Windows 10: Windows 10 Animations Suffer from Stutters and Low Framerate

Discus and support Windows 10 Animations Suffer from Stutters and Low Framerate in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The Problem The animations in Windows 10 almost always stutter, or jump from one part of the animation to the end. This includes both system UI and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by vergvija, Mar 23, 2019.

1. vergvija Win User

Windows 10 Animations Suffer from Stutters and Low Framerate

The Problem

The animations in Windows 10 almost always stutter, or jump from one part of the animation to the end. This includes both system UI and in-app animations (eg. making a video full-screen on YouTube on any browser)

This is incredibly frustrating as it's happened on every laptop I've tried, and I currently have a laptop worth over $2000, UI and simple animations should not be a problem. The basic functions of Windows should be smooth, but I have yet to see a laptop of any price range, resolution or configuration that didn't have issues with the animations. I love the fluent design, acrylic accents and animations, but they're pretty simple animations and on Mac OS, they don't have problems, even with high resolutions and lower power overall. The fluidity of the experience on mac OS I believe, is the major draw subconsciously for a lot of people who swear by it.

To Recreate

The stutters happen quite often no matter what I'm doing, (a lot of the time animations are incredibly low framerate if they are being used for the first time in a while) but to consistently recreate it:

1. Switch between opening the notification center, opening the search bar, opening the start menu and entering into the timeline/multitasking view, one or more of the animations will stutter or completely skip the animation.
    2. Switch to the timeline/multitasking view and back multiple times. I realize this is not a typical use case, but this is an example, plus, by now we should have a smooth experience for basic OS features, no matter what we're doing.

What I've Already Done/Researched

• Driver Updates: I have updated the drivers for every single component manually, going to the manufacturer's to make sure that I had the most up to date versions.
    • Computer Resets: I have reset and fresh start my computer so many times, deleting all files, and currently have very few programs installed and very few files in general.
    • Other Devices: I have tried each of my 4 family members' laptops (all lower-end configurations than mine, but lower resolutions as well) and I've tested laptops in store, including in the Microsoft store, and found that the issue has existed in every single device.
    • Different Resolutions: I've tested my own laptop at 1080p, rather than it's native 2160p. It improves very slightly, but definitely not enough to be worth staying at the resolution.
    • Optimus Fixes: I have an Intel integrated GPU as well as an Nvidia dedicated GPU, so I thought it might be the problem that a lot of people have had with Optimus technology, in which the dedicated GPU would turn on for a fraction of a second, resulting in a split second of lag. Unfortunately, my symptoms are not the same as the ones demonstrated in these threads, the older fix of downloading a tool that kept only one GPU on didn't work, and the newer fix is just to update the computer, which apparently fixed a lot of their issues. (I've always been fully updated and even just switched back to a Windows insider preview after some time of being on the retail version of Windows, where the issue is still present).
    • Performance Settings: I've changed performance/power settings through my BIOS, the Nvidia control panel, the Intel control panel and Windows power options (including setting the CPU minimum state to 100%) to always be at the highest possible performance.
    • Forum Research: I've researched this topic to the ends of the earth, but every single forum I've come across has ended with the representative of the company either completely misunderstanding what the problem was, or in an open-ended statement like "performance will improve with updates." (Some of these are from years ago).

My System

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 7577 (UHD version)

CPU: Intel Kaby Lake i7-7700HQ

Integrated GPU: Intel HD630

Dedicated GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 Max-Q

Chipset: Intel 100 Series - HM175

I would really appreciate any ideas, help, solutions etc. I'm hoping this will become a good source of information for this topic, as the other forum posts I've seen about this went around in circles and/or were closed quickly. Thank you!

PS: Just turning off animations is not a solution :{|.... The whole reason this is so frustrating in the first place is because I love fluent design and its animations. Plus I shouldn't have to...

:)

vergvija, Mar 23, 2019
  2. x0nar Win User

Windows 10 Stuttering Maximise Animation

Hi there.
    I am facing a problem which has been bugging me out for the last two days.
    My current laptop is Inspiron 7559 and has the following Specifications

I7 - 6700 HQ
    NVIDIA GTX 960 M 4GB
    Intel HD 530 Graphics
    16 GB RAM
    1 TB HDD
    128 GB SSD
    4K Touchscreen Display

So I just received my laptop 4 days ago and I'm facing the problem as described below from the day I received it.

Whenever I try to maximise or minimise the window of any application, or switch to other applications, I'm getting a horribly stuttering Animation of the default zoom out (ie. the default one of zoom out animation when you open Explorer or Use Alt Tab).
    This is really irritating.

Things I have tried out till now

Update Intel as well as Nvidia Drivers
    Uninstall each of them individually and then check ( the problem still remains)
    Update BIOS
    Run a Diagnostic Scan as suggested by Dell
    Reset Windows
    Reinstall Windows from Scratch

The only fix I have found is to Disable Animations, but I really would prefer the animations being on.

I seriously don't know what the problem is here. Please help me out, as a laptop so much powerful is stuttering at performing basic tasks.
    Also I haven't installed anything on the Laptop yet, and the Hard Disk as well as SSD are both empty (ie nothing has been stored on them yet)

Also if it helps, Windows 10 resides on SSD.

Please help

x0nar, Mar 23, 2019
  3. Maximizing window animation of 4k windows has a severly reduced framerate

This is not a major issue, but noticeable nonetheless. I am interested in the technical details what could cause this behavior, and hopefully this could provide insights into how to fix it as well.

I noticed that the maximize window animation on my newly bought Dell XPS 15 9550 stutters. Nothing major, but the animation is far from smooth which is what I would expect from a high-end product. If I have to guess it is reduced to 10 fps
    or so. At first I thought possibly the graphics drivers were not installed correctly, but this was not the case. Most other animations are smooth, e.g., the start menu which pops up, action center, ... and even the minimize animation!

Subsequently I noticed that maximize animations on my secondary screen (which is only HD, not Ultra HD) ran smoothly. It is only windows which near about 3/4th of the full 4k size (3840x2160) which stutter when maximizing.

The graphics card used by Windows 10 is Intel HD Graphics 530. Given that they put this in a laptop with a 4k screen, I would expect they at least benchmarked it to see whether it runs smoothly for perfectly normal use. An exact same machine of a colleague
    of mine shows the same symptoms, thus I do not believe it to be a restricted issue to this single machine.

Steven Jeuris, Mar 23, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Animations Suffer from Stutters and Low Framerate - Similar Threads - Animations Suffer Stutters

2. Audio quality suffered from Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio quality suffered from Windows 10 upgrade: Since upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the audio quality is dreadful - like an old radio compared to previous quality stereo sound. Is this because the Realtek driver and software have been replaced by High Definition Audio Device so called! - and how do I get back...
  3. Audio quality suffered from Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio quality suffered from Windows 10 upgrade: Since upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the audio quality is dreadful - like an old radio compared to previous quality stereo sound. Is this because the Realtek driver and software have been replaced by High Definition Audio Device so called! - and how do I get back...
  4. Computer suffering from stuttering/freezes from time to time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer suffering from stuttering/freezes from time to time: Hello, I'm creating this post because after quite some time I still haven't found a solution to my problem - perhaps someone here had the same issue and can somehow help me fix it. So, for about two months my computer started slowing down at random times. Specifically, it...
  5. Windows 10 limits animation framerate to the lowest frequency monitor connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 limits animation framerate to the lowest frequency monitor connected: I have a 240hz monitor and a 60hz one. When I connect the 60hz one the animations like virtual desktop left-right are slowed down to 60hz on the 240hz display. Any workarounds to this? Thanks! submitted by /u/CinematicSausages [link] [comments]...
  6. Experiencing Windows 10 Framerate difficulties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Experiencing Windows 10 Framerate difficulties: I've been experiencing a few lag spikes, dropping framerates and MPs lag, I am wondering are there any ways to fix this cause? It happened after a few months when I got my new Gaming Laptop, Acter Nitro 5 which has Windows 10. whenever it starts up it works fine, once around...
  7. Windows Video Editor / Photos App with extremely low framerate?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Video Editor / Photos App with extremely low framerate?: Currently I'm editing some videos with the new, built-in Windows Video Editor. The framerate seems very low, both in the preview and also in the finished video. I'm using raw material shot using my iPhone XS, and I am not doing anything in particular. For now, I'll be...
  8. Windows 10 Pro stuttering and low kernal responsiveness

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Pro stuttering and low kernal responsiveness: Hi, So i have a brand new custom built PC Ryzen 9 3900x, asus 2070 super, msi x570 gaming pus mobo, 16GB RAM, Samsung 960 evo plus and 64bit microsoft pro. So what has been happening recently, as in the past 2 weeks PC is 3 weeks old is that windows has been stuttering....
  9. Desktop suffering from stuttering, FPS drops, and random crashes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop suffering from stuttering, FPS drops, and random crashes.: Hello all, This is the first post I will be making outside of the welcome page. My Desktop computer has been having issues with games constantly stuttering and occasionally crashing for what seems like no reason. There are error logs reported on Event Viewer for the...
  10. Windows 10 Stuttering Maximise Animation

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Stuttering Maximise Animation: Hi there. I am facing a problem which has been bugging me out for the last two days. My current laptop is Inspiron 7559 and has the following Specifications I7 - 6700 HQ NVIDIA GTX 960 M 4GB Intel HD 530 Graphics 16 GB RAM 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD 4K Touchscreen...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu stutter low fps animation

2. windows 10 low frames animations