Windows 10: Windows 10 Aniv (or older) Search Details view setting not persistent

Discus and support Windows 10 Aniv (or older) Search Details view setting not persistent in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I really like the details view. The File Explorer Details view works great on all folders. However when ever I search (which windows search sucks and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MyTen, Sep 21, 2016.

1. MyTen Win User

Windows 10 Aniv (or older) Search Details view setting not persistent

I really like the details view. The File Explorer Details view works great on all folders. However when ever I search (which windows search sucks and is another story) it always REVERTS back to the CONTENT view, even though I set it to show DETAILS. I could not find a way for it to have the DETAILS view persist when I do search. I am posting a video that illustrates the issue
    Recordit: Record screencasts fast & free! with GIF Support!

In one folder for some reason it did stick to Details view , but not sure how.
    I thought I can run the search and click on Folder options and Apply to all folders, but that is greyed out when in search.

it is just a nuisance

Thanks

:)

MyTen, Sep 21, 2016

2. Windows 10 Aniversary update

When i tried to install the Aniv. update , it says there is error 0x80070020. I have another laptop that installed it with no problem and it is even an older laptop than the one i have an error on.

Fred Farina, Sep 21, 2016
  3. thejohnz Win User
    Explorer saved searches default to Content View/Descending Order in spite of being saved as Xtra Large Icon/Name (Ascending)

The nearest I've come is this article about changing the registry to set the default display to Details - http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/search-results-content-view-fix-details-windows-10/ using
    the following regedit file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Fixes search results defaults to Content view.

;Sets Details view as the default search results view for Generic folders.

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell\{7fde1a1e-8b31-49a5-93b8-6be14cfa4943}]

"LogicalViewMode"=dword:00000001

"Mode"=dword:00000004

However I don't know how to adapt this to default to Xtra Large Icons or how to change the sort order to Names/Ascending

Any ideas?

thejohnz, Sep 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if I search a folder in file explorer, and set the display to, say, medium icons, and close explorer, and then repeat that with a different folder, but set the search results to, say, Details, then if I go back to the first folder and do a search, the display is medium icons. The same with the other folder.

I.e. the format of the search results is remembered for a particular folder.

What I think you are asking for is all search results to be presented in a particular view, the same for all folders. Is that correct?

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  5. MyTen Win User
    Yes that's exactly what I want. However the first thing you described is not happening in my case. It just reverts back to content view. I want it to stick to details. For all folders

MyTen, Oct 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Unfortunately I'm not aware of any fix for this. Taking by contrast the simpler? case of simply how explorer views a folder being retained from one time to another, much has been discussed on that.

E.g.
    Windows 10 not saving my folder view options. - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving - Page 26 - Windows 10 Forums

Do you find that you have a problem that having set a view for a particular folder, next time you open file explorer and open the same folder, the view is not the same?

dalchina, Oct 15, 2016
  7. MyTen Win User
    Thanks for the reply and the direction

MyTen, Oct 19, 2016
  8. MyTen Win User

So I was not able to get the settings to stick for whenever I searched in Windows 10. It ALWAYS reverted back to Content view which I hate. I wanted it to Sort Date Modified and Details view.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\ComDlg\{7FDE1A1E-8B31-49A5-93B8-6BE14CFA4943}\{BDBE736F-34F5-4829-ABE8-B550E65146C4}

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell\{7FDE1A1E-8B31-49A5-93B8-6BE14CFA4943}\{BDBE736F-34F5-4829-ABE8-B550E65146C4}]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\ComDlg\{7FDE1A1E-8B31-49A5-93B8-6BE14CFA4943}\{BDBE736F-34F5-4829-ABE8-B550E65146C4}

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell\{7FDE1A1E-8B31-49A5-93B8-6BE14CFA4943}\{BDBE736F-34F5-4829-ABE8-B550E65146C4}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{7fde1a1e-8b31-49a5-93b8-6be14cfa4943}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{7fde1a1e-8b31-49a5-93b8-6be14cfa4943}\TopViews\{bdbe736f-34f5-4829-abe8-b550e65146c4}

Not sure these are affecting anything as my mode LogicalViewmode was set to 5 and it did not change the view for me.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{7fde1 a1e-8b31-49a5-93b8-6be14cfa4943}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{7fde1 a1e-8b31-49a5-93b8-6be14cfa4943}\TopViews\{bdbe736f-34f5-4829-abe8-b550e65146c4}

If someone wants to change the Generic Folder view to Details and Column settings
    Look for the {5c4f28b5-f869-4e84-8e60-f11db97c5cc7} GUID

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{5c4f28b5-f869-4e84-8e60-f11db97c5cc7}

Hope this helps someone out.

MyTen, Oct 20, 2016
  9. Zardoc Win User
    Hi MyTen,

Thanks for the post. *Wink

You changed the generic.SearchResults.
    Did you create HKROOT and HKLM keys?

I don't have them.

Unfortunately, since libraries aren't folders but XML, I can't seem to find were to set view. Only remembers per folder not sub folders included.

LogicalViewMode | Value | Description
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Details | 1 | Details view
    Tiles | 2 | Tiles view
    Icons | 3 | Icons view
    List | 4 | List view (Windows 7 and later)
    Content | 5 | Content view (Windows 7 and later)

Mode | Value | Description
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Icon | 1 | Medium-size icons
    Small icon | 2 | Small icons (seems unused)
    List | 3 | Object names are displayed in a list view
    Details | 4 | Object names and other selected information are shown
    Thumbnail | 5 | Thumbnail icons
    Tiles | 6 | Large icons
    Thumbstrip | 7 | Display icons in a filmstrip format (XP only)
    Content | 8 | Content mode (Windows 7 and later)

Zardoc, Oct 24, 2016
  10. MyTen Win User
    I am not sure tell you the truth. I used Procmon.exe from Systernals to monitor changes and realized the regs it was writing to. Maybe you can do that on your end.

MyTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Aniv (or older) Search Details view setting not persistent - Similar Threads - Aniv older Search

2. Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set default in File Explorer to List or Details View in Windows 10: On my computer, File Explorer in Windows 10 defaults to the icons view. That is useful sometimes, but by default, I want File Explorer to permanently open documents to List View except for Pictures. How can I set the default view to List View?By default, when I open File...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer search : how to persist view settings

Windows 10 File Explorer search : how to persist view settings: Hi, How should I persist my view settings in the "search tools" tab in file explorer ? I hit CTRL-F and then search for something. I then change the View de Details, add the "Path" column, reorder, sort, whatever. I want to be able to have this view whenever I search for...
  4. search results to be in DETAILS view

in Windows 10 Support
    search results to be in DETAILS view: When I do a search, I want the results to be in DETAILS view instead of CONTENT view. How to make the change so that results always come up in details view? Win 10 165737
  5. Add details to files in the detail view

Add details to files in the detail view: Hello. I have a folder, "Invoices," that has a few different file types in it. The files are invoices that I get from vendors, normally as email attachments. I have over 100 vendors and I get the invoices as PDF's, Excel, or Word. I drag and drop the email attachment to...
  6. How to set default SEARCH view to DETAILS

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set default SEARCH view to DETAILS: I do many file/folder searches in my work and the search result view is always CONTENT. I would like my default search view to always be DETAIL? Windows 10 pro Any help for this would be appreciated. Thank you 163751
  7. Windows 10 reset search view settings

Windows 10 reset search view settings: Hello, Ok, so I was playing around with changing how to set up a default search view settings, looked up a tip online about editing the reg database. No I didnt backup the reg database, and I dont have system restore on. But obviously something went wrong, and now when I...
  8. Windows Search - set default to details

in Cortana
    Windows Search - set default to details: We have a customer who wants their Windows Search results set to details by default. Outlook 365 The default is content for search results and the customer has to reset each time to Details. This can be managed by changing the registry but then is reset after Windows...
  9. Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the Default Search View to Detail View (not Content View): When I do a search, I want the default view of the results to be the detailed view. How do I change the default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-search-view-to-detail-view-not/8d2eb719-0ee7-466c-87c5-30878be8656f
  10. Set DefaultFolder view to Details

in Windows 10 Support
    Set DefaultFolder view to Details: I'm still confused as to how I can set my default folder view to "details" globally in windows 10. Sorry, I must be thick headed. 70218