Windows 10: Windows 10 and upgrading hardware

Discus and support Windows 10 and upgrading hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I want to upgrade my PC. I'm replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and adding a SSD (M.2). Previously this PC was Windows 7 and I upgraded to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AlexJennings2, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 and upgrading hardware

Hello,

I want to upgrade my PC. I'm replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and adding a SSD (M.2). Previously this PC was Windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 10.

From what I understand, replacing the hardware will require Windows 10 to be re-activated.

My question is related to the actual install of Windows 10. I would like to do a clean install to the new M.2 SSD. I still have my Windows 7 Product key for what that's worth. I've downloaded the media thing that let me put Windows 10 onto a USB drive. Will I be able to install Windows 10 using the USB drive and provide my Windows 7 product key if it asks for it? -OR- Since my Microsoft Account is linked to my PC and is 'digitally licensed' does that mean when I install Windows 10 on the PC it will see the digital license and be okay? -OR- Is this going to be an instance where I need to purchase a Windows 10 key?

Thanks.

:)

AlexJennings2, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 and upgrading hardware

1. Windows 10 and upgrading hardware - Similar Threads - upgrading hardware

2. Reinstalling Win10 after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Win10 after hardware upgrade: I will be upgrading my PC with all new hardware and will have to reinstall Win10 in the process. I have Windows ready to install from a USB drive, and I just want to be sure that my personal (as opposed to my work) account is what I will need to activate Windows once it is...
  3. Hardware upgrade prevents windows activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hardware upgrade prevents windows activation: Many years ago i was given the free upgrade to windows 10 which i unfortunately did not link to my account. Now i just done a complete upgrade of my computer and am unable to activate my copy because of said missing link. I have run the troubleshooter and logged into my...
  4. Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade

Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade: Hello, I upgraded my motherboard cpu and ram succesfully, but now my windows 10 is unable to activate and tells me that my key isn't genuine even though it has worked for the last 4 years now, I have Windows 10 pro form the free upgrade period and never had any porblems...
  5. I recently upgraded to new hardware, and I have lost my proof of purchase and old product...

I recently upgraded to new hardware, and I have lost my proof of purchase and old product...: The title lays it out. I called customer support and was told that I NEED to purchase a new key. However, I am not going to spend an extra $150 dollars on a piece of software I was using as recently as two weeks ago. Is there any other way to get my windows reactivated on my...
  6. Digital license cannot activate Windows 10 Pro after hardware upgrade

Digital license cannot activate Windows 10 Pro after hardware upgrade: Hello, I've changed my hardware recently (motherboard, CPU...). Since then, I cannot re-activate my digital license. The error code is 0x803FA067. Before the changes, I linked my Windows digital license with a Microsoft account (following this:...
  7. Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade

Unable to reactivate windows after hardware upgrade: Hey guys, so i have this really annoying issue My motherboard and CPU were really due for an upgrade, so i replaced them and that's that. But now i have this watermark stuck on my screen telling me to activate windows. When i go into settings to activate it says "windows...
  8. Chromebook upgraded to win 10, lots of hardware not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Chromebook upgraded to win 10, lots of hardware not working: Hello everyone, I recently took my older Lenovo 100s Chromebook out and put it do good use by putting Windows 10 on it. However, while doing so many of the peripherals stopped working: Microphone Speakers (HDMI audio not tested) Mousepad (USB mouse works) Volume controls...
  9. BSOD ntoskrnl.exe after upgrading hardware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD ntoskrnl.exe after upgrading hardware: Hey Ten Forums I Recently upgraded to Zen 2, my setup looks like this R7 3700x (Not overclocked) ROG-Strix-X570-F-Gaming (Not the latest version. I got 0407, which is pretty old, but never attempted a bios upgrade, so wanted input on it) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz 16gb,...
  10. Cannot re-activate Windows after hardware upgrade

Cannot re-activate Windows after hardware upgrade: Hi, so I've recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM and my Windows requests to be activated. Immediately on opening the Settings>Activation page I'm greeted with error code 0x80072EE2. Solutions tried: I've read the FAQs and tried to use...