Windows 10: Windows 10 and the future lifespan of computers

Discus and support Windows 10 and the future lifespan of computers in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My family is using computers purchased in 2005, 2011, 2014, and 2015 (plus a couple of Windows 8 tablets). The computer purchased in 2005 is somewhat... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Nick L, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Nick L Win User

Windows 10 and the future lifespan of computers

My family is using computers purchased in 2005, 2011, 2014, and 2015 (plus a couple of Windows 8 tablets). The computer purchased in 2005 is somewhat challenged in its capabilities by now, but it remains useful with linux, and its Windows XP OS is available for the rare time I might need to run some old program. The 2015 computer is an inexpensive cloudbook with limited capabilities. But the 2011 and 2014 computers are fully adequate for the uses to which we put them.

The issue that concerns me came to my attention via my Lenovo Edge E545 computer purchased in 2014. It is only about 2-1/2 years old and is my main computer. Last summer, I upgraded it from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Lenovo indicated that they supported the initial release of Windows 10 for my computer (thus making an upgrade seem OK - see Windows 10 Upgrade July 2015 / Version 1507 - Supported System List). However, they appear not to support the Anniversary update (see Windows 10 Update July 2016 / Version 1607 "Anniversary Update" - Systems List). This change in support is troublesome: suddenly, the upgrade to Windows 10 seems a mistake. In my case, after one update failure, I did successfully install the anniversary update, but there are hints there may be lingering problems. In any case I cannot tell how things will be with the next major update, so it seems I am better off reverting to Windows 8.1 now, while there isn't too much software I'll need to reinstall.

The main issue though, is what of the future? With Microsoft's new policy, it sounds like there will be no way to stick with an older version of Windows 10. Once one has bought a Windows 10 computer, it seems that there might be no way to keep it going for very long before Microsoft releases an update to Windows 10 that is not supported for that computer. With previous operating systems one could keep the old operating system for many years until Microsoft stopped supporting it (or even longer for use with old programs if the particular uses do not involve the web and do not raise issues of security). For example, my computer purchased in 2011 came with Windows 7 - Microsoft says that that will be receive extended support until 2020. If I revert to Windows 8 on my computer purchased in 2014, extended support will end in 2023. But with Windows 10, there seems to be no guarantee that one won't be forced into an upgrade that does not work on one's computer after arbitrarily few years. (I do not find the language in the double-star footnote on Microsoft's Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet comforting in this regard.)

And if things stay the way they appear to be at present, the failure mode seems unpleasant. If Windows 10 reaches a version that no longer runs on one's computer, my impression is that the computer will spend perhaps hours installing an update that will fail to work. If reverting to the previous version is successful, my experience is that within a few days, the installation will be attempted again, with no choice on the user's part, except perhaps a short delay. Will this then repeat, ad infinitem, until one finds time and money to replace the computer?

I have not yet found discussion of the difficulties that seem to be posed by this. Any thoughts? Is there some better place to raise this issue?

:)

Nick L, Mar 14, 2017

2. What is the lifespan of a phone's support

This is a users forum for Nokia m8, nobody knows it I suggest you send that inquiry to the above task bar "Contact us" & get the answer from the horse mouth itself if they do answer!Windows 10 and the future lifespan of computers ;)

Message Edited by android on 01-Dec-2008 12:45 PM

android---01, Mar 14, 2017
  3. What is the lifespan of a phone's support

Anyone?

I mean how long is the usual support given to any phone, for say new firmwares, by Nokia?

darkmax---01, Mar 14, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

With Microsoft maybe?

NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2017
  5. Just because the OEM doesn't support the newer (version) OS for that device, doesn't mean that device can't run it. Non of my PC's have Windows 10 support (drivers etc) available from the OEM. They are all happily running the latest consumer version of Windows 10 though with no issues. Support stopped at Windows 7 for my desktop PC's and at Windows 8.0 for my laptop.

alphanumeric, Mar 14, 2017
  6. Nick L Win User
    I appreciate your comments. I may give Windows 10 a bit more of a try on my current computer, though I remain wary of it.

Nick L, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and the future lifespan of computers - Similar Threads - future lifespan computers

2. Help with extending battery lifespan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with extending battery lifespan: So I got a new laptop and I really wouldn't like to ruin it any sooner than I absolutely have to. I know overcharging can damage batteries and my charger (to which, mind you, it's connected at nearly all times) is terrifyingly powerful. Is it possible to set a charge cap...
  3. (Survey) Determining Longevity (lifespan) of Laptops to help inform future purchasing...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (Survey) Determining Longevity (lifespan) of Laptops to help inform future purchasing...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/perrytheplatypussy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jikj5x/survey_determining_longevity_lifespan_of_laptops/
  4. Future upgrades to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Future upgrades to Windows 10: Hi, I just updated my Windows 10 and as part of the upgrade I had to get a phone call with a code that was sent to my landline phone. I then entered the code into the computer and Widows let me on. As I went through this process this time I think I saw a note that in the...
  5. The future of windows

in Windows 10 Support
    The future of windows: As you all know almost every computer you buy these days will be Windows 10 as the os unless you have like a chromebook or a apple computer. So what do you think the future of Windows will be. Will it stay as windows ten forever or will there be like a Windows 11 or 12 down...
  6. Future of Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Future of Windows: Does anyone know what is happening to Windows 10 after support has ended? I recently heard Microsoft is no longer producing new versions of Windows after Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/future-of-windows/b9e75278-0afc-40d1-bc25-03dee63a2972
  7. SSD Lifespan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Lifespan: Is it necessary to move the temporary folders of Windows 10 to a second HDD disk, having an SSD disk, to extend its life cycle, or is this unnecessary today? Because I have read that even subjecting the ssd to large gb of writings a day, it would take many years to degrade...
  8. 7/24 computer power on, is it bad for the hardware's lifespan?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    7/24 computer power on, is it bad for the hardware's lifespan?: regardless of the carbon production and electricity cost, is it bad for the hardware's lifespan for the PC turned on for 7/24, only the screen is switched off 128668
  9. Windows 10 and future CPUs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 and future CPUs: Hey all, Premise: So lately I've been reading up on articles (below) that detail Win 10 and old CPUs will no longer be compatible. I want to stay on Win 7 as long as possible as i think it's perfect for my needs, however my rig is long due for an update. My CPU, board, RAM...
  10. The future of old apps with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    The future of old apps with Windows 10: The past is hard to let go of, let's be honest. In the IT world, there is a lot of truth to some of the old tools are also some of the best. You SCCM (or dare I still say SMS) guys should know this, for those who still use things like ccmclean instead of ccmsetup /uninstall...