Windows 10: Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Discus and support Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A doctor is not responsible for all sick people in the world, but if a doctor takes on a patient, then the doctor is responsible for that patient.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 26, 2016.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

First off.. have you ever done any work with software/programming?? If you have you would realize that debugging code can be very hard and with an OS like 10 with well over 50 million lines of code it's next to impossible to fully debug. There is no way that MS or any maker of any OS can test every possible way a PC is configured or scenario on how it's set up,, software used etc.

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016

2. Fully agree with you there as each OS is different also Microsoft are not mind readers, the person who owns the computer could of altered a setting or not done something they should off

hTconeM9user, Jan 28, 2016
  3. MS doesn't specify an exact configuration that is guaranteed to work (or work at least as well as Apple's HW-SW combination).

lehnerus2000, Jan 28, 2016
  4. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

As an OS I find W10 at least as stable as W7/8 if not more so. Each update has improved stability and it was reasonably stable to begin with. There are still a few issues that annoy me. The W10 mail app is still ridiculously unreliable, sometimes syncing, sometimes not. It's not a major issue, I just use Thunderbird. The updating procedure I still find very problematic, the fact that you have to update (at least on the Home edition) and the 'changelog' tells you very little doesn't sit well with me, but apparently that's something I'll have to live with. At present, it isn't something that makes me question whether to use Linux full-time, but it may only take a couple of problematic updates to sway me, at least on my leisure machine. All the telemetry stuff doesn't really bother me.

Overall reasonably happy, with a couple of frustrations.

frankenhooker, Jan 28, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    The difference between those that like, and those that dislike W10.

Those that dislike want an O/S built to their personal specification, and will never be satisfied, perhaps they should get a quote from M$.

The likers think that an efficient off the shelf O/S at such a price is an absolute bargain.

dencal, Jan 28, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    Try deleting your accounts and reinstalling them as recent improvements have been made to W10 Mail.

dencal, Jan 28, 2016
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    And should they??

Apple has total control over the hardware/software combination and MS has zero control over the hardware that uses their OS.

I would expect that a basic motherboard and processor should have no issues using jut about any version of Windows.

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016
  8. unifex Win User

I find such comments to be not helpful. Windows PCs have evolved to the point where one can consider them a "product". A product should work without much tinkering on the side of a consumer (sure, tech enthusiasts, such people on this forum love tinkering with their PCs, but that's a different story). A lot of complaints about Windows 10 stem from the fact that people are being practically forced to upgrade only to see problems or inconsistencies. In particular, Windows 10 has a lot of restrictions regarding customization, there are lots of useless apps bundled with the OS that are hard to get rid of, etc. When such complaints are voiced, people start giving suggestions as to how to solve the little problem mentioned, but that's not the point.

The point is, Windows 10 is basically an unfinished product - almost by design - and not everyone is happy about such a thing being forced on them. If a product is forced on me, it better works. I have already tinkered with Windows 7 and it works perfectly on my PC. And now they want me to spend all that effort again on Windows 10 - more in fact, since Windows 10 is not quite finished. This is not about being fan or hater. This is simply the fact that I don't have the time (and don't want to make time) for tinkering. I need a PC that works. Windows 7 does work for me, while Windows 10 does not. Sure, I'm playing with it on and off on my free time, but frankly it's very frustrating.

unifex, Jan 28, 2016
  9. It is worse than that. GWX tell individual owners to upgrade even when the computer manufacturers say that the model is not compatible with Windows 10. Look at the Sony VAIO threads, for example.

In such induced upgrade scenarios, 'too difficult for Microsoft to test a billion different computer configurations' is not a valid excuse for failed upgrades.

FrozenCursor, Jan 28, 2016
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Very interesting post and thanks for chiming in.

My take, First off 10 is what should be vied as an OS that's going to be in constant development unlike any previous OS from MS. While it's being adjusted and new features will be added over time the cord product is done and set in stone so I'm fairly certain that the majority of features will be present for some time,, start menu ETC.

I would love to know what you do to tinker an OS. For me I use it just as it comes right out to the box. Like you I want an OS that just works and the best way for me to achieve that is not to tinker the OS. An OS is just a tool to me and the look is a secondary issue/thought. I use it so I can code(COBOL, Python and Java).. work on my Website and do some budget work. I can never really see myself spending any time tinkering an OS other than applying a few addition to the context menu and changing the color theme.. I have a great one done by @Cliff S.

For me... just use the OS as it is and don't worry about customizing it. Get work done with it and just enjoy the fact that it's a great OS out of the box.

Again.. my 2c..

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    That's the issue with the maker of the hardware and not MS. If they can't keep up with developing driver software they really shouldn't be in the business in the first place.

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016
  12. Did you ever use 95 or 98 when they first appeared or XP when that first came out.
    I did and 10 is 100% better than those 3
    With 10 I have had not crashes, freezes or having to go into dos to alter things.
    Why because I made sure my BIOS and drivers were up to date before I upgraded.
    Also from Toshiba when they offer an update and it is recommended then I install it.

hTconeM9user, Jan 28, 2016
  13. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Just look at the big picture, there are many more 'help me' postings on this 10 forums than on the sister 7 forums although there are many more Windows 7 users than Windows 10 users.

Or if you want to look at small pictures, I too have Windows 10 on a hobby computer, it works quite well on that machine. A couple of weeks ago, I tried Windows 10 on a more serious machine, I rolled it back to Windows 8.1 within 4 days. Windows 10 is inconsistent from one machine to the next.

FrozenCursor, Jan 28, 2016
  14. MrBill Win User
    Actually it isn't, and that's the valid point FrozenCursor is making. If anyone, I don't care if we are talking Microsoft, Apple, Nvidia etc. sends a notice saying you should upgrade your software, and that request gets more adamant, like ever increasing pop up windows, then the software darn well better work. I am a software developer, and a Microsoft Alumni, worked for them in the early to mid nineties. Everyone is correct that Windows has issues because it has to run on so many different pieces of hardware, configurations etc. That has always been true, and it is amazing how well it has done given those challenges. However, Microsoft Marketing seems to have forgotten this. Their 1 billion PC push seems to forget that "offering" a free upgrade by saying, "Hey upgade...UPGRADE NOW!" implies to the users it's a solid process.

I feel for the support folks at the company, and the developers. Back in the day there were only around 100 million PC/users out there. I can't imagine what they are going through with this install base. Bottom line though, Microsoft needs to stop pushing so hard. Not everyone should or needs an upgrade. Windows 10 is good. Windows 10 will make it to the enterprise, unlike 8.x. They need to let the Market move as it is ready. All they are managing to do at the moment is create unneeded negative press and internet chatter among those whose devices have been hosed because non-technical users clicked upgrade because they didn't know better.

MrBill, Jan 28, 2016
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    So,, how is MS responsible for Sony and anyone else that doesn't bother to take the time to update drivers for the upcoming OS?? They knew it was coming for some time and had adequate time to get ready. In the case of Sony they just didn't do anything to get ready for 10.. and how is MS responsible for any of this matter??

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? - Similar Threads - six months Ready

2. Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10: Microsoft previously announced the deprecation of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and several other apps. In a surprising move, the new Voice Access app will now replace the WSR app on Windows 11 22H2 and newer versions in September 2024, but you can continue using the...
  3. Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN: This is me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/is-there-any-time-table-on-a-coming-fix-for-the/ad983a68-7642-4f5e-aa56-df9bdc8a5fad?tm=1605565447443How lovely it has been this past six months, being forced to randomly hard reboot my...
  4. HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!: I have tried EVERY option given when booting up.....although I haven't used a windows pc in many years, in the past I would have simply re-installed operating sys from scratch, back when they came with a windows disk. There is no disk drive, so even if I did have a disk to...
  5. HP Pavilion Just six months old

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Pavilion Just six months old: Hello, My personal Laptop I bought from Costco about six moths ago, still under warranty. Apparently a Microsoft download on windows ten did not down load properly. I can get get to the sign on screenit is just a blurry screen. I called the Costco Concierge service, we ran...
  6. BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months: Hello TenForums, From past 6 months or so, my pc is getting BSOD's almost everyday. Its been a while since i did Format & OS, So i did it in the hope of getting rid of the BSOD, even after new windows 10 install, i'm still facing the BSOD's. Kindly help me in fixing the...
  7. Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either: I have a HP pavilion laptop and after an update, the number five and six key stopped working. Along with the key under the esc key and the dash next to the zero. Also on the number keypad, the number is not working either. Its not the keyboard itself since there are several...
  8. The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!: Security at a glance Reset Your Security Processor (Clear TPM) What happens now Make sure you backup before you start, or you may lose data. Select Clear and Restart below. Your device will restart. If you see a prompt to complete the clear action, confirm to continue....
  9. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?: I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G Sync issues, max Vram issues,...
  10. Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs: Gamers say performance woes haven't been addressed as Spring Creators Update looms A long-running glitch affecting some Windows 10 PCs continues to annoy gamers more than half a year after it was supposedly fixed. An anonymous Reg reader alerts us to this ongoing...