Windows 10: windows 10 and new install, old programs

Discus and support windows 10 and new install, old programs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Considering: 1 a clean, new install always works great; 2 that does not take too much time; 3 but it requires all programs to install again; 4 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by chris_de_boer, May 20, 2019.

1. windows 10 and new install, old programs

Considering:

1 a clean, new install always works great;

2 that does not take too much time;

3 but it requires all programs to install again;

4 and that can take a lot of time:

- finding the installation files;

- finfing the keys needed for installation;

- having not forgotten to de-register the progams when needed to do so;

- the installing itself;

5 as the registry contains all information about installed programs;

6 as keys from the registy can be exported and . . . imported.

Would it not be great if one could install a new, clean windows 10 and,

having all wanted programs on another disk, to simply import the needed

keys into the newly made registry and let those programs be recognised

and executable?

I would appreciate that a lot:

a I like to experiment with pre-releases of windows;

b I hate it when, after installing a regular windows version, I must follow

point 1-6 of above list;

Addendum:

Remember: when one upgrades all programs and data can and will be saved . . . .

and remain usable.

Why, oh why can one not go from a pre-release to a regular release (mind

you: a pre-release has a date-stamp . . . . .) whitout all the fuss herefor

mentioned.

Microsoft: please, please make it so that a pre-release also needs an activation

keys preferably the same as the one(s) for a regular release!!!

That could solf at least a whole lot of obstacles.

And, to be sure: yes I have several pc's (with windows a.o. ;-)

But, hey, you should be able do it if no one else can . . . . .

And (again and): I fear that putting all in the cloud (whose cloud????)

will make things worse and worse for all consumers, especially those

who like to experiment.

I wonder how Microsoft engineers cope with these matters.....

I mean, having still more work to perform is not bad but what

about doing work efficiently?

Chris de Boer

(since the D-age, dinosaur? no DOS....)

:)

chris_de_boer, May 20, 2019
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, May 20, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 20, 2019
  4. windows 10 and new install, old programs

Windows 10 installing progs

I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to windows 10 from 7. I used the Media Creation Tool from MS website. It took awhile, but I am finally running Windows 10 (12-14).

I opened the new App & Program feature to remove programs that I no longer needed. Scrolling down the list, I was horrified! Apps that I didn't install somehow magically installed themselves. Two programs stood out: Facebook and Candy Crush Soda Saga. Both programs have those tale-tale icons that they came from Windows Store (which I've never even opened). The install date for both of them were on 12-26.

Is this a common thing for Windows 10? Or is it because I did an upgrade and not a clean install?

GoFigureItOut, May 20, 2019
Thema:

windows 10 and new install, old programs

1. windows 10 and new install, old programs - Similar Threads - install old programs

2. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable: I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that...
  3. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable: I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that...
  4. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Installing old laptop files, programs & settings to new laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing old laptop files, programs & settings to new laptop.: How do I copy all of the files, programs, etc. from one laptop to a new one. I am running Windows 10 on both laptops. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-old-laptop-files-programs-settings-to/8382b840-9191-4a68-a342-421f7ebd0de7
  6. Installing old laptop files, programs & settings to new laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing old laptop files, programs & settings to new laptop.: How do I copy all of the files, programs, etc. from one laptop to a new one. I am running Windows 10 on both laptops. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-old-laptop-files-programs-settings-to/8382b840-9191-4a68-a342-421f7ebd0de7
  7. Installing old laptop files, programs & settings to new laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. New Windows 10 Install, Old OneDrive Installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Windows 10 Install, Old OneDrive Installation: I have a C: as my OS/System drive while my OneDrive Folder/Files are on my E: Drive. I am replacing my C: drive with a larger drive and after re-installing Win10 and installing Onedrive I cannot access my old OneDrive folder on E: I get an error similar to "System cannot...
  9. New install of Windows 10 keeps booting into old install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New install of Windows 10 keeps booting into old install.: I just did a clean install of windows onto an NVME m.2 drive for my desktop computer. It has 2 m.2 slots, and the second disk has an old install of windows from when it was in another machine. I didn't wipe that drive before filling it with data, and now I'm wondering if...
  10. New Windows 10 install with old GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Windows 10 install with old GPU: I'm building a new system with Windows 10 64 bit--I don't have integrated graphics, so I'm looking at using an older video card, but I'm hearing that Windows 10 updates are rendering many older cards obsolete. I'm not looking to game with this system; it is used for photo...