Windows 10: Windows 10: Audio Service Not Running in Google Chrome / Movie Studio

Discus and support Windows 10: Audio Service Not Running in Google Chrome / Movie Studio in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone! Firstly, thank you so much for reading this thread. I've been tearing my hair out all day regarding this problem, and while I feel I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by get2sammyb, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Windows 10: Audio Service Not Running in Google Chrome / Movie Studio

Hi everyone!

Firstly, thank you so much for reading this thread. I've been tearing my hair out all day regarding this problem, and while I feel I've made some progress in isolating the issue, I have no idea how to solve it.

I have a Dell XPS 8900 which I'm very happy with. I had a bum HDD which needed to be changed about six months ago, but since then it's been plain-sailing.

Well, until this morning.

The problem

My computer was operating as usual last night, and I made no changes to the settings nor did I install any new software. However, when I loaded it up this morning I noticed that I couldn't hear audio on YouTube videos in Google Chrome. Where the speaker is in the system tray, I noticed it said 'The Audio Service is Not Running'.

Windows 10: Audio Service Not Running in Google Chrome / Movie Studio [​IMG]

The same thing occurs when trying to load a video project in Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.0, which I use for work.

Clicking on the speaker brings up a Windows 10 troubleshooting protocol, which fixes the problem.

However, if I attempt to load a YouTube video in Google Chrome or boot up Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.0, I get no sound and the system tray tells me that 'The Audio Service Is Not Running' again.

I can play video clips and music files using the standard Windows 10 'Films & TV' or 'Groove Music' apps and both work as normal. I can also play music in iTunes as usual.

What I've tried so far

Like I say, I've been messing with this all day, and have tried a number of solutions:

• I reset Windows 10 and re-installed both Google Chrome and Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.0. It didn't work.
    • I uninstalled the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and re-installed the latest version of the driver for my computer from Dell's website. It didn't work.
    • I ran Dell's diagnostics tool on my soundcard, which it passed.
    • I've tried various other things like running 'services.msc' and checking the Windows Audio Properties are running and set to 'Automatic' startup type.

I'm honestly stumped. This is now way out of my league and I'm begging for your help. If you have any suggestions at all, I'd really appreciate it because I'm about to lose my mind.

Thank you so much!

:)

get2sammyb, Feb 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 and movies online

Why after the windows 10 upgrade is Google Chrome the only thing I can watch movies on?

BulldogGrant, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Casting from MS Edge and Windows 10 to Chromecast or Samsung Smart TV

Running Google Chrome to cast it's output to Chromecast works as well as it did in earlier versions of Windows. Windows 10 should improve on this.

I expected Windows 10 would enable us to
    cast any audio (iTunes, MS Store, Spotify, Pandora, etc.)
    or visual (still or video) like YouTube, Hulu, SnagFilms, iTunes movies or tv, HBO GO, MAX GO, MS Movies & TV, MS Photos, Windows Live Moviemaker, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Media Player,
    Adobe Lightroom, Windows Photo Viewer, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix etc.)

Using a cable TV remote, or a TV remote (even Samsung's with touchpad)
    is far inferior to using the full capabilities of a laptop to find and cast audio and video from the Internet thru the laptop to a high-quality high-definition TV. This ability should be provided by Windows as a service to any/all A/V sources
    and applications compatible with Windows.

Cheers

RMiles2002, Feb 2, 2017
  4. Windows 10: Audio Service Not Running in Google Chrome / Movie Studio

Welcome to the Tenforums @get2sammyb

First I would check the Windows update history. See if any new drivers were installed by Windows in last couple of weeks or if any updates are failing.

If nothing I would fire up Chrome again, start a video, and I would right click on speaker and open Volume mixer. Chrome should have its own column. Can you adjust volume?

My new fix for everything, do a complete shutdown of Windows by holding shift down and clicking shutdown. This opens a fresh copy of Windows, no Fast Startup Hiberfil.sys.

Can you do a system restore to an earlier time?

Before doing this do you run any Imaging software and can you create a "today" version, just in case. If you don't do Imaging I would recommend Macrium Reflect. There is a tutorial in the forum. Its free, reliable and quick way to get back to a working system.

Others may have other ideas as to resolution.

Caledon Ken, Feb 2, 2017
  5. Thanks so much for the response.

I checked Windows Update History and didn't really see anything relevant to audio:

I tried bringing up the Volume Mixer and it automatically went to 'Audio Services Are Not Running'. This is what dialog box I got:

I tried a Shift + Shutdown but it didn't fix the problem.

I'll look into Macrium Reflect, but I haven't made any computer backups and did reset Windows 10 today, so not sure whether that will work.

Thanks in again everyone!

get2sammyb, Feb 2, 2017
  6. Well something is going on with updates. That one failed twice and I don't see a success and the other is awaiting a restart. Given you did a complete shutdown it should have installed.

While I agree these are not associated with audio I honestly can't say they don't have some hook(s), it does contain reliability improvements for Groove, App-V, video playback and remote desktop. Here is the link to contents.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009938

Lets get these updates in, rebooted and see if things change.

Windows Updates

Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top. Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click. Window opens, click on “advance”, click on Run as administrator, click “Next”. Should run clean. If not run again.

Then go to updates and "Check for Updates"

If you want, once the updater trouble shooter shows clean you can go to the Update Catalog and download the update KB3213986. Its about 1GB. To install you enter these two commands at command prompt(admin), then double click on the file you downloaded. Reboot once complete.

Net stop wuauserv
    Net stop bits

After reboot go back to updates and check again. This should download any of the remaining smaller ones.

Of course you can allow Windows to take care of all of this for you. I just find the download and install faster on the big ones.

Caledon Ken, Feb 2, 2017
  7. When I came upon this problem what I did was
    Clicked on the space which then showed it set to 100%
    I took it back to 0% then slide the slider back up to 100% and the icon appeared and audio came back
    Hope that helps

hTconeM9user, Feb 3, 2017
  8. Windows 10: Audio Service Not Running in Google Chrome / Movie Studio

Thanks for the responses everyone. I really do appreciate it, so thank you.

I did another clean Windows reset this evening which appears to have fixed all of my problems. I installed Dell's most recent audio drivers, and YouTube videos and Sony Movie Studio Platinum are both working as I want them to.

The only thing I noticed is that upon installing the most recent Windows Updates, I'm no longer able to open Device Manager. I can confirm that the latest Windows Update caused this, because I did everything in steps, and had access to Device Manager prior to installing the latest Windows Update.

A bit of a weird one, but I'm going to cross my fingers it'll correct itself.

Here's what happens when I open try to open Device Manager:

And here's confirmation that the Windows Updates installed properly:

A bit of a weird one, but I'm just happy I've got my sound back to be honest. I've never used Device Manager prior today and I hope I'll never have to again, though if anyone does have any suggestions for the above error, I'll look into it.

Must admit, I'm a bit scared about breaking something else right now though.

Thanks all for your help!

get2sammyb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10: Audio Service Not Running in Google Chrome / Movie Studio

1. Windows 10: Audio Service Not Running in Google Chrome / Movie Studio - Similar Threads - Audio Service Running

2. Windows 10 Audio Services not Responding, both Audio Services running.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Audio Services not Responding, both Audio Services running.: My DELL computer now has the "Audio Services Not Responding" Bug and the "No Speakers or Headphones connected" bug but it still recognizes the Speakers and the Headphones.I have tried checking both the Windows Audio Service and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and both of them...
  3. Unable to run Google Chrome on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to run Google Chrome on Windows 10: I've noticed that whenever I try and use Chrome, it will work for a couple minutes then shut down. Whenever I try and open it again, it will open a black box for a second and crash. This has been going on for months. I've resorted to using Microsoft Edge, but I'd much prefer...
  4. Audio service not running

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio service not running: Hi, Since the last two days, my Audio service has stopped. My sound card is working fine, and I have tried the following actions, but they have failed: Tried uninstalling, re-installing and rolling back my audio drivers. Tried to update my audio drivers to the latest...
  5. Google chrome audio problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Google chrome audio problem: Hello, Well my problem is that whenever I play any type of audio in google chrome there is no audio output as if the device was muted but it's not. On the other hand, there is audio output when I play media on the explorer. My study field requires working with chrome the...
  6. Audio Service not running Windows 10

Audio Service not running Windows 10: I have followed the instructions for disabling both the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Windows Audio. Then, setting both back to automatic and I get this error message: "Windows could not start Windows Audio services on local computer" "Error 0x80070005: Access is...
  7. Can't run Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't run Google Chrome: Whenever I double-click on my Google Chrome shortcut, the blue loading symbol appears to flicker for a second, then disappear. Google Chrome does not run any more. This problem occurred after the new Microsoft update. I tried adding "-no-sandbox" to the target in the...
  8. google chrome 64 beta and windows 10 audio

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    google chrome 64 beta and windows 10 audio: if i am watching something for example YouTube it plays first video fine but subsequent videos lose audio, have to close and restart chrome. it's fine on non beta chrome so not sure if a windows or chrome beta issue. how to know??...
  9. Audio Service not running Windows 10

Audio Service not running Windows 10: My Audio Services keep failing to start up. I'm unable to restart the Windows Audio End point builder. It also gives me the message "Windows could not stop the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service on Local Computer. Error 1061: The service cannot accept control messages...
  10. no audio in google chrome

in Browsers and Email
    no audio in google chrome: hi, im new to this forum so sorry if i make any mistake. my sound from google chrom just aint working. i have tried these steps resetting chrome reinstalling chrome reinstalling drivers restarting my machine checked if it was not muted checked with a youtube video if...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows audio та windows audio end point builder.