Windows 10: Windows 10 Atrocious HDD Performance

Discus and support Windows 10 Atrocious HDD Performance in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I got my new 1TB HDD into my Dell Vostro 5568, since the old one broke. For the time being though, I have no SSD, so I was worried that Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LimerOS, Apr 21, 2019.

1. LimerOS Win User

Windows 10 Atrocious HDD Performance

So I got my new 1TB HDD into my Dell Vostro 5568, since the old one broke. For the time being though, I have no SSD, so I was worried that Windows 10 wouldn't run nearly as efficiently as it should. Sadly, these nightmares came true.

While the normal system performance is decent, and read/writes are OK for a 5400RPM drive, and I was able to mostly fix the 100% disk usage, the boot times are VERY slow. My last BIOS time was an ABYSMAL 30 seconds, according to Task Manager. Seriously. This is seriously making me go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 despite their EOL looming overhead.

I seriously tried all I can:

-SFC

-DISM Repair

-Chkdsk

-Disk Defragmentation

-Changing stuff in UEFI

-Removing several Startup programs

-Removing resource-heavy programs

I use this OS and these "Metro" apps:

-Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 x64 Version 1809

-Windows Security

-Settings

-Search

-Dell SupportAssist

How on Earth can I even get that BIOS time down to the usual 5 seconds or so? *Sigh* Looks like I gotta try running Windows 8.1 on this new August 2017 laptop soon...

:)

LimerOS, Apr 21, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Apr 21, 2019
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Apr 21, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Atrocious HDD Performance - Similar Threads - Atrocious HDD Performance

2. System Misreporting HDD Performance?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Misreporting HDD Performance?: Hi all,I've been having this bizarre issue where task manager reports my HDD read and write speeds as around 15KB/s with average response times often going up to 3000ms. The HDD performance looks terrible on task manager, but it loads and runs games just fine. Normally this...
  3. Atrocious Windows Update failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Atrocious Windows Update failure: My Win10 system just updated on 19 June 2021. It is still Win 10.I usually maintain very few actual files on my desktop, having shortcuts instead. But sometimes there are the true files with no copies elsewhere. A windows feature update just completed and when Windows booted...
  4. Performance and HDD at 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Performance and HDD at 100%: So lately my PCs performance has been absolute garbage. I noticed it rarely uses more than half (4gb) of the RAM but always has the HDD at 100% usage. I searched around and was told that 1tb of hdd was fine however I only have 1gb of memory in the HDD. Are those 2 different...
  5. Windows 10 Photo App works atrociously slow

Windows 10 Photo App works atrociously slow: Hello, since a long time I'm facing the issue that default Windows 10 photo app works overall slow. It sometimes takes half a minute to open a single image. Once the image opens it works fine but sometimes switching pictures takes long too. I read some posts on the forum but...
  6. Windows 10 poor hdd and ssd performance after win7 upgrade

Windows 10 poor hdd and ssd performance after win7 upgrade: Anyone knows whats the issue?? My win10 pc must be restarted after some time all the time because the secondary HDD and system SSD when in use gets up to 100% and high avg. response time which slows the system down. After a restart everything's good for a while. I didn't had...
  7. Windows 10 slow hdd performance after win7 upgrade

Windows 10 slow hdd performance after win7 upgrade: Anyone knows whats the issue?? My win10 pc must be restarted after some time all the time because my non-system secondary HDD gets up to 100% and very high avg. response time which bogs the whole system down, even though the windows is instaled on an ssd. After a restart...
  8. Windows 10 performed an auto update and wiped my HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 performed an auto update and wiped my HDD: I shut down my computer a few days ago and went to bed. The next morning the computer sat on the windows logo with rotating dots on startup for an hour. I shut it down, cleared cmos, reverted bios to default, and tried again. The same thing happened. I tried again and it said...
  9. Guest Performance Question (HDD)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Guest Performance Question (HDD): I'm in the process of building an ESXi setup at home. I will list the specs at the bottom, but my main question comes down to VM performance when running from a spinner HDD. ESXi is running from a 16 USB flash drive. I have an old 64 GB SSD for storing .iso files. Now, the...
  10. Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD: I have C: for OS, D: for my documents. I use for game dev, mostly using Phoshop, Unity Which one of the follow options have better performance? 2 HDD (1 for OS, 1 for documents) 1 HDD 2 Partitions (1 for OS, 1 for documents) 62047

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 bad hdd performance