Windows 10: Windows 10 and Continuously Available File Shares/ Offline network drive crashes explorer.

Discus and support Windows 10 and Continuously Available File Shares/ Offline network drive crashes explorer. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I have run into a problem deploying Windows 10 in a corporate network. We have a fileserver cluster, and the file shares are set to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DM_FP, Dec 19, 2018.

1. DM_FP Win User

Windows 10 and Continuously Available File Shares/ Offline network drive crashes explorer.

Hi all,

I have run into a problem deploying Windows 10 in a corporate network.

We have a fileserver cluster, and the file shares are set to continuously available on a Server 2012 R2 server cluster.

We have mapped network drives to several file shares on this cluster.

The problem is when a Windows 10 machine loses network connectivity and it has a mapped drive, then windows explorer will perpetually try to reconnect and never time out, rendering Windows Explorer almost useless. If you close Windows Explorer and re-open it, you just get a white screen.

I narrowed it down to the continuously available setting on the file share by doing the following:

Created a new Windows 10 Build that is not joined to our domain to rule out any GPO settings.

Connected the machine to a file share, usiny my domain credentials.

Pulled the network cable out and the problematic behaviour was still there.

I then created a brand new share on a separate computer, that is not clustered (its another Windows 10 Desktop) and repeated the process.

The network share was then reporting as offline correctly after about 10 seconds.

This means the problem has to be with the connection between the Windows 10 machine and the cluster share.

I then created a brand new share on the cluster, but I did not enable the "Make continuously available" tick box and connected to this share from my test machine. The network share also reported as offline after about 10 seconds.

To make triple sure that is wasn't permissions related or some other issue, I created a new share to the same path as the original problematic share but with the omission of the "Make contiunously available" tick box and this still worked. So it has to be that tick box which causes the problem.

So it seems to me there is a problem with the way Windows 10 handles these shares when the client loses network connection, as we have a mix fo Windows 7 and Windows 10 clients and the Windows 7 clients handle the disconnection just fine.

Can someone look into this and provide a fix please, as I have searched and searched for other people having this issue and come up with nothing.

Thank You,

David

:)

DM_FP, Dec 19, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 19, 2018
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer crashes while navigating shared drive

I'm having an issue with a Dell OptiPlex 7440 All-in-One workstation on my network. It is only about 4 months old and came with Windows 10 Pro already installed. About 2 weeks ago file explorer began crashing when navigating on the company shared drive.
    It works okay for some folders but other folders that are a few folders deep causes File Explorer to just completely close. Every other workstation can open these folders and files just fine.

What I've tried:

• I have tried shortening the file names.
    • I have cleared my File Explorer history and turned off the Quick Access frequently and recently used folders.
    • I have updated all drivers and firmware including BIOS.

Any suggestions or tips is much appreciated.

Tim EllisJB, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Jizzler Win User

Windows 10 and Continuously Available File Shares/ Offline network drive crashes explorer.

cannot open files on network shared drive

I have used a small handful of applications that just won't open a \\host\share\file.ext

Annoying, but there may be a workaround, try mapping the share to a drive letter:

In Explorer, Tools > Map network drive...

Windows 10 and Continuously Available File Shares/ Offline network drive crashes explorer. map-network-drive-1.png

Then choose an unused drive letter, and the shared folder.

Windows 10 and Continuously Available File Shares/ Offline network drive crashes explorer. map-network-drive-2097.png

This will work for most programs as it'll see K:\kitchen.kit

Jizzler, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and Continuously Available File Shares/ Offline network drive crashes explorer. - Similar Threads - Continuously Available File

2. Files saved on offline network drive missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files saved on offline network drive missing: We have a user who saved his files to a network drive which was offline by enabling offline filesHowever, the server address for the drive changed and once a batch file was run, the drive is back online but all his offline files are missingHow can the offline files be...
  3. How to make Network files Always Available Offline on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to make Network files Always Available Offline on Windows 10: Offline Files feature in Windows 10 lets users make their files and folders available offline even if they are not connected to a network. This makes sharing common files across organizations easier. Let us see how to make Network files Always Available Offline on Windows 10....
  4. Cannot share files, folders or drives in Network (in Explorer)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot share files, folders or drives in Network (in Explorer): Even though I am the administrator for my laptop an pc which are networked via ethernet I am refused permission to share files, folders or drives. That is is in spite of the fact that I have connected the drives, and created the folders and files. I have enabled sharing for...
  5. Windows 10 File explorer slow when mapped network drives aren't available

Windows 10 File explorer slow when mapped network drives aren't available: Hi there, I have mapped some network drives on my windows 10 pc in order to access my home NAS and other shared folders via SMB located on different networks for example office network. The problem is that windows file explorer is terribly slow when one or more of these...
  6. Shared drive dropping in Windows 10 File Explorer

Shared drive dropping in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hello I have a Windows 10 computer. In my File Explorer, I have mapped network drives. The computers where those mapped drives reside are set up to go to sleep overnight. In the morning, they are woken up as folks come to work. My computer never goes to sleep. My File...
  7. Network drive Win 7 crashes files explorer Win 10

Network drive Win 7 crashes files explorer Win 10: Hello, Im trying to solve this problem for a while now. Mapped network drive Windows 7 cause file explorer to crash. The strange thing is that the problem only appears after cold start and can be solved by just restarting the computer. Also on other computers with...
  8. Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer

Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer: Hi ive installed a nas and Im on windows 10 1909, the nas will take a very long time to open in file explorer as when first connected to the network it will not show how much storage is in it till you open it. When you can then open a document this sometimes can take 20...
  9. Set or Unset Network Files as Always Available Offline in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set or Unset Network Files as Always Available Offline in Windows: How to: Set or Unset Network Files as Always Available Offline in Windows How to Set or Unset Network Files as Always Available Offline in Windows Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to...
  10. File Explorer crashes attempting file operations, on network drives

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashes attempting file operations, on network drives: Hi This is another FileExplorer crash post - however this one slightly different than others I could find, and the solutions for the others has not provided a solution either. Long story short - upon attempting file operations on mapped network drives - e.g. rename...