Windows 10: Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up....

Discus and support Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up.... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I've got a question about Windows 10 and my SSD getting too full. I have plenty of space, but my C: drive has 3 GB left. Is there a way to tell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sithtiger, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Sithtiger Win User

Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up....

So, I've got a question about Windows 10 and my SSD getting too full. I have plenty of space, but my C: drive has 3 GB left. Is there a way to tell Windows to extend to another drive? Say when I get an update, I have another SSD, I would like Windows to start writing to the H: drive. Is there a way to do that? I'm talking about system file updates future Windows updates. I know how to install a program to a different drive, but I don't know how to get Windows to automatically do this. You'd think when it's full or nearing becoming full, it would have a built-in function to automatically move to the next fastest open drive or at least ask you where you want Windows to install these things, or is this something Windows can't do.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Sithtiger, Mar 20, 2017
  2. Ardy123 Win User

SSD Storage

Hello,

I have just built a custom gaming rig and I thought that 256GB of SSD storage would be enough. However, now I am almost filled up on storage, is there a way in Windows 10 to plug in another identical SSD and have windows recognize it as just one drive of
    512GB? So that when the first one fills up, it continues onto the next. I also know that you shouldn't fill an SSD all the way to the top, will this be a problem?

Thanks

Ardy123, Mar 20, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    SSD filling up

Hi CACTISHAN, please do the following:

Slide the name column bigger so I can see more

The top item I assume is the Windows folder

Click the arrow on the left so you can see inside the Windows Folder

Continue doing that until you find the folder that is taking up the hard drive space

Please then provide another screenshot when you can see the actual folder that is taking up the space - my money is on CBS.log . . .

DaveM121, Mar 20, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

bro67, Mar 20, 2017
  5. ArazelEternal, Mar 20, 2017
  6. Sithtiger Win User
    Wow, thanks! You helped me fix my problem with Space Sniffer, an awesome program! I would still like to know, though, if there is a way for Windows to automatically start writing to another drive by default when space gets tight. I disabled the Hibernate feature. It was taking up over 12 gigs!

Sithtiger, Mar 20, 2017
  7. Sithtiger Win User
    Thank you as well. I used Space Sniffer to find what's taking up so much space. It's Origin actually. I didn't uninstall that, but what I don't understand is that SS show update files taking up 40 GB I think. I thought I had set it to remove installers, better check that. I ended up disabling Hibernate. I have 20 GB free now. TreeSize looks good as well.

Sithtiger, Mar 20, 2017
  8. Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up....

Ive used Space Sniffer as well and it works well, I just happen to like the way Tree Size lays it out more. For me its more concise and easier to understand.

ArazelEternal, Mar 20, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    No there is not unless you have a Raid setup that allows you to span multiple drives for a larger space. Hibernate has always been a hog.

bro67, Mar 20, 2017
  10. wow, 12 GB of hibernation file is huge, never tought it could get so big!

About your updates files did you try to clean your drive? They could be WIndows Update files that you never cleaned.. Try to right click C: and then click Clean Disk, wait until it ends and then finally choose Clean system files (or something like that, don't know the exact translation in English of that feature): it will scan the drive again and then prompt new and deeper results..

EDIT: last but no least, if your Users folder take a lot of space you could consider moving only that flde to a different drive; I have this setup now and it works nice. I only did that with new installation but it's possible in your sit, too. Here - Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 - you'll find how *Wink

brainvision, Mar 20, 2017
  11. SummerTim Win User
    I always recommend using the built in Disk Cleanup utility run as administrator (!). This can easily save you several gigs especially after an upgrade to Anniversary edition.
    Also if you want to stick with your C drive you can create a link to a separate drive in your existing C folder structure like this:
    Code: mklink /J "C:\some existing folder\new folder name" "D:\Folder1\Some existing folder"[/quote] This will effectively create a "folder shortcut" in "C:\some existing folder" with the name "new folder name" and when you click on this folder you will see contents of "D:\Folder1\Some existing folder".
    You might want to use it as a workaround if you have no RAID created.

SummerTim, Mar 20, 2017
  12. kimkl Win User
    Do you have your Orgin Games on your C:\ drive along side Windows?
    That will kill your SSD real fast, if you play a lot like me *Biggrin i know its great to play games from a SSD because of the speed, but the constant reading writing to the SSD, will make for a painful death at some point, or did you just install Origin program files to that drive, and keep Games on another drive.
    I keep my SSD almost limited to Windows, and most programs i keep on a Hybrid, and my Games on another Hybrid, And my Digital Content "all legal" on 2x 3TB Hybrids
    SSD are still expensive, so i would try to keep 1 SSD around 300GB strictly Windows, i know some programs will not offer where to install and just installs on C: very annoying.
    I have 2x 300GB Samsung Evo can't remember number and 1x 500GB Samsung "something" SSD where i keep Windows 10, i also had some games on that drive for a long time because of the speed, now it feels like i am driving a German Trabant from WW2, even after i removed the Games, and keep it almost Windows only.
    But as soon as prices go down ill get a new SSD for my Windows but prices are way up there still.
    Thank You

kimkl, Mar 20, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

You can set it's size to 'Reduced' but that only supports fast start, not full hibernation. With an SSD fast start doesn't make much difference anyway. For full hibernation the minimum size for hibefil.sys is 40% of the installed memory. Sithtiger's system specs say 32GB RAM - sounds about right.

The pagefile will be a similar size, but for that you can set it to be on a different drive.

14. dalchina New Member
    Note that you can install programs on another drive if really necessary - e.g. large games programs.

Also keep all personal data off your system drive as far as possible.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2017
  15. Sithtiger Win User
    Thanks, yeah, I should change that. I do like OneDrive as it saves to the cloud, but that's only 5 GB now isn't it? Can you change OneDrive to save from a different drive? Assuming it will only back up your Documents folder. I know you could create one on another folder, but can tell OneDrive to backup from a specific folder, or will it ONLY save from the Windows boot drive?

Sithtiger, Mar 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up.... - Similar Threads - SSD Filling

2. C drive SSD fills up automatically whilst running Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive SSD fills up automatically whilst running Windows 8.1: Processor Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz, currently running Windows 8.1 64 bit & MS Office 2013 on a 100Gbyte SSD. All my documents, music, pictures, videos are on a separate F drive 1 TB hard disk drive Raid 1. C drive subfolder useage adds up to 51 Gbyte, and yet the C drive...
  3. C drive SSD fills up automatically whilst running Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive SSD fills up automatically whilst running Windows 8.1: Processor Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz, currently running Windows 8.1 64 bit & MS Office 2013 on a 100Gbyte SSD. All my documents, music, pictures, videos are on a separate F drive 1 TB hard disk drive Raid 1. C drive subfolder useage adds up to 51 Gbyte, and yet the C drive...
  4. SSD C: drive filling up for no reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD C: drive filling up for no reason: I restarted my computer and had 30 gigs free, I then turned it off and and turned it on the next day, and it only had 8 gigs left. What is going on? I have ran disk cleanup, cleared temp folder, everything is updated, and am currently running a full scan with malwarebytes....
  5. SSD C:\ drive keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD C:\ drive keeps filling up: I'm running Windows 10 and my C drive will randomly fill up suddenly. It will go from having 30+ GB free to only 6-10. I'll use disk cleanup but find less than a GB available to delete. Yet a few days later it'll go back to having 30+ GB free again. I installed TreeSize and...
  6. SSD Drive C keeps filling up while playing games on Origin

SSD Drive C keeps filling up while playing games on Origin: I have my games and origin installed on my 1TB HDD Drive D. However, whenever I play games, eg. Apex on Origin, My 256GB SSD Drive C with 17GB free space keeps filling up and sometimes it goes up till it only have 200MB free space which eventually close the game in the middle...
  7. Local user profiles filling up SSD

Local user profiles filling up SSD: Hi, I work in a school and we have some new shared laptops running Windows 10 Education x64 which have a vey small internal SSD. When pupils log onto these laptops a local profile is created within c:\users\ for each user. We use Folder Redirection so when pupils save work...
  8. help my SSD is filling up for no reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    help my SSD is filling up for no reason: help. My SSD is so full. like 100gb of storage are gone for no reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-my-ssd-is-filling-up-for-no-reason/8646728a-7e6a-4b47-9fb0-aa3822a0b0ad
  9. Drive C SSD Fill up bot nothing is install

Drive C SSD Fill up bot nothing is install: I Buy new SSD 240GB and i got new Windows 10, and when I instal PUBG, and Formula 2020 i saw that my SSD is full of memory and this 2 games need like 70 to 80 GB. Nothing else is on SSD just 2 games and Windows and it say that i have 9GB free space left. Can you help plz?...
  10. Windows filled System memory instead of ssd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows filled System memory instead of ssd drive: hello all, setting up a new pc, and i just realized it had been saving all my programs and downloads to my C; drive, which seems to be the system one. its now basically full. how do i redirect or move my downloads, as well as games and applications, so that they're in my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd drive filling up windows 10

2. ssd filling up windows 10