Windows 10: Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu

Discus and support Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Recently I installed Zorin OS which is Ubuntu based on my 2014 HP Envy laptop, and although the BIOS was set to "Legacy", the linux install required... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/leonardovallem, May 18, 2020.

1. Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu

Recently I installed Zorin OS which is Ubuntu based on my 2014 HP Envy laptop, and although the BIOS was set to "Legacy", the linux install required the creation an efi partition. After this process, my laptop was only able to boot to a screen saying "No bootable device - Insert boot disk and press any key", and when I tried to change BIOS to UEFI, the massage became "Selected boot image not authenticate".

I've already done some stuff making use of diskpart from a bootable Windows 10 usb drive, but still, the only way that makes the boot poossible is going to the Boot options menu pressing F9 after turning it on, and then selecting "Boot from EFI file" and selecting bootx64.efi.

Is there any way I can create a boot menu that selects the OS directly from EFI files?

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/leonardovallem
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/leonardovallem, May 18, 2020

2. UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, May 18, 2020
  3. Uplink10 Win User
    Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I got it, I was not accustomed to UEFI (because on HP 4540s I disabled it) and I automatically thought that if I boot from the first menu it will boot in UEFI mode, but I have to go to second menu "Boot From EFI File" to get a list of EFI boot options:

Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu IMG_1509375.jpg

I installed Ubuntu Mate and Windows 8.1 from the first menu (the picture) and they both installed in BIOS mode. Quite simple really.

Uplink10, May 18, 2020
  4. Alicia Win User

Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu

Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I am really interested in this. I could not install Linux and I don't know why. Was it so simple to install it? The linux I want to install is elementary OS, but I can install other one. How can I do it? Thanks!

Alicia, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu

1. Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu - Similar Threads - Linux booted EFI

2. STOP 'BOOT OPTION MENU' IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    STOP 'BOOT OPTION MENU' IN WINDOWS 10: Whenever I open my laptop the boot manager/boot option menu keeps on showing up and giving me 2 options, Windows Boot Manager or EFI PXE Network. Once you choose and enter it will take a lot of time to start but it works fine, sometimes its lagging and need to restart before...
  3. "Windows" or "EFI boot" ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Windows" or "EFI boot" ?: I used to run only Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro 13" mid 2012 non-retina. Today I upgraded to an SSD and though of doing a fresh install of windows. I made a bootable usb through media creation tool. Now, when I installed my ssd and plugged in the usb, it showed me two options...
  4. Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu: I recently dual-booted ubuntu with Windows 10 . After messing around with Ubuntu, I booted back into Windows 10 and deleted the Ubuntu partition and they were converted back to free space. Upon reboot, I got into a black screen with Grub > command line. Luckily , I was able...
  5. booting linux from USB

booting linux from USB: Hey guys, i have the surface laptop 2, and i have been trying to boot linux from the USB but nothing works. i used Rufus and format the usb FAT32. i tried to boot on my other laptop Acer and it worked fine. should i turn off the security boot and TMP ? i tried to change the...
  6. Linux deleted boot file of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linux deleted boot file of Windows 10: Hey Guys! I really need your help. So, I've installed Kali Linux on my Acer Aspire V17 nitro and it ran perfectly. Then i accidentely deleted the boot file from Windows 10!!! Is there a way to get it back - I mean for free??? GRUB - the DUAL-BOOT-system doesn't show the...
  7. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  8. Windows 10 unable to boot from ANYTHING! Linux will boot tho

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 unable to boot from ANYTHING! Linux will boot tho: Greetings all... I've been researching this problem for over a week now (in Feb/2019) to no avail. The main problem is that the machine will NOT boot into a windows environment from any medium whatsoever. The only thing I haven't tried is a Win10 DVD, which I don't have one....
  9. Boot option menu

Boot option menu: ⬆️ and⬇️ to change option, ENTER to select an option What should I will do to solve this , https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-option-menu/eb0bea46-d857-4318-b553-af9b3e706ce3
  10. Boot from a linux DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a linux DVD: Can someone give a simple method so I can boot from a DVD drive which has a linux DVD? I am not interested in having duel boot capability. 53972