Windows 10: Windows 10 Audio Issues (MME or WASAPI or DirectSound)

Discus and support Windows 10 Audio Issues (MME or WASAPI or DirectSound) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 1903, the problem appeared after installing update KB4507453 The Windows Audio service wouldn't start, I solved the problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rogezz, Aug 14, 2019.

1. rogezz Win User

Windows 10 Audio Issues (MME or WASAPI or DirectSound)

I'm running Windows 10 1903, the problem appeared after installing update KB4507453

• The Windows Audio service wouldn't start, I solved the problem by changing the "log on as:" from user to local system account. Windows reports no error anymore but no sound coming out of my speakers (SPDIF)

• The problem is not driver related, I reinstalled the drivers, downgraded to an older version and upgraded to the newest WHQL drivers, Windows reported no errors.

• I tested my audio with Adobe Audition where audio is played by the [ASIO] library instead of the Windows [MME] system, the audio works perfect!

• I installed the ASIO4all plugin in Winamp and also here audio plays perfectly.

• So the problem lies on the Windows MME or WASAPI system (don't know what is actually used by Windows programs), in Audition the MME system reports: "The default output device is not responding and may be disconnected..."

• In the Windows Sound configuration applet the in- and output devices appear as usual but no sound is detected in the microphone or no sound is outputted in the playback device when I play audio trough a DirectSound output (a normal Windows program).

• When I try to play a test tone in the Advanced tab of the Windows Sound configuration applet I get an error dialog that says: "Failed to play test tone".

• I tried uninstalling the update that caused the problem but without result. Reinstalling it also gave no result.

• My previous Windows Image is from one month ago so I would prefer to solve the problem instead of reverting to the one month old image.

Are there any things I can do to investigate or solve my problem? Reinstalling Windows is no option for me as my Windows is highly customised in many many years.

:)

rogezz, Aug 14, 2019

2. Win 10 1803 changes to WASAPI and WDM-KS?

Hello. I'm one of the developers for Performous (an opensource cross-platform karaoke game). For years now we've relied on PortAudio to handle audio output and input on Windows, Mac, and several flavors of Linux.

On Windows, we default to WASAPI but give the user a choice between MME, DirectSound, WDM-KS and WASAPI. Recently, it's been brought to our attention that WDM-KS and WASAPI are broken. PortAudio is failing with an "invalid number of channels" error when
    trying to open an output device using either of those backends (note, this is OUTPUT, so it is not the microphone access issue)

I have done a cross-over test between the latest stable portaudio release (which is quite old) and the latest git master, as well as tried different versions of our software (newer builds v/s older ones known to work) on Windows 8 and Windows 10 1803. So
    far the result is the same for every combination. Windows 10 1803 fails with the aforementioned error while other versions of Windows work fine.

So... what I wanted to know is whether there had been changes to these two audio APIs that have caused them to stop working and if so, whether these changes have been documented anywhere so whoever (either us or the portaudio developers) can begin looking
    for a fix, or even if nothing changed in these APIs and this result is the result of a bug in this Windows release.

Gregorio Litenstein, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Cortana issue with WASAPI

Hi everyone, it's my first hours of using Cortana when I found it don't work with WASAPI.

Issue: When the audio device is being used exclusively, Cortana cannot open any apps.

In my case, I used MPC-HC with reclock using WASAPI exclusive output. I told Cortana to open "This PC" for me, but it stuck on the screen with Staring XXX and those little balls keep flying under the icon. I can click on the icon and the program is opened,
    but this isn't what I wanted.

I understand Cortana cannot respond vocally, but shouldn't she continue the command even audio device is being used? It there any fix for this? (Don't tell me to give up WASAPI Windows 10 Audio Issues (MME or WASAPI or DirectSound) :) )

benny10033, Aug 14, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Audio Issues (MME or WASAPI or DirectSound)

WASAPI can't see audio input of generic USB audio device

I have a very old Roland audio interface (UA1-EX) which I have to use in its generic USB audio mode because it is no longer supported by Roland. I have been able to get it working using ASIO4ALL and record from its audio input, albeit very poorly. So I decided to try using it with WASAPI. However in my DAW's audio device controls, the mic input of the interface is not listed, even though its ouput is. Why would the input of a generic USB audio device not be available in WASAPI?

ricecrispies, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Audio Issues (MME or WASAPI or DirectSound)

1. Windows 10 Audio Issues (MME or WASAPI or DirectSound) - Similar Threads - Audio Issues MME

2. Audio not recorded in Snipping tool. WASAPI error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio not recorded in Snipping tool. WASAPI error: Recently when recording screen and output audio using Snipping tool, at the end I get a sign saying "Problems with recording audio. If an open app is using WASAPI exclusive mode, change it to shared mode" and the recording doesn't come up with audio.The strange thing is that...
  3. Audio not recorded in Snipping tool. WASAPI error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio not recorded in Snipping tool. WASAPI error: Recently when recording screen and output audio using Snipping tool, at the end I get a sign saying "Problems with recording audio. If an open app is using WASAPI exclusive mode, change it to shared mode" and the recording doesn't come up with audio.The strange thing is that...
  4. Could not Initialize DirectSound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not Initialize DirectSound: Hello!! I recently got a nice DAC and amp stack and plugged it in. I then went to play an old game that runs off of Direct X and it said," Could not initialize DirectSound. Please be sure a sound card is installed and all drivers are up to date." So I updated its firmware and...
  5. Could not Initialize DirectSound

Could not Initialize DirectSound: Hello!! I recently got a nice DAC and amp stack and plugged it in. I then went to play an old game that runs off of Direct X and it said," Could not initialize DirectSound. Please be sure a sound card is installed and all drivers are up to date." So I updated its firmware and...
  6. WASAPI, Delays on m_AudioClient->Start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WASAPI, Delays on m_AudioClient->Start: The app captures sound from a microphone using WASAPI.This code initializes m_AudioClient that is of type IAudioClient*.const LONG CAPTURE_CLIENT_LATENCY = 50 * 10000;DWORD loopFlag = m_IsLoopback ? AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_LOOPBACK : 0;hr =...
  7. WASAPI, Delays on m_AudioClient->Start

WASAPI, Delays on m_AudioClient->Start: The app captures sound from a microphone using WASAPI.This code initializes m_AudioClient that is of type IAudioClient*.const LONG CAPTURE_CLIENT_LATENCY = 50 * 10000;DWORD loopFlag = m_IsLoopback ? AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_LOOPBACK : 0;hr =...
  8. Is it possible to change settings of DirectSound?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change settings of DirectSound?: I want to change the Hardware Acceleration settings of DirectSound. On Windows XP, there's a audio tab and a slide to modify it, but I can't found anything on Windows 10. Here's a site explaining better than me:...
  9. WASAPI can't see audio input of generic USB audio device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WASAPI can't see audio input of generic USB audio device: I have a very old Roland audio interface (UA1-EX) which I have to use in its generic USB audio mode because it is no longer supported by Roland. I have been able to get it working using ASIO4ALL and record from its audio input, albeit very poorly. So I decided to try using it...
  10. WASAPI Exclusive Mode Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WASAPI Exclusive Mode Not Working: Coming here as a last resort before I format and reinstall Win 10... I have a GTX680 which is connected to my Yamaha RX-V681 receiver, up until now I had it set up with PotPlayer and with DTS Passthrough enabled in the player. Today I did a fresh reinstall of PotPlayer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. audacity mme vs directsound windows 10

2. mme windows direct sound windows wasapi

3. mme windows

4. windows 10 waspi microphone fix,
  5. directsound windows 10,
  6. mme direct or asio,
  7. mme vs directsound vs asio,
  8. win10 1909 wasapi,
  9. portaudio wasapi vs wdm-ks vs mme vs directsound,
  10. MME Directsound,
  11. plantronics mme wasapi,