Windows 10: Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Discus and support Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I'm not sure whether Ed Bott is really an expert. Personally, I found those built-in apps to be useless at best. Those which have a desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 26, 2016.

1. dencal Win User

Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

With all due respect I prefer Ed Bott,s expertise.

dencal, Jan 30, 2016
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Ed has been around for years and has written quality articles. I trust what he has to say and like his opinion.

BunnyJ, Jan 30, 2016
  3. snoopy51 Win User
    Ed Bott is a prolific technology writer and journalist with focus in Windows and Office products. With more than two decades' experience writing, he has written 25 books among them Windows 10 Inside Out.

Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? [​IMG]

If I recalled correctly, he is/was one of Editors in PC Computing and/or PC World. I have used several of his books to prepare for Microsoft Certifications.

snoopy51, Jan 30, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

Just being curious. What was Ed Bott's view of Windows 8?

Winuser, Jan 30, 2016
  5. sgage Win User
    So you're comfortable having your entire email correspondence over years completely stored on someone else's computer? I'm not. I like having the record under my own control, not Google's, or MS, or anybody else.

sgage, Jan 31, 2016
  6. The title of the article/thread doesn't seem appropriate as W10 has been out for ~6 months.

IIRC, he complained (a little bit).

These days he's closer to the majority opinion of the W8 series.

Overall I rate Ed Bott as OK (i.e. I probably agree with ~75% of what he posts).

lehnerus2000, Jan 31, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    I never followed Ed Bott and was just curious.

Winuser, Jan 31, 2016
  8. unifex Win User

My "control" over my old email correspondence ended up amounting to deleting gigabytes after gigabytes of old messages. Moreover, old backups are hard to open now since the formats tend to change over time. And most importantly, at some point I just realized old emails to be worthless to me. You see, I might be old-fashioned, but I've never treated email as serious correspondence. In fact, I actually delete most messages after I read them (and a whole lot more without reading). Anything significant should be done in writing, as in on paper. But even those records I get rid of periodically since most information loses its value over the years (I might keep the paperwork for my previous car, but papers of all cars before that are long gone).

unifex, Jan 31, 2016
  9. Cr00zng Win User
    Unless you have your own email server, your emails are stored in the cloud or on "someone else computer".

There are various types of cloud based email services. For example there are free email services, such as Gmail, MS outlook.com, etc. The alternative is paid for email hosting services, such as just for email and/or in combination with web hosting. In both cases, the email is collected and kept on "someone else computer" for a period of times for you to access, usually forever even if you selected to delete the email.

Certainly, there's more control with the email hosting than with free email services. But the point is that whoever runs your email server has full control of your emails. In such cases, your control of the email is limited to computer that you have full control of...

Cr00zng, Jan 31, 2016
  10. sgage Win User
    Yes, I know this. But I like to have my local archive just in case.

11. sgage Win User
    I only delete whatever spam makes it through the filter. As far as keeping old email, it's not a matter of legal significance - but I do occasionally need to look something up years later to confirm a date or some other info. It can be very useful.

I still like having my own local archive, just in case.

12. MrBill Win User
    Someone should have sent this to the former Secretary of State.(Thought she had her own server, only to find out that the service company kept copies.) In all seriousness though, you are 100% correct. Also, any email correspondence you have will be stored on the other person's server as well. This is why email can be such a security risk, even if you aren't a federal employee.

On the plus side, I personally like gmail, even if they do snoop. (Pretty boring stuff to read really.) Gmail has become my virtual filing cabinet over the years. I used to keep a local copy of all that email, but stopped that when I lost my local copy during a move to a new machine. I came to realize at that point it was not worth locally storing the 10 years of data I had accumulated.

MrBill, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime? - Similar Threads - six months Ready

2. Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11’s speech recognition gets axed in six months, but it’ll work on Windows 10: Microsoft previously announced the deprecation of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) and several other apps. In a surprising move, the new Voice Access app will now replace the WSR app on Windows 11 22H2 and newer versions in September 2024, but you can continue using the...
  3. Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN: This is me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/is-there-any-time-table-on-a-coming-fix-for-the/ad983a68-7642-4f5e-aa56-df9bdc8a5fad?tm=1605565447443How lovely it has been this past six months, being forced to randomly hard reboot my...
  4. HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP! six month old win 10 laptop stuck and won't boot!: I have tried EVERY option given when booting up.....although I haven't used a windows pc in many years, in the past I would have simply re-installed operating sys from scratch, back when they came with a windows disk. There is no disk drive, so even if I did have a disk to...
  5. HP Pavilion Just six months old

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Pavilion Just six months old: Hello, My personal Laptop I bought from Costco about six moths ago, still under warranty. Apparently a Microsoft download on windows ten did not down load properly. I can get get to the sign on screenit is just a blurry screen. I called the Costco Concierge service, we ran...
  6. BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Occuring Daily Atleast Once Since Six Months: Hello TenForums, From past 6 months or so, my pc is getting BSOD's almost everyday. Its been a while since i did Format & OS, So i did it in the hope of getting rid of the BSOD, even after new windows 10 install, i'm still facing the BSOD's. Kindly help me in fixing the...
  7. Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Five and Six keys not working in Windows 10, No. six on number pad not working either: I have a HP pavilion laptop and after an update, the number five and six key stopped working. Along with the key under the esc key and the dash next to the zero. Also on the number keypad, the number is not working either. Its not the keyboard itself since there are several...
  8. The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The Problem Is With Windows Defender - Six Month Issue!: Security at a glance Reset Your Security Processor (Clear TPM) What happens now Make sure you backup before you start, or you may lose data. Select Clear and Restart below. Your device will restart. If you see a prompt to complete the clear action, confirm to continue....
  9. Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?: I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G Sync issues, max Vram issues,...
  10. Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs: Gamers say performance woes haven't been addressed as Spring Creators Update looms A long-running glitch affecting some Windows 10 PCs continues to annoy gamers more than half a year after it was supposedly fixed. An anonymous Reg reader alerts us to this ongoing...