Windows 10: Windows 10 asks for network credentials to access other computers on network

Discus and support Windows 10 asks for network credentials to access other computers on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why does MS make it a constant struggle to access other computers on a homegroup. Every time there is an update for windows 10 I have to reestablish... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoeLucia1, Sep 13, 2018.

1. JoeLucia1 Win User

Windows 10 asks for network credentials to access other computers on network

Why does MS make it a constant struggle to access other computers on a homegroup. Every time there is an update for windows 10 I have to reestablish my homegroup on all of my home network computers to share or copy files. Frankly it is a royal pain. Thanks Joe

:)

JoeLucia1, Sep 13, 2018

2. Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, Sep 13, 2018
  3. Network credentials?

I had the same problem. It looks like Microsoft has discontinued support for Homegroups, which I think is what made it crop up for me. I tried dozens of fixes I found posted all over the internet until I ran across one which makes sense and worked for
    me.

I have three Windows 10 computers on the same network. They all see each other (under Windows Explorer "Network") but when I tried to access them I was prompted for "network credentials" which never worked.

First I turned off and disabled Homegroups on all three computers. I used the procedure from

here
    . Then I restarted all three.

Then on each of the computers I did this:

• Search for "credentials" and start Credential Manager.
    • Select Windows Credentials.
    • Either Edit or create a Windows credential for the other two computers. Be sure the User Name is your Windows login name (account name?) and re-enter your Windows login password even if one is shown.
    You may need to enter your credentials the first time you access another computer across the network after this, but check "remember my credentials" and you shouldn't have to again.

I had garbage user names and passwords in Credential Manager for some reason, but when I cleaned them up like this all was well.

CarpeCimex, Sep 13, 2018
  4. Windows 10 asks for network credentials to access other computers on network

Network Credentials - Windows 10

Hi Ford,

On this thread, one of the mentioned reasons why you encounter the networking error is due to an incorrect setup on the credentials. To determine the appropriate troubleshooting steps to resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• How many devices are affected?
    • Are you getting any error messages when connecting to a network? If yes, send us a screenshot.
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed to resolve your concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, Sep 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 asks for network credentials to access other computers on network

1. Windows 10 asks for network credentials to access other computers on network - Similar Threads - asks network credentials

2. windows 10 network issue asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 network issue asking for credentials: I have just reinstalled windows 10 as I was having issues updating. I am now trying to setup a network. I have setup file sharing etc. my network is private. I have turned on network discovery and I have turned off the pin and the need to sign into windows.when I try to...
  3. Asking for Network Credentials

Asking for Network Credentials: I have two machines, A and B. Both run W10 1909 as local accounts. Each have the same user name and are connected to the same private network. Both appear in the other's File Explorer. A can access B but when tries to access A it gets an "Enter Network Credentials" message....
  4. credentials problem accessing computer on home network

credentials problem accessing computer on home network: Simple version: When I attempt to access computer name Tosh-64 from any other computer on the network, I WAS getting challenged for a user name and p/w. I kept getting 'wrong uname or p/w. Made a big mistake and tried MS account credentials. It's a local account and of course...
  5. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network: Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not get to Main from Cad any longer. It asks for a Network Login which I am unsure of. I can ping both ways between the PCs. Is...
  6. Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network: I know have all of my computers on Windows 10. When I had only one on Windows 10 I could share all of the computers and their files including the Windows 10 one. Now I can only share printers. I can see all of the computer under Network but when I press on one of the other...
  7. WIN 10 Machine asking for Network Credentials.

WIN 10 Machine asking for Network Credentials.: My Newer PC that was working well and connected to my small network is now asking for Network Credentials. I have never had any in the first place. I have tried turning Passwords ON and OFF in the NETWORK Settings. (As suggested) still not able to open other PC'S File. Both...
  8. Network sharing asking for network credentials

Network sharing asking for network credentials: I am trying to connect to other pc's on my home network and have turned off password protected sharing. I can see the other computer in file explorer, but when I click on it I am asked for "Network Credentials". I have entered the Microsoft username and password and the...
  9. New Windows 10 PC: credentials to access others on network

New Windows 10 PC: credentials to access others on network: Hi, I'm setting up a new Windows 10 Home Premium PC and I have it connected to my router with an Ethernet cable. I have my old Windows 7 machine also connected to the router with a cable. When I try to access the Win7 PC from the Win10 PC, I'm asked to Enter network...
  10. Win 10 Suddenly asking for Network Credentials

Win 10 Suddenly asking for Network Credentials: Hello everyone, I'm new to the group. I have an interesting network problem. I'll try to be brief. I have four computers running Windows 10, 7 and XP Pro networked that use a common workgroup. Everything was working fine for months until just recently the computer running...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. using windows 10 to access another computer on network asks for credentials even though there isnt any