Windows 10: Windows 10 and windows XP dual boot problem

Discus and support Windows 10 and windows XP dual boot problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgraded my windows 7 to 10. I had XP installed also. After the upgrade i couldn't boot from XP anymore(but it was showed on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by madris, Dec 18, 2015.

1. madris Win User

Windows 10 and windows XP dual boot problem

Hello,
    I recently upgraded my windows 7 to 10. I had XP installed also. After the upgrade i couldn't boot from XP anymore(but it was showed on the boot list) so reinstalled it. Now windows 10 doesnt appear in my boot list so i cant boot from it anymore. Any ideas how to make it work please ? i tried the BCD but no luck. Maybe i don't know how to use it but on the Edit List screen, it showed both windows 10 and XP and i selected windows 10 as default but it still doesnt show up on the startup screen and neither does it boot from it.
    Any ideas please ?

:)

madris, Dec 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 'Dual-boot'

When I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 10 all my files were saved despite information to the contrary. The upgrade went well and I am happy as I get to grips gradually with Windows 10. However I have one problem - dual booting. The upgrade automatically
    gave me a dual boot system with WIN10 being the primary OS boot with XP as an option. The problem is that I am now treated as two users users and this is contravening my licence for Office 2010. I have no requirement for dual booting but cannot find any
    method of removing the XP option when booting. Can anyone help?

retired techie, Dec 18, 2015
  3. Age of empires II won't work via windows 10

I suggest for old games, dual boot with XP and Windows 10

DUAL BOOT

Hardcore Games™, Dec 18, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What are you wanting to use Windows XP for? It might be easier to make an image of it and run it as a virtual machine inside Windows 10. I've only dual booted back to Windows 7 myself.

NavyLCDR, Dec 18, 2015
  5. madris Win User
    I need it to open an old DVR since Google Chrome and all other browsers don't support anymore the outdated plugin neccessary to view the security cameras i have. But the problem is that i can't boot to windows 10. I only boot from XP now

madris, Dec 18, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would install Macrium Reflect Free and create a rescue USB/DVD/CD. Boot the computer from the rescue USB/DVD/CD and under the restore menu will be a utility to fix startup problems. Run that and see if that will set up dual booting Windows 10 and Windows XP.

NavyLCDR, Dec 18, 2015
  7. madris Win User
    Thanks, i'll give it a try once the download is finished and i'll keep you up to date. Btw, isn't there any other way using the EasyBCD tool ?

madris, Dec 18, 2015
  8. madris Win User

I just tried it and it worked. Thank you a lot *Smile

madris, Dec 18, 2015
  9. mike s Win User
    Weird. I had a similar situation and, expecting the worst, read this thread before doing the upgrade - but things turned out differently.

I have an XP machine into which I had installed Windows 7 in a second partition. It created a boot selector menu with "previous operating system" as the second choice, and I subsequently renamed that to "Windows XP" using EasyBCD. There is no "system reserved" partition; just the XP and 7 partitions. The default selection was Windows 7.

This weekend I upgraded Windows 7 to 10. As expected, during the install, all the reboots went directly to the Windows 10 installer. On the last boot, when I was at the Windows 10 desktop, I ran Easy BCD without modifying anything, just to see that was left behind. To my surprise, there were two BCD entries, just as before, except the "Windows 7" entry was now "Windows 10".

When I rebooted from there, I saw the same familiar white-on-black text mode OS selector, and both entries worked.
    From a cold start, the machine boots in graphic mode and gives me the blue Windows 10 OS selector screen.
    I assume the difference in behavior on cold start and reboot is related to hybrid shutdown.

In any case, it all worked the first try, and even though I was prepared to do troubleshoooting there was no need to in the end.

mike s, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and windows XP dual boot problem - Similar Threads - dual boot problem

2. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  3. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  4. How to dual boot Windows 10 and Windows XP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to dual boot Windows 10 and Windows XP: Hello How do i dual boot Windows 10 and Windows XP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-windows-xp/ca49de03-55b4-4e2c-85a3-c06fa5be1550
  5. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP: Hello, can someone tell me how to dual boot Windows 10 with Windows XP ? or if you can provide a link with the complete tutorial. At this moment on computer windows 10 is installed, but this is not a problem. Because I can format hard drive, and if needed i can install...
  6. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows XP: Hello, can someone tell me how to dual boot Windows 10 with Windows XP ? or if you can provide a link with the complete tutorial. At this moment on computer windows 10 is installed, but this is not a problem. Because I can format hard drive, and if needed i can install...
  7. windows dual boot between 10 & XP

windows dual boot between 10 & XP: hello everyone! *Smile i'm new here just coming over from sevenforums *Roflmao2 anyway i hope sumone maybe able to give me a quick fix to this mess... ok here's the deal...I;ve got 2 partitions on 1 hard drive.....one is windows 10 installed on C: and the other is windows XP...
  8. Dual boot Windows 10 with XP

Dual boot Windows 10 with XP: Hi all I have recently purchased an OMEN 880 (win 10 home edition pre-installed),with 2 empty bays on top for extra hard drives and I would like to know if it's possible to install the hard drive from my Asus into one of these bays, then dual boot. I have read on the...
  9. Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.

Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.: Hi all, I had Windows XP on my hard drive for a long time, created a separate partition and installed Windows 10. (both 32 bit). Windows 10 is working fine, it set up the dual boot menu where I can also select Windows XP ("earlier version of Windows"). Problem is, in...
  10. Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10

Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Home on my PC and I'd like to dual boot Windows XP on top of windows 10. But how to do that since after XP, Windows 10 MBR will be lost. 25724