Windows 10: Windows 10 and Windows 7 File Sharing

Discus and support Windows 10 and Windows 7 File Sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 5 computers on a home network. One of the computers is Windows 10, the other 4 are Windows 7. All the Windows 7 computers are able to open and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jerrymc333, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Windows 10 and Windows 7 File Sharing

I have 5 computers on a home network. One of the computers is Windows 10, the other 4 are Windows 7. All the Windows 7 computers are able to open and transfer files and folders. Even though the Windows 10 computer can see folders on the Windows 7 computers, and vise versa, when I try to transfer files or folders I get an error message saying: "Windows cannot access the folder. You do not have permission to access the folder. Contact your network administrator to request access." All was working fine until Windows updated to ver. 1803. I found this fix on a site but it didn't work.

The steps to re-enable the ability to view and access shared devices/computers are shown below and requires changing a Windows 10 1803 Services settings items called ‘Function Discovery Resource Publication’ and ‘Function Discovery Provider Host’

1. Access the Windows 10 Run dialog box via the Start Menu/Windows System/Run option or by pressing the Win + R keys on the keyboard. Note: One can skip Step 1 and 2 and proceed to Step 3 if accessing the Services settings via search(Cllick/Tap the Windows Start Menu icon and enter ‘Services’ then click or tap on Services(Dekstop app)
    2. If using the Run dialog box – enter services.msc in the Run dialog box then press Return to load the Services dialog box window
    3. Scroll down in the Services window and select and double click/tap on ‘Function Discovery Resource Publication’ item(aka FDResPub) to access the service’s properties
    4. Change the ‘Startup type’ field entry from ‘Manual’ to ‘Automatic’ or ‘Automatic Delayed Start’
    5. In the same properties dialog box ‘Service status’ section click on Start (to start the FDResPub service) – see pic below
    6. Once the status indicator shows ‘Running’ Click ‘OK’ to close the Properties dialog box
    7. Repeat Step 3 through 6 for the item called ‘Function Discovery Provider Host’ (See Footnote [A])
    8. Close the Services window. Close all open windows and Restart the device.

Jerry

:)

Jerrymc333, Sep 10, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 10, 2018
  3. puma99dk| Win User
    puma99dk|, Sep 10, 2018
  4. Windows 10 and Windows 7 File Sharing

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Sep 10, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 and Windows 7 File Sharing

1. Windows 10 and Windows 7 File Sharing - Similar Threads - File Sharing

2. Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password: Hello,Currently trying to find a way to send a link only to specific emails with onedrive that will also allow me to password protect the link like I'm able to do when sending files via "share link with anyone" as opposed to "people you choose". Is there any way to do this?...
  3. Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password: Hello,Currently trying to find a way to send a link only to specific emails with onedrive that will also allow me to password protect the link like I'm able to do when sending files via "share link with anyone" as opposed to "people you choose". Is there any way to do this?...
  4. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  5. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  6. Network LAN file sharing continually disables, how do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network LAN file sharing continually disables, how do I fix this?: Hi! Me and my brother have been experiencing issues with LAN performance, and I cannot seem to figure out the problem. We like to game, and recently we have not been able to join each other over our local network connection. I can list every option I've tried: disconnecting...
  7. Network LAN file sharing continually disables, how do I fix this?

Network LAN file sharing continually disables, how do I fix this?: Hi! Me and my brother have been experiencing issues with LAN performance, and I cannot seem to figure out the problem. We like to game, and recently we have not been able to join each other over our local network connection. I can list every option I've tried: disconnecting...
  8. how to share files and printing between win 10 pro and win 7 through same network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to share files and printing between win 10 pro and win 7 through same network: how to share files and printing between win 10 pro and win 7 through same network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-share-files-and-printing-between-win-10-pro/430c90ef-ddf3-4f65-88bb-639000867472
  9. When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...

When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...: I have a private network for my business to share files throughout our different computers. Yesterday, it worked just fine as it has for months. However, today we cannot access files on the network from any computer. On my administrator login, when I try to open a network...
  10. When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...: I have a private network for my business to share files throughout our different computers. Yesterday, it worked just fine as it has for months. However, today we cannot access files on the network from any computer. On my administrator login, when I try to open a network...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows file sharing windows 7 and windows 10

2. can windows 7 share files with windows 10

3. WINDOWS 7 TO WINDOWS 10 FILE SHARING