Windows 10: Windows 10 apps start and appear on the task list, but don't display on the desktop

Discus and support Windows 10 apps start and appear on the task list, but don't display on the desktop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, Windows 10, patched up to date. I have a persistent problem with applications not displaying when started. I can see they are started through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Karl0001, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Karl0001 Win User

Windows 10 apps start and appear on the task list, but don't display on the desktop

Hi,

Windows 10, patched up to date.

I have a persistent problem with applications not displaying when started. I can see they are started through task manager, but they don't display on the desktop. The problem has been happening for a few months now.

The problem impacts all applications at different times including everything in the MS Office suite; Outlook, Excel, Teams, Onenote, Visio. Also visual studio and VS Code all have the same problem. 3rd party apps are also affected; postman, spotify. Native Java apps seem to be ok for some reason.

The issue is intermittent and doesn't always impact the same program twice.

Rebooting solves the problem provided I start all the apps I think I want to use straight away - they all work fine then. But if I suddenly need a new app to run a few hours later, then it won't display. It's started under task manager, but never displays it's window on the desktop.

I don't see any events in the event log for such issues.

I've run the DISM tool already;

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

These detected no issues and had no impact on the issue.

:)

Karl0001, Dec 17, 2020
  2. Salsanita Win User

Can´t display the desktop

I cannot display my desktop Windows and D doesn´t work and i don´t have a display desktop option when I go to the task bar. Think I might go back to windows 8!!

Salsanita, Dec 17, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Windows 10 apps start and appear on the task list, but don't display on the desktop

Preventing Recently Added apps on Start Menu from Auto Deletion

@dalchina, How can I view the installed programs in installed date order.

Manasan3010, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 apps start and appear on the task list, but don't display on the desktop

1. Windows 10 apps start and appear on the task list, but don't display on the desktop - Similar Threads - apps start appear

2. Icons don't appear on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons don't appear on the desktop: Dear experts,I've just installed win 11.I went through the File Explorer to the Desktop and I see there the file a.docxHowever when I go to the desktop Windows + D I don't see this file. I only see some shorcuts....
  3. Icons don't appear on the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons don't appear on the desktop: Dear experts,I've just installed win 11.I went through the File Explorer to the Desktop and I see there the file a.docxHowever when I go to the desktop Windows + D I don't see this file. I only see some shorcuts....
  4. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list: I just reinstalled an app on my system. The app shows up in the Settings > Apps list, but not in the Start menu list. Why did this happen, and how do I fix it? Please note that I installed the app under another user; the last time I did that, the app showed up in Start; this...
  5. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list: I just reinstalled an app on my system. The app shows up in the Settings > Apps list, but not in the Start menu list. Why did this happen, and how do I fix it? Please note that I installed the app under another user; the last time I did that, the app showed up in Start; this...
  6. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows 10 Issues: Start button, task bar, apps don't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Issues: Start button, task bar, apps don't open: Hello everyone! Barely a month since we purchased a desktop PC we are encountering a host of problems. Mind you, I am a regular user with no computing background, but I can follow instructions and understand how to run certain commands via Run and Task Manager. That's it....
  8. Apps icons don't appear on my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps icons don't appear on my desktop: Hello, Can someone please help me resolve a problem with my computer? The problem is that the icons of apps do not appear on my desktop. In other words, I cannot access my desktop. Also, when I open a browser from the Start menu, it doesn't come out well. For example, I...
  9. Batch files appear to start but don't fully execute on Windows 10 Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Batch files appear to start but don't fully execute on Windows 10 Task Scheduler: I recently set up a new system with Windows 10 Pro and copied the C:\Batch folder to the new system These systems are essentially identical in their hardware configuration except for the motherboard, memory & video card. ( Borh are ASUS Motherboards and Video cards with i7...
  10. Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list: I inadvertently clicked on a programme and not looking properly clicked an acceptance to change the DPI, it was this little app, Windows 10 DPI Fix, all it did was cause the problem that I have now. *Sad Windows 10 DPI Fix 2.2 Read more at: Download Windows 10 DPI Fix -...