Windows 10: Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Discus and support Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 has been available to the public for six months this week. By the numbers, it's been a hit, with 200 million active users as of the first of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Read more: Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? | ZDNet

Brink, Jan 26, 2016

2. *ThumbsExcellent article!

FWIW, the best and the worst of Windows 10 at the moment, IMHO:

+ "Windows 10 turns the process of resetting a PC into a one-click option that works on any PC, quickly and with minimal fuss." I was amazed when I did a clean re-install that way, it makes ISO and MCT a complete waste of time, IMHO.
    + "...massive investments in security in Windows 10 and the hardware it runs on. These are fundamental architectural changes that can't be delivered in patches." *Cool

- "Making the Windows shell rock solid should be a top priority in future upgrades."
    - "...widespread use of telemetry should make it easier to identify problematic updates more quickly than ever."

The last two issues are gating factors for mission-critical computers, IMHO.

:)

FrozenCursor, Jan 27, 2016
  3. posting photo on facebook

I will be honest with you. Based on my windows phone usage for more than six months, I can tell you this. Get ready for a lot more 'smirking' from your iOS pals. There really isn't much we can do about the limited app functionality or the smirking Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? :D

Jay_answers, Jan 27, 2016
  4. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Windows 10 Aniversary edition update bricks my PC

I assume my computer is capable of running Windows 10, since it is currently running the original July release, of Windows 10. it has been doing so for at least six months with no problem. I have had no trouble with other updates. The anniversary update
    is the first one I've had issues with

In truth, I am just about ready to give up on this one and build a new PC. My current one is getting a bit long in the tooth anyway.

PhilEstelle, Jan 27, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Nice article and some good points were made. I tend to think that 10 was ready for prime time right out of the box in July and it's just going to get better with the frequent updates and with luck more improvements with Edge and the UI.

Overall MS has done this one right,., the insider program let's the users to test and play around with new features early and provide useful feedback to MS that should make a much better product.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 27, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Windows needs to get Networking sorted out -- seems very random affair -- even with seemingly identical hardware one machine will connect easily while the other will remain in blissful ignorance of every other machine on the planet.

Even on these boards a load of people use NAS servers and the like --connectivity to these from laptops etc should be a100% priority.

These days I get more reliability using a Mobile Phone to Cast / stream TV / Movies / Music from a server than use a Windows device such as a Surface Pro 3 or 4 (good prospects though for those devices).

Apart from Networking issue Windows 10 definitely is STABLE / runs efficiently on almost any piece of hardware you can throw at it and has a nice GUI.

If you can live with the somewhat unpredictable nature of Windows Networking - then in my book W10 is a Winner and pleasant to use too.

I'd love an embedded version also for Thin clients -- again though if Networking is hosed up then this will be a no no. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 27, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    A good and informative read, I certainly agree with his massively improved Mail comment.

dencal, Jan 27, 2016
  8. larc919 Win User

Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I have 4 Win10 PCs networked including the one with Insider Preview and haven't had even a second network trouble. While I agree with your opinion of 10 overall, Edge definitely wasn't ready to compete against the big boys and still isn't, IMO.

larc919, Jan 27, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Win 7 / XP computers - no probs as well as Linux servers --- problem seems to be randomly affecting W10 to W10 computers - while if you've had no probs you are certainly one of the lucky one's.

However if you look at the networking thread you can see it's not a trivial issue.

I'd love the W10 system to integrate with Google chromecast too -- Multi-media is very "Mainstream" these days.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 27, 2016
  10. This very forum and its many sub-forums show these inconsistencies in many areas, fuelling discussions between lucky and unlucky owners, LOL

FrozenCursor, Jan 27, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Agree,, given the vast number of possible network setups it's not hard to believe there are issues. But MS can never test all possible satiations.

BunnyJ, Jan 27, 2016
  12. Trust_No1 Win User
    The problem I have is with Ed Bott himself..

Personally, I think he is more like a shill for Microsoft, he without doubt, is one of Windows 10, strongest advocates. He absolutely finds no faults with Windows 10, even if they are blatant. For some in this forum, they most likely would stand on crate tops and shout his praise. Myself, I give his articles the same regard as Softopedia, (very little merit). IMO.

Trust_No1, Jan 27, 2016
  13. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

I have followed Ed Bott since windows 98 and always found him to be straight talking, and above board.

hTconeM9user, Jan 27, 2016
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Really?? And would you put more credibility in an anti MS shill??

BunnyJ, Jan 27, 2016
  15. A doctor is not responsible for all sick people in the world, but if a doctor takes on a patient, then the doctor is responsible for that patient.

In the same way, Microsoft is not responsible for all computers in the world, but if Microsoft upgrades a computer to Windows 10, then Microsoft is responsible for that computer. Especially if GWX not only gives green light for upgrading that computer, but also cajoles people (you will be happy with Windows 10) and even pester people to upgrade to Windows 10 with the continual GWX pop-ups.

If the upgrade works (computer works better after the upgrade) then maybe all is fine. But all too often the upgrade does not work (computer works worse after the upgrade) and that's when people complain, justifiably so.

The complaint is justified even if the upgraded computer is not objectively broken, but the owner is not happy with the for him new Windows 10 GUI, and has to pay a tech to roll the computer back to Windows 7, for example. This human element is often forgotten in a tech forum like the present one.

In such induced upgrade scenarios 'a billion different computer configurations' or similar excuses, are not really valid excuses for Microsoft. There are 7 billion different human configurations for a doctor to consider, for that matter.

FrozenCursor, Jan 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? - Similar Threads - six months Ready

2. Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10: Microsoft previously announced the deprecation of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and several other apps. In a surprising move, the new Voice Access app will now replace the WSR app on Windows 11 22H2 and newer versions in September 2024, but you can continue using the...
  3. Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN: This is me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/is-there-any-time-table-on-a-coming-fix-for-the/ad983a68-7642-4f5e-aa56-df9bdc8a5fad?tm=1605565447443How lovely it has been this past six months, being forced to randomly hard reboot my...
  4. HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!: I have tried EVERY option given when booting up.....although I haven't used a windows pc in many years, in the past I would have simply re-installed operating sys from scratch, back when they came with a windows disk. There is no disk drive, so even if I did have a disk to...
  5. HP Pavilion Just six months old

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Pavilion Just six months old: Hello, My personal Laptop I bought from Costco about six moths ago, still under warranty. Apparently a Microsoft download on windows ten did not down load properly. I can get get to the sign on screenit is just a blurry screen. I called the Costco Concierge service, we ran...
  6. BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months: Hello TenForums, From past 6 months or so, my pc is getting BSOD's almost everyday. Its been a while since i did Format & OS, So i did it in the hope of getting rid of the BSOD, even after new windows 10 install, i'm still facing the BSOD's. Kindly help me in fixing the...
  7. Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either: I have a HP pavilion laptop and after an update, the number five and six key stopped working. Along with the key under the esc key and the dash next to the zero. Also on the number keypad, the number is not working either. Its not the keyboard itself since there are several...
  8. The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!: Security at a glance Reset Your Security Processor (Clear TPM) What happens now Make sure you backup before you start, or you may lose data. Select Clear and Restart below. Your device will restart. If you see a prompt to complete the clear action, confirm to continue....
  9. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?: I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G Sync issues, max Vram issues,...
  10. Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs: Gamers say performance woes haven't been addressed as Spring Creators Update looms A long-running glitch affecting some Windows 10 PCs continues to annoy gamers more than half a year after it was supposedly fixed. An anonymous Reg reader alerts us to this ongoing...