Windows 10: Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen

Discus and support Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If after updating Windows 10, and at login, you’re prompted for a PIN that you clearly never did set up on your device, you can try the solutions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 7, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen

If after updating Windows 10, and at login, you’re prompted for a PIN that you clearly never did set up on your device, you can try the solutions provided in this post to resolve this seemingly bizarre issue.

Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen Windows-10-prompts-for-PIN-instead-of-password-500x301.png

Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of password on Sign-in screen

If you’re faced with this issue, you can try our recommended solutions below in no particular order and see if that helps to resolve the issue.

1. Add and then remove the PIN
    2. Uninstall the Windows Update
    3. Perform System Restore
    4. Reset Windows 10

Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved concerning each of the listed solutions.

Before you try the solutions below, if you are presented with the PIN login prompt as shown in the lead-in image above, you can click other Sign-in options (the Key icon) and see if you can input your password and login successfully. You may also try to add and then remove the PIN. If that helps, good else proceed with the solutions below.

1] Uninstall the Windows Update

Uninstalling updates is usually not recommended. But in cases like this, you might have to uninstall the ‘buggy’ update on your Windows 10 device.

If after uninstalling the update but the issue isn’t resolved, try the next solution.

2] Perform System Restore

As you’re unable to log into your Windows device and get to the desktop, you can perform the System Restore method when you can’t boot to the desktop.

This System Restore operation reverts your system back to an earlier state before the update installation that is causing issues at the moment.

After that, you may Hide that update or Pause Updates for say 7 days – which gives time for Microsoft to release an updated fix.

3] Reset Windows 10

Here again, as you can’t get to the desktop on your Windows 10 device to perform a reset, you can try the Reset method from Advanced Options. Here’s how:

• Turn off and start the computer.
    • Press F11 to enter the Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options menu.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Select Reset this PC.
    • Select Keep my files option..
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Make sure you make Windows 10 save your existing files and data.

Hope this helps!

Related post: Unable to add or use PIN sign-in option in Windows 10.

Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen Windows-10-prompts-for-PIN-instead-of-password.png
    This article Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 7, 2021

2. Windows 10 asking for login password even after upgrading the virus protection on the PC instead of PIN password. How to switch back to PIN password?

Hello Billy,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Do you see Sign-in options option on the lock screen?
    • Are you using Microsoft account to login into the user profile?

If you have set an alpha-numeric password at the installation stage of Windows 10 OS and then changed the sign-in option to PIN password, you will be able to choose between the passwords entries at the login screen of the Windows.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if you see the
    Sign-in options option on the lock screen. If you do, click on the option and check if you can choose and enter PIN password to access your user profile.

Method 2: If the option is not presented on the lock screen and you are using Microsoft account to login into the user profile,
    I suggest you to change the login password from the link below and set PIN password to your user account by following the steps below.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Select Accounts from the options and click on
      Sign-in options
      from the left side panel of the window.
    • Click on Add under PIN settings, verify your account and setup a new PIN password for your user account.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 7, 2021
  3. Reldel Win User
    Cannot sign into user account with pin instead of password

Build 9926, after setting up a dual install of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, you should be able to sign into a user account (std.) using a pin instead of a password. The account uses a Microsoft account and when trying to personalize the sign-in to a pin, appears to show the normal screen progression that the pin is accepted, confirmed using the password, but the after signing out and trying to go back into the user account, no pin is offered. Only password sign in available.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Solutions? I tried going into group policy and found pin sign in by default is disabled. I enabled the policy, but that does not correct it.

Reldel, May 7, 2021
  4. Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen

Want to sign on with PIN instead of Password

Thank you for your reply Person.

Glad to know that the Pop up with the password manager is disabled with the above suggestion.

Try the below suggestions to fix the issue with Signing in using PIN authentication.

Steps 1: Launch the File Explorer.

Step 2: Browse to this location, and delete the contents of the folder.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

Step 3: Go to Settings (Press Windows
    and I key), Accounts > Sign in Options.

Step 4: Click on Add a PIN and set your PIN.

Step 5: Restart the computer and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 7, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen

1. Windows 10 asks for PIN instead of Password on Sign-in screen - Similar Threads - asks PIN instead

2. Can’t sign in to windows. They are suddenly asking for a PIN instead of PASSWORD that I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t sign in to windows. They are suddenly asking for a PIN instead of PASSWORD that I...: They say I can change from PIN to PASSWORD in “sign in options” but I can’t get to that without signing in. How can I change this? I’m working from an iPad to resolve this. I don’t want to but am considering going to a Mac. Can’t afford it. Microsoft is IMPOSSIBLE to get in...
  3. Can’t sign in to windows. They are suddenly asking for a PIN instead of PASSWORD that I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t sign in to windows. They are suddenly asking for a PIN instead of PASSWORD that I...: They say I can change from PIN to PASSWORD in “sign in options” but I can’t get to that without signing in. How can I change this? I’m working from an iPad to resolve this. I don’t want to but am considering going to a Mac. Can’t afford it. Microsoft is IMPOSSIBLE to get in...
  4. Can’t sign in to windows. They are suddenly asking for a PIN instead of PASSWORD that I...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Asking for password instead of pin.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asking for password instead of pin.: Last night I reset my PC as it was acting slow and app wouldn't start. I chose the option to keep files. This morning it is asking for a password to login rather than a PIN. I have tried resetting my password but the security questions are not the ones I set. I am thinking...
  6. Asking for password instead of pin.

Asking for password instead of pin.: Last night I reset my PC as it was acting slow and app wouldn't start. I chose the option to keep files. This morning it is asking for a password to login rather than a PIN. I have tried resetting my password but the security questions are not the ones I set. I am thinking...
  7. Asking for password instead of pin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Windows asks for password instead of pin

Windows asks for password instead of pin: I ised to log in via pin, but today it asked for password, totally out of blue. I couldn’t figure the password so I reset it in my Microsoft account. But new password doesn’t work as well. What do I do?...
  9. Windows is asking for a password instead of Pin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows is asking for a password instead of Pin: Hello I was getting some “host error” every time I’d start my computer so I followed this tutorial method number 3 to fix my problem, I disabled all windows services and restarted my computer. Upon restart it started asking me for my password which I don’t remember even tho...
  10. Want to sign on with PIN instead of Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Want to sign on with PIN instead of Password: I had that annoying and popular problem from HP Client Security asking me to remember passwords, so I signed onto HP Client Security to turn it off. In doing that, I put set up my Windows password. Now, no matter what settings I change (in both the HP Client Security or on...