Windows 10: Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade

Discus and support Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I hope you are right. while searching for possible RAM upgrade i read some people saying a BIOS update may be required to make 16GB or even 8GB RAM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mmTalish33, Sep 29, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade

XPS 15 (L502x) with i7-2860QM - 16GB RAM supported? - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Seems. that your PC/Laptop can support 16Gb but it might require a BISO update. I think that the latest BIOS should work with 16Gb but check your BIOS vs the latest one available to determine if you need to perform and upgrade.

EDIT: From what it says in the link you'll need to do an upgrade to the BIOS to go over 4Gb of RAM.

So,, you may have to reactivate Win10 after that update.

BunnyJ, Sep 29, 2015

2. there is BIOS update available for my laptop. if i update it and nothing goes wrong. you said i have to reactivate Win10 after that update. can you please explain this procedure. Currently i reverted back to Win 7 just for RAM upgrade

mmTalish33, Sep 29, 2015
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    First I would do the upgrade to the new BIOS.. and if nothing goes wrong then try doing a clean instillation of 10. At that point you may have to call MS to get the OS activated.. I'm not sure how that's done but there are instructions in the forum,.

At that point when the new BIOS is working with an activated 10 then you can get the new RAM. But honestly.. I only have 8GB and my PC runs as fast as it's going to. More RAM is nice but do you need more than 4GB??

Jeff

BunnyJ, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

But the claim that he would have the problem itself only is a claim as well. So i you don't know, if you should believe a person's claims, then you should not start beliebing her just because she makes yet another claim. After all it is coming from the person whom you don't know whether you believe her.

Anyway, the question whether more RAM would improve performance also depends on what is done with the PC. If you mainly use the browser and write a few emails or Word documents, then more than 4 GB won't help. If you in contrast play games or do video editing and stuff like that, then more RAM is nearly always better.

Joergi, Sep 29, 2015
  5. i usually play games and HD media. all new games are requiring more RAM. recently i tried playing Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare and Far Cry 4. All of them are lagging. Thats the reason of RAM upgrade. and it seems i have to sacrifice Win 10 for RAM upgrade.

mmTalish33, Sep 29, 2015
  6. Joergi Win User
    Sounds reasonable.
    Does not sound reasonable. First we don't know, if activation would be a problem at all. Chances are not too bad, that it will just continue working. Should it be a problem, then I would doubt that you would no longer get Windows activated. There even have been reports of users, who has their PC "repair replaced" by a ... replacement. In fact they just used a completely different PC. They called Microsoft and they activated even this "replacement", so getting a PC activated, which basically stayed the same, should not be a problem. If it was me, I would just try the BIOS update.

Joergi, Sep 29, 2015
  7. just talked to MS Tech representative on chat desk page the name was Payal S
    he/she told me that i can do any update/upgrade to my laptop RAM/BIOS while on properly activated windows 7 and then use the usual way to update win 7 till win 10 and i'll get win 10 for free again. He/she also gave me a case number to use it if i need more guidance in future regarding this issue.
    don't know how much truth is this!

mmTalish33, Sep 29, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Sounds logical to me.

BunnyJ, Sep 29, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    That will always be an option until July 28th, 2016.

NavyLCDR, Sep 29, 2015
  10. i have dispatched my laptop for RAM upgrade. it'll take some days to find compatible RAM here. I'll post as soon as i get response.
    till then i request mods not mark this thread as "Solved"

mmTalish33, Sep 29, 2015
  11. TheLiger Win User
    I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 via the app, a day or 2 after the upgrade I updated the BIOS and then removed the factory installed memory and installed my own 16GB. A few days after this I installed a new SSD and secondary 2TB HDD and carried out a clean install of Windows 10, none of these upgrades etc have posed any issues with the Windows 10 activation.

TheLiger, Oct 5, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    All data for MB is kept in the BIOS chip (sometimes there's two of them), I have upgraded hundreds of BIOSes in my life time and only time any significant change in lieu of serial number etc. was when BIOS had to be changed either physically (the chip) or be written from very beginning because of fudlled up BIOS update.
    Even UEFI is based on a physical chip although even UEFI can be changed when available/required and shouldn't change anything that would affect windows activation.
    Due caution required of course because when you know what hits the fan anything goes even complete bricking is possible.

CountMike, Oct 5, 2015
  13. Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade

guys received my laptop with RAM Upgrade.
    I got Transcend 8GBx2 DDR3L 1600Mhz TS1GSK64W6H and without upgrading BIOS.
    I went for Win 10 fresh install in hope that it might get activate instead of trying long upgrade procedure. and it worked my Win 10 if fully activated*Smile*Biggrin

Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade [​IMG]

Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade [​IMG]

Thank you all for your guidance

mmTalish33, Oct 16, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    Why did you think it wouldn't since you didn't change MB ?

CountMike, Oct 16, 2015
  15. because i wasn't sure about RAM upgrade effect on Win 10

mmTalish33, Oct 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Auto Activation after RAM Upgrade - Similar Threads - Auto Activation RAM

2. windows 10 not activated after upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 not activated after upgrade: I recently installed Windows 10 on my surface pro 3. The device had been sitting in a drawer since 2015, thought I could make use of it again. I upgraded the OS from windows 8.1 pro, as I much prefer Windows 10. It is now telling me my OS is not activated. Are you able to...
  3. windows 10 not activated after upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 not activated after upgrade: I recently installed Windows 10 on my surface pro 3. The device had been sitting in a drawer since 2015, thought I could make use of it again. I upgraded the OS from windows 8.1 pro, as I much prefer Windows 10. It is now telling me my OS is not activated. Are you able to...
  4. windows 10 not activated after upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM: i recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM and processor.after logging in and updating my drivers my windows started saying "activate windows"after going to the activation page and logging in.the activation wizard fails and then says contact support.i was on windows 10 before...
  6. cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant activate windows after upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM: i recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM and processor.after logging in and updating my drivers my windows started saying "activate windows"after going to the activation page and logging in.the activation wizard fails and then says contact support.i was on windows 10 before...
  7. WIndows 10 activation after upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows 10 activation after upgrade: I have an older dell computer that had windows 8.1. When upgrading from 8.1 to 10 the upgrade would fail when almost finished every time I tried. I got it to install by reformatting the drive and installing windows 10, however when it is installed now, it is not activated....
  8. activate ram upgrade

activate ram upgrade: I just installed an additional 4GB on my Inspiron 570..How do I ensure windows 10 is using it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activate-ram-upgrade/f0820db4-10b9-49bd-a65c-a3a5e3c1395a
  9. Windows 10 Activation after upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation after upgrade: Hey so I bought a copy of Windows 10 as well as some upgrades to my computer during Black Friday weekend. I changed my OS from Windows 7 to 10 and after that was all set I swapped my hardware. Now I'm being told that my product key is being used on another device and I can't...
  10. Cant activate windows 10 pro after upgrading MB, CPU, and Ram

Cant activate windows 10 pro after upgrading MB, CPU, and Ram: Hey everyone I recently upgraded my MB, CPU, and Ram and now cant activate windows 10 pro I had Windows 10 home (Have the product key and USB) and upgraded to windows 10 pro through the "Settings" in windows 10, I dont have a product key from when i ungraded to windows...