arrow in Explorer.

*Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 21, 2019
  4. jack s. Win User

Windows 10 Classic View not found

For Windows 10, Microsoft lists the following way to use the Classic View (as in Windows 7):

To change the Start menu to Classic view

The classic view of Start menu is based on previous version of Windows.

• Open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties by clicking the Start button

Windows 10 and Classic Start [​IMG]
      , clicking
      Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking
      Taskbar and Start Menu.

• Click the Start Menu tab, click Classic Start menu, and then click
      OK.

That sounds OK, except that in the latest version of Windows 10 "Appearance and Personalization" is not found in the Control Panel--only "Personalization," without an option for Classic Start menu, is given. So what has Microsoft failed to say or update?

I realize that third party apps (to give a Windows 7 experience) are available, but I would like to know what Microsoft itself offers in terms of the Classic View.

Similarly, in Windows 10 is there a way to add folders to the C-drive in the classic way, as opposed to creating a folder in Desktop under This PC and then adding folders there? (I do not want to go to Desktop, then a Desktop folder, every time that I want
    to view or create a folder--those are tiresome extra steps compared to the Classic way of creating a folder on the C-drive.)

jack s., Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and Classic Start - Similar Threads - Classic Start

2. How do I restore classic Start menu on Windows 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restore classic Start menu on Windows 11 Home?: Reading some tutorials, beelping computer and alphr suggest changing a value in the registry editor to bring back the classic start menu. But I don't have that registry by default. Alternatively, minitool suggests adding the registry manually and setting the value. Doing that...
  3. How do I restore classic Start menu on Windows 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore classic Start menu on Windows 11 Home?: Reading some tutorials, beelping computer and alphr suggest changing a value in the registry editor to bring back the classic start menu. But I don't have that registry by default. Alternatively, minitool suggests adding the registry manually and setting the value. Doing that...
  4. Topic: Classic Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Topic: Classic Start Menu: Hello all you saints!When starting my computer, I get a popup that says, "Classic Start Menu needs to configure itself for the new operating system" I close this. Then another popup says, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make change.......Classic...
  5. Topic: Classic Start Menu

Topic: Classic Start Menu: Hello all you saints!When starting my computer, I get a popup that says, "Classic Start Menu needs to configure itself for the new operating system" I close this. Then another popup says, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make change.......Classic...
  6. How to revert to "Classic" Start Menu in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert to "Classic" Start Menu in Windows 11?: Is there ANY other way to recover the "Classic" Start menu from Windows 10 within Windows 11 preferably in the registry?I see many forums stating that adding the reg key "Start_ShowClassicMode=1" was once a solution that now no longer works after Micrsoft killed it in an...
  7. How to revert to "Classic" Start Menu in Windows 11?

How to revert to "Classic" Start Menu in Windows 11?: Is there ANY other way to recover the "Classic" Start menu from Windows 10 within Windows 11 preferably in the registry?I see many forums stating that adding the reg key "Start_ShowClassicMode=1" was once a solution that now no longer works after Micrsoft killed it in an...
  8. Why has my custom-made Start Menu disappeared? Classic Start Menu 4.3.1

Why has my custom-made Start Menu disappeared? Classic Start Menu 4.3.1: Hi, I am asking a specific question in regards to Classic Start Menu 4.3.1.I am running Windows 10 Home - Version 1903 - OS Build 18362.1082Other useful info - I have not updated my version / OS because when I do, my system bogs down to almost a complete halt. I right-click...
  9. Why has my custom-made Start Menu disappeared? Classic Start Menu 4.3.1

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why has my custom-made Start Menu disappeared? Classic Start Menu 4.3.1: Hi, I am asking a specific question in regards to Classic Start Menu 4.3.1.I am running Windows 10 Home - Version 1903 - OS Build 18362.1082Other useful info - I have not updated my version / OS because when I do, my system bogs down to almost a complete halt. I right-click...
  10. Why has my custom-made Start Menu disappeared? Classic Start Menu 4.3.1

in Windows 10 Gaming

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 classic start

2. windows 10 classick start

3. reboot will be required Classic Shell