Windows 10: Windows 10 and upgrading hardware

Discus and support Windows 10 and upgrading hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I want to upgrade my PC. I'm replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and adding a SSD (M.2). Previously this PC was Windows 7 and I upgraded to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AlexJennings2, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 and upgrading hardware

Hello,

I want to upgrade my PC. I'm replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and adding a SSD (M.2). Previously this PC was Windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 10.

From what I understand, replacing the hardware will require Windows 10 to be re-activated.

My question is related to the actual install of Windows 10. I would like to do a clean install to the new M.2 SSD. I still have my Windows 7 Product key for what that's worth. I've downloaded the media thing that let me put Windows 10 onto a USB drive. Will I be able to install Windows 10 using the USB drive and provide my Windows 7 product key if it asks for it? -OR- Since my Microsoft Account is linked to my PC and is 'digitally licensed' does that mean when I install Windows 10 on the PC it will see the digital license and be okay? -OR- Is this going to be an instance where I need to purchase a Windows 10 key?

Thanks.

:)

AlexJennings2, Aug 4, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 and upgrading hardware

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 and upgrading hardware

1. Windows 10 and upgrading hardware - Similar Threads - upgrading hardware

2. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020 OS build 19045.4291 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0 Hi, above info is of my current windows os on my pc. I'm changing my motherboard and cpu soon. My current cpu does not support...
  3. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29-‎06-‎2020 OS build 19045.4291 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0 Hi, above info is of my current windows os on my pc. I'm changing my motherboard and cpu soon. My current cpu does not support...
  4. After major hardware change do i need to install windows 10 first then free upgrade to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11: I have a full retail copy of Win 10 on a digital license linked to my Microsoft account, but my hardware fails the compatibility check due to a 7th gen Intel CPU, despite the fact that it runs at 4.5 GHz. I am looking to buy a new motherboard and CPU and will install my...
  6. Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11

Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11: I have a full retail copy of Win 10 on a digital license linked to my Microsoft account, but my hardware fails the compatibility check due to a 7th gen Intel CPU, despite the fact that it runs at 4.5 GHz. I am looking to buy a new motherboard and CPU and will install my...
  7. Upgrading Hardware so that I can upgrade to Win 11

8. hardware upgrade - windows activation not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hardware upgrade - windows activation not working: I did post this previously but accidentally using the wrong Microsoft account, but I've added more info based on answers thereI've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find...
  9. hardware upgrade - windows activation not working

hardware upgrade - windows activation not working: I did post this previously but accidentally using the wrong Microsoft account, but I've added more info based on answers thereI've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find...
  10. Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?

Do I need to re-buy a digital Windows 10 license if I upgraded my PC Hardware?: Hi Folks,Apologies if this has been posted before I definitely think it will have.... I can't figure out how to navigate these forums at all. Little background, many years ago I purchased a physical copy of Windows 7. I was then eligible for the upgrade to Windows 10. PC has...