Windows 10: Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Discus and support Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Are you sure about that? I didn't bother reading it but most EULA tend not to include any phrases like "this is guaranteed to work". More... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 26, 2016.

1. unifex Win User

Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Practically nobody bothers to read the EULA since it's too long and written in legalese. In fact, I have read somewhere that if the EULA is longer than something (already unreasonable, 40 pages or so), then we consumers are legally not expected to read and comply (even if we hit "I agree" button to proceed with the installation). However, all disclaimers aside, the GWX program announces to the user that the PC is ready for Windows 10. That might not be a guarantee from a legal standpoint (i.e. you would not stand a chance in court with the claim that it broke your PC), in practice people take it at face value. You could argue that they get what they deserve, but in reality we're talking about vast majority of the population and the fact that all manufacturers including MS know that that's how people behave. That's why you see those ads with huge letters promising you anything you want being accompanied by "fine print" containing disclaimers that practically relieve the manufacturers of any responsibility in case the product advertised does not fulfill its promise.

My own disclaimer here is that I have never allowed GWX to be installed on any of my machines and hence I'm not speaking out of first-hand experience *Wink.

unifex, Jan 28, 2016

2. GWX is more assertive than that. If you click on the "This computer is compatible with Windows 10" link, you see further assertive details, such as "all your apps will work", etc.

FrozenCursor, Jan 28, 2016
  3. unifex Win User
    Actually this language is also putting me off. When they say "app" I'm picturing something small that works on my phone. When I run Mathematica on my PC, I would never call it an "app", although maybe it's my age talking ....

unifex, Jan 28, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Such a pity...impossible to avoid the usual moaning minnies...they would find fault if the O/S printed free useable banknotes.

If you have a concern join the insiders and express them directly to M$, then hopefully your concerns would be considered.

If W10 does not come up to expectations, one is not obliged to use it as there are other alternatives.

Every O/S from DOS up to the present incarnation had problems during their early years, perfecting them takes time.

dencal, Jan 28, 2016
  5. theok Win User
    Too Funny! Hilarious actually. MacRumors comes to 10Forums. To summarize, it's not "A" fault, it's not "M" fault, it's your fault and the choices "you" made. lmfao

theok, Jan 28, 2016
  6. Yeah sure, some people want to stick with Windows 7/8.1 for now, and are discussing when it will be safe to upgrade to Windows 10.

FrozenCursor, Jan 28, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    According to a recent post on this forum tests stated that it was safer than W7 or w8.1.

dencal, Jan 28, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

That will be an applet then. Or a application or a (actually I don't know).

All of the built in "apps" are what we used to call "metro apps" and then "universal apps". They are all shite (sorry but they are and I hope that isn't too rude a word). The only decent programs still run through the Win32 API.

Outlook is better than the mail app. VLC desktop is better than the VLC app. Skype desktop is better than the Skype app.

If anyone can name one single universal (or metro or whatever) app that is actually better than the desktop equivalent I'll eat my hat.

9. Yes I agree it is safer than any other OS they ever brought out.
    Yes I can all the OS from DOS upwards had problems, I spent many an hour online on a FixmyXP forum helping other members sorting out their problems.
    Also when they brought out SP1 and 2 which where upgrades they gave problems as well

hTconeM9user, Jan 28, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    +1 +1 +1 +1

Off topic and not directed at Ix07 :
    I could blow my horn and boasted and claimed to be Professor of English Literature.
    One look at my English writing will clearly show I am "full of it ".

davidhk, Jan 28, 2016
  11. RonCFL Win User
    Since I for once don't use any of the apps " Or whatever you want to call" that entail with the wds 10 ..
    For me ... wds 10 + Chrome browser is the best combination ...
    Enuf said ..*Smile

RonCFL, Jan 28, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    If you can blow your horn sir I'm impressed. I've tried believe me.

I'm just going to have to randomly rep you for that.

13. dencal Win User

Mail app better than Outlook in my experience.....SALT AND PEPPER or maybe you prefer MUSTARD with your hat.

dencal, Jan 28, 2016
  14. I fully agree with you Mail App the way to go
    Use it 100%
    Have all my e-mail accounts coming through it
    Also I don't even need to look to see when mail arrives I am notified straight away
    When this App arrived I dumped incredimail which I had just paid for.
    Also no hang ups with this App like I was getting with the above

So he had better eat his hat does he want sauce on it as well

hTconeM9user, Jan 29, 2016
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    I found and really like Em Client. It's free and one of the best Email Clients out there.. well out of the ones that I've tried and I've tried a lot of them.

Link: eM Client | Best Email Client for Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP

BunnyJ, Jan 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? - Similar Threads - six months Ready

2. Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10: Microsoft previously announced the deprecation of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and several other apps. In a surprising move, the new Voice Access app will now replace the WSR app on Windows 11 22H2 and newer versions in September 2024, but you can continue using the...
  3. Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN: This is me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/is-there-any-time-table-on-a-coming-fix-for-the/ad983a68-7642-4f5e-aa56-df9bdc8a5fad?tm=1605565447443How lovely it has been this past six months, being forced to randomly hard reboot my...
  4. HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!: I have tried EVERY option given when booting up.....although I haven't used a windows pc in many years, in the past I would have simply re-installed operating sys from scratch, back when they came with a windows disk. There is no disk drive, so even if I did have a disk to...
  5. HP Pavilion Just six months old

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Pavilion Just six months old: Hello, My personal Laptop I bought from Costco about six moths ago, still under warranty. Apparently a Microsoft download on windows ten did not down load properly. I can get get to the sign on screenit is just a blurry screen. I called the Costco Concierge service, we ran...
  6. BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months: Hello TenForums, From past 6 months or so, my pc is getting BSOD's almost everyday. Its been a while since i did Format & OS, So i did it in the hope of getting rid of the BSOD, even after new windows 10 install, i'm still facing the BSOD's. Kindly help me in fixing the...
  7. Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either: I have a HP pavilion laptop and after an update, the number five and six key stopped working. Along with the key under the esc key and the dash next to the zero. Also on the number keypad, the number is not working either. Its not the keyboard itself since there are several...
  8. The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!: Security at a glance Reset Your Security Processor (Clear TPM) What happens now Make sure you backup before you start, or you may lose data. Select Clear and Restart below. Your device will restart. If you see a prompt to complete the clear action, confirm to continue....
  9. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?: I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G Sync issues, max Vram issues,...
  10. Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs: Gamers say performance woes haven't been addressed as Spring Creators Update looms A long-running glitch affecting some Windows 10 PCs continues to annoy gamers more than half a year after it was supposedly fixed. An anonymous Reg reader alerts us to this ongoing...