Windows 10: Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Discus and support Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I don't know if many really come here just to post that things went fine and everything just works. Many fanboys do, trying to drown out legitimate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Many fanboys do, trying to drown out legitimate issues *Roflmao2

FrozenCursor, Jan 28, 2016
  2. sgage Win User

You are still missing the point. You are arguing against something I didn't say. One more try: Of course MS is not responsible for vendors not updating their drivers. The problem is GWX telling people that their computers are compatible with Win10 when they're not! That is Microsofts problem. And it is earned MS a lot of unneeded bad PR.

sgage, Jan 28, 2016
  3. strollin Win User
    I believe, at this point in time, the Win 10 OS is pretty stable, it's the upgrade process that isn't.

As long as I've been using Windows (since 3.0), the recommendation has always been to avoid OS upgrades and go with a clean install instead. I've always stuck to this and have had very few problems over the years when moving to a new version of Windows.

I agree with the fact that MS can't possibly test all the various permutations possible in the PC world, if they tried they would never be able to ship the OS.

What irks me is how aggressive MS is being with trying to push the upgrade to all Windows machines. I have machines running Win 7 and Win 8.1 that I NEVER want to upgrade to 10. MS should respect that and not attempt to force the upgrade. It's fine to offer the upgrade but if I decline then that should be the end of it.

I have no problem with Win 10, I have it on several machines but, I have other machines that I don't want upgraded and need to be vigilant because MS has done things like download the Win 10 install files to my machines without my consent. That is crossing the line in my book.

MS should back off and let the user decide whether they want to upgrade or not.

strollin, Jan 28, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

What?? How is MS responsible for GWX failing in testing their drivers properly?? GWX said they would work and they failed.. they didn't work. So.. let's point the finger at MS?? The issue is that GWX didn't do their job properly and I can agree what they did didn't help out MS one bit.

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree with the point that MS has been a bit aggressive with the upgrade offer. They should have had a way to allow users to just opt out and not get the offer again after the first time they got it. That way everyone might have been happy with the process.

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016
  6. Microsoft is responsible for GWX failing, Microsoft uses GWX to guarantee that the upgrade will work on that particular computer.

7. unifex Win User
    For me the PC is a tool as well. However, my tasks are somewhat different. As a couple of examples, sometimes I'm doing calculations taking 100% CPU resources and sometimes I make presentations with a laptop. In both cases it's very important that the OS does not do anything else, but the task I set it to do. That means no updating, maintenance, scans, etc.

Unfortunately I see very often that people come onstage to give their talk only to see the message from Windows that a reboot is necessary or an update is important. Somehow, Windows does not understand that if the user is making a presentation, no extra information is needed onscreen right at that moment.

One other thing Windows completely fails at is the concept of the PC being idle. If I set the machine up for a heavy calculation and leave it to work for a couple of days, it's not idle, it's calculating. However, Windows defines "idle" as "no user interaction", meaning no input from the keyboard or mouse. This is completely ridiculous. If I use the machine for computation, I very often do not touch it until the calculation is finished, which may take days. However by default Windows will interfere with all kinds of automated tasks and ever will go to sleep if I do not move the mouse every half hour or so.

So from this you can guess what "tinkering" I'm doing. It has nothing to do with how the GUI looks like. What I do with the OS is to very carefully examine all automated tasks that may run at random time points and either reschedule them or turn off the automation (e.g. I do not need the OS to do any automated defragmentation while the machine is calculating, so I turn off automated defrag task, etc.). Similarly, automatic Windows updates are turned off - I check for updates manually. Windows Defender is off - I use another security suite (ESET). And so on, so forth. All in all, I need to go through Tasks, Group Policy, Services, Updates, and so on. It takes a while to set it all up. Windows Updates that introduce extra telemetry do not help, but since I do not install any updates automatically and always check what each updates does before installing, I manage to avoid all that stuff (e.g., I never had GWX installed and so it does not bother me, no Windows 10 files downloading automatically, etc.)

unifex, Jan 28, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Let's think this through a bit. Who created the drivers? MS or GWX. And who is ultimately responsible for the functionality of the drivers.. MS or GWX??

Is MS even capable of taking the time to test out every driver that is shipped to them for instillation??

From my perspective MS can't test every driver that comes their way and they can't be held responsible for GWX sending a faulty product no matter what GWX claims. I doubt MS has the time or resources to test each and every driver that is sent to them for instillation.

Well.. that's it for me.. life calls
    Have a nice day
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Sorry if my comment came off as a bit derogatory.. I just wanted to find out what you did with your PC to adjust it to meet your needs. Later on I can give this a good read.
    Thanks for posting
    Have a nice day

Again,., life calls.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    GWX is a Microsoft program.

It (supposedly) checks that the upgrade will work and flags drivers (or whatever) that might cause the upgrade to fail. There are countless examples where either the GWX program didn't flag a driver (normally the upgrade fails after first reboot in this case) or it did flag a driver but you can just ignore it anyway and upgrade.

MS aren't responsible for drivers but if they write a program (GWX) to check that another of their own programs (the upgrade) will work then they should write it better.

In actual fact not only could they have written it better, they already have. Setup.exe already includes this "what if" switch. Code: start /Wait SETUP.EXE /Auto Upgrade /Quiet /NoReboot /DynamicUpdate Disable /Compat ScanOnly echo %errorlevel%[/quote] You can then look in setupact.log and see exactly if there will be a problem.

So the problem really is that the GWX program is rubbish and upgrades are based (or pushed) on incorrect information which MS already knows (or could know if they looked at the output of another of their own programs).

So really, if the team who wrote the program to test if upgrade would be OK could talk to the team that wrote upgrade then it would all be fine *Wink

11. You don't seem to realize that GWX has a built-in compatibility tester that tests the entire computer, including drivers, BIOS, everything. It then gives a guarantee that that individual computer can be upgraded to Windows 10, a guarantee that is sometimes broken.

Of course Microsoft is responsible for the broken guarantee.

Edit: Ah, somebody was quicker *Smile

12. I bought the cheapest laptop that I could find and only load it with the PowerPoint file and the PowerPoint viewer, and disabled everything else. Works well *Smile

13. sgage Win User

Umm, GWX is a MS product, an integral part of the overly-aggressive update campaign. It is an official part of the upgrade process software, written by and totally under the control of MS. So yes, by all means, let's point the finger at MS Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? :)

sgage, Jan 28, 2016
  14. lx07 Win User
    Are you sure about that?

I didn't bother reading it but most EULA tend not to include any phrases like "this is guaranteed to work".

More likely to have phrases like "this excludes all implied warranties and conditions, including those of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose". That means "hopefully works" I think.

15. MrBill Win User
    Thank you, that has been the real point of this whole discussion. The root cause of the "drivers debate" and "upgrade debate" is that Microsoft does not want to take no for an answer with its GWX marketing tool. Human nature is sooner or later you will upgrade either to get the thing to shut up, or because you feel at some point you must really be missing out. At least this will be true for the majority of users who are not tech savvy. You thus end up with the issues that are discussed on the boards and around the internet.

If Microsoft had pushed the tool on your desktop and the user could choose "opt out", and the tool uninstalled that would be fine. In fact, I would argue they would have a case for GWX being useful on Windows 7 machines around June of 2019 when extended support is going to go away in six months. It could remind users of that and tell them they will need to upgrade.

MrBill, Jan 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? - Similar Threads - six months Ready

2. Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10: Microsoft previously announced the deprecation of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and several other apps. In a surprising move, the new Voice Access app will now replace the WSR app on Windows 11 22H2 and newer versions in September 2024, but you can continue using the...
  3. Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN: This is me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/is-there-any-time-table-on-a-coming-fix-for-the/ad983a68-7642-4f5e-aa56-df9bdc8a5fad?tm=1605565447443How lovely it has been this past six months, being forced to randomly hard reboot my...
  4. HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!: I have tried EVERY option given when booting up.....although I haven't used a windows pc in many years, in the past I would have simply re-installed operating sys from scratch, back when they came with a windows disk. There is no disk drive, so even if I did have a disk to...
  5. HP Pavilion Just six months old

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Pavilion Just six months old: Hello, My personal Laptop I bought from Costco about six moths ago, still under warranty. Apparently a Microsoft download on windows ten did not down load properly. I can get get to the sign on screenit is just a blurry screen. I called the Costco Concierge service, we ran...
  6. BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months: Hello TenForums, From past 6 months or so, my pc is getting BSOD's almost everyday. Its been a while since i did Format & OS, So i did it in the hope of getting rid of the BSOD, even after new windows 10 install, i'm still facing the BSOD's. Kindly help me in fixing the...
  7. Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either: I have a HP pavilion laptop and after an update, the number five and six key stopped working. Along with the key under the esc key and the dash next to the zero. Also on the number keypad, the number is not working either. Its not the keyboard itself since there are several...
  8. The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!: Security at a glance Reset Your Security Processor (Clear TPM) What happens now Make sure you backup before you start, or you may lose data. Select Clear and Restart below. Your device will restart. If you see a prompt to complete the clear action, confirm to continue....
  9. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?: I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G Sync issues, max Vram issues,...
  10. Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs: Gamers say performance woes haven't been addressed as Spring Creators Update looms A long-running glitch affecting some Windows 10 PCs continues to annoy gamers more than half a year after it was supposedly fixed. An anonymous Reg reader alerts us to this ongoing...