Windows 10: Windows 10 Auto-Installing Apps

Discus and support Windows 10 Auto-Installing Apps in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; A few days ago, I signed into Windows 10, and upon conclusion of the boot, noticed that there was less space on my hard drive than normal. I always... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by PsychoticSwag95, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Auto-Installing Apps

A few days ago, I signed into Windows 10, and upon conclusion of the boot, noticed that there was less space on my hard drive than normal. I always check this upon startup, just in case something unwanted has managed to make it through my firewalls and nest in my PC. I figured it might have been an update to Windows, but noted that I hadn't seen any "Updating Windows" screens during the boot sequence. So I pulled up Event Viewer, and found a good number of things being downloaded, none of which I wanted. Candy Crush, Witch Saga, Minecraft, etc. Upon further investigation, I found they were coming from the Microsoft Store, which I have never once used. Ever. I get my software from third-party sources. So, for the first time, I opened the application, browsed through the settings, and found only these settings:

- Update apps automatically (I switched this off)

- Show products on tile (The start menu tiles ; This setting was also promptly disabled)

- Play videos automatically (Also switched this off)

None of the other following options were valid, as I didn't have a Microsoft account signed in anywhere locally. I have Local Accounts on my PC, and none are linked to my Microsoft Account in any way, shape or form. After this minor nuisance, I uninstalled the unwanted software, and went about my business, but made a note to keep an eye on my drive, because Microsoft has done things like this in the past. Cortana being my prime reference here. Cortana, something else I don't want and never will, is so thoroughly implanted through the process trees and various registries that removing all of its keys and components would render the system inoperable. Microsoft has done something similar with Internet Explorer when Netscape sued them, and they integrated IE into Windows so they could claim that it was "part of the Operating System". However, you could then do very, very little without going through Internet Explorer, which was a pain in the neck. I'm getting off topic. Moving on..

A day or two later, I booted up my PC again, and lo and behold, right I was to keep an eye on things. The programs were not installed, but upon looking in Event Viewer, they WERE downloaded again. Upon opening the Store, I found them in the "Waiting to Be Installed" tab under Games and Software. I do not want these programs, nor will I ever want these programs, and while each is only between 10-150 MBs this adds up quickly, with almost 20 programs occupying space I don't want taken. I do have 850GB of free space on my drives, however, I intend to use this space for dual-booting Linux, Windows 10, and Ubuntu Server for a home server network. I do NOT want Microsoft Store to steal space, because I need every last bit if I'm going to have three separate OS's on my drives.

Does Microsoft intend to return to helping its users, or is this just another "Innovative Feature" created by Microsoft, which affects the unwary and unaware users who don't notice these things? The series of "Features" that have failed or been detrimental is growing. Windows Vista was a catastrophic failure full of bugs, glitches, sluggish operation, poorly implemented requirements, and a disturbing variety of Editions that has been going on for a while. Windows 7 had so many Editions that some people couldn't figure out what to get, and when they got the wrong one, oh well. The last three OS's with Home Edition have been missing the secpol.msc service, and for those who don't know what that is, it's a Microsoft Service Console that allows for customizing of Security Policies which is very, very useful for homegroups, home servers, and PC's with multiple outgoing and incoming connections, including Remote Desktop. You would have to buy Premium, Ultimate, Enterprise, or Professional to get those features. The difference between each Edition was the services you had included, or if you prefer to think of it in a more negative way, the services kept from you. I've used every edition of Windows from Windows 95, I've used DOS (which was actually amazing, and GDISK which is based off of DOS is a miracle worker for a computer technician when you have to format and partition multiple PC's in a workplace). Sadly, the quality of Windows is slowly dropping at a steady pace. Is there any chance of a bounceback, or is Microsoft determined to keep this up?

So, my final question for Microsoft is: Is there any way to possibly disable the automatic download of these unwanted apps, or am I going to have to simply not use Windows? There are some "fixes" that involve going into the registry and creating your own keys, but while I'm a competent user with fairly extensive knowledge, not every Windows user is, and a proper fix that can be accessed by normal, untrained users. A simple, understandable solution would be very beneficial to the users.

In hopes of avoiding the constant copy/paste responses of disinterested Microsoft employees and moderators, I'll address some of the most common points I've seen.

Yes, I've disabled automatic updates. No, I do not have a Microsoft account attached to the store. Yes, I have edited the Windows Registry as suggested in another thread. No, that clearly didn't help, otherwise I wouldn't be posting.

:)

PsychoticSwag95, Dec 7, 2018
  2. Cvrk Win User

Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

I have a Lumia 920 mobile phone.
    Found a list on the net with compatible phones that support Win 10. Mine is on that list.
    Can't upgrade with the usual way.
    Found help on this official website of developers for Windows Phones. It's a step by step no brainer thing. Most people are doing it. Except me. I can't get past point 6. http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/general/howto-install-windows-10-phones-t3030105

"6.Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port "

7. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app

No idea what this means.I guess i need to access the router and modify some settings in there. Some guy on the forum told me " think he means to use the local IP address of the pc. Go to cmd and type ipconfig and look for ipv4 address. Should be somethin like 192/......"

I did connect my phone as always via wi-fi to my router. But i have no ideea how to use that proxy or how to make my phone have the same Ip as computer. I did start WPInsiderHacks app on pc. This is what it looks like

Windows 10 Auto-Installing Apps [​IMG]

Theres also this official http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/341531-windows-10-preview-nokia-lumia-920-a.html
    It says this :
    1. Download the Windows Insider app.
    Press ... > about > make sure Sys free space is 300MB or more.
    If there isn't enough space, make full reset with Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777

Download and install certificate.
    3. Edit WiFi connection, enable Proxy

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn

4. Open Insider app, click get builds
    5. You will get Enroll page, do not Enroll yet!
    6. Switch to WIFI settings, turn off proxy.
    7. Switch to Windows Insider app and now you can enroll for Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    Choose Fast option.
    8. Check Settings > Phone update.
    If it can't find updates, you may need to reboot your phone and enroll again (without a proxy now).

Same thing with the proxy. Anyways the more detailed steps on the DEV forum are much better i think .Cuz they put out more info on how to do it.

Can anybody help me with step 6 ?

Cvrk, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Windows 10 installing progs

I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to windows 10 from 7. I used the Media Creation Tool from MS website. It took awhile, but I am finally running Windows 10 (12-14).

I opened the new App & Program feature to remove programs that I no longer needed. Scrolling down the list, I was horrified! Apps that I didn't install somehow magically installed themselves. Two programs stood out: Facebook and Candy Crush Soda Saga. Both programs have those tale-tale icons that they came from Windows Store (which I've never even opened). The install date for both of them were on 12-26.

Is this a common thing for Windows 10? Or is it because I did an upgrade and not a clean install?

GoFigureItOut, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Auto-Installing Apps

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Auto-Installing Apps

1. Windows 10 Auto-Installing Apps - Similar Threads - Auto Installing Apps

2. There is an explanation for the HP Smart app Windows auto-installation issue

in Windows 10 News
    There is an explanation for the HP Smart app Windows auto-installation issue: The unwanted installation of Hewlett Packard's printer software HP Smart on Windows 10 and 11 devices caused confusion in the past couple of days. Windows users, even those without HP printers or other HP devices, started to notice the installation of the HP Smart software on...
  3. Microsoft is reportedly auto-installing the HP Smart app on Windows 10 and 11 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is reportedly auto-installing the HP Smart app on Windows 10 and 11 PCs: Windows 10 and 11 ship with several apps that you may not want. One more app has reportedly joined the list of bloatware, the HP Smart app. A report by Windows Latest says that they noticed a new app called HP Smart had been added to the Start Menu on their Windows 10...
  4. Window 10 auto updates not installing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 10 auto updates not installing.: I've been running Windows 10 for the last ten years, updating regularly but in the past 6 months I'm getting the usual prompt where updates start/download/install/restarts but then message saying updates couldn't be installed and then proceeds to uninstall and restart which...
  5. Window 10 auto updates not installing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 10 auto updates not installing.: I've been running Windows 10 for the last ten years, updating regularly but in the past 6 months I'm getting the usual prompt where updates start/download/install/restarts but then message saying updates couldn't be installed and then proceeds to uninstall and restart which...
  6. Window 10 auto updates not installing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 10 Xbox App Auto Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Xbox App Auto Login: I run a LAN center and kids want to sign in using the Xbox app since they have Xbox Game Pass, but when they go to sign out it will save their credentials and automatically log whoever uses it next back into the previous users account with no password prompt. Is there a...
  8. windows 10 forcefully auto installs apps without direct permission from the administrator...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows 10 forcefully auto installs apps without direct permission from the administrator...: this behavior alone makes the entire O.S a virus its self... i always uninstall ,then the next time i boot windows re-adds the apps...no matter which account i use built in which has the highest level of authorization...but even my standard admin account does very little...
  9. Spotify App auto change to windows app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Spotify App auto change to windows app: I downloaded the spotify app onto my laptop from the web. When I restarted my computer and opened it, it said "migrating spotify data" and then it turned into Spotify AB which is the windows app. Is that normal? Is one version better than the other or does it automatically...
  10. Auto Install

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Auto Install: I just purchase an online game and it wants to auto install to the Xbox. We have 2 Xbox systems and it won't allow me to select the proper console to install on. It's grayed out so it cannot be selected. How do I select that device?...