Windows 10: Windows 10 Auto Snap - Window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that...

Discus and support Windows 10 Auto Snap - Window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I only just found the fix for this without closing and reopening the program, (I'll post it below), but now I'm curious, confused, and angry as to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RobBurns1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. RobBurns1 Win User

Windows 10 Auto Snap - Window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that...

So I only just found the fix for this without closing and reopening the program, (I'll post it below), but now I'm curious, confused, and angry as to why it happens.

So I'm on my laptop and I have a second screen plugged in via HDMI. I mostly see the problem with ZOOM, but the problem always happens on minimize and that's the app that gets minimized the most. It happens 2/3 of the time when the program is open when I disconnect the other monitor and 1/3 of the time all on it's own, and again it's not the only app that does it. Tonight it happened with Chrome.

So I have my laptop to the left and it's set to be the second screen, and the big screen to the right for playing games set as the primary, but the computer has decided that there is desktop space beyond the borders of the screen, and it seems to treat the outsides of the screen borders as other borders and it will occasionally auto snap a window to the border OFF SCREEN. It remains active in my taskbar. If I mouse-over, I see the window remaining active (movie continues to play or video chat continues to stream). Audio is unaffected. Clicking on it in the taskbar appears to "open" and "minimize" it again, as though it continues to be fully rendered in the RAM but it's attempting to display it on a screen that just doesn't exist, and it always seems to be off the left side of my laptop screen whether it's set to be the primary or secondary screen. (I always set it back to be the primary screen before unplugging the second screen).

(To pull it back, shift + right click on the window in the task bar, and use the arrow key to force it to move from off screen until you can take over with the mouse. Remember that when you move the mouse it will jump to the mouse location. I panicked and thought I lost it again).

Is windows deliberately creating additional, wasted desktop space that's straining my RAM and GPU? Is there an option somewhere to turn off that extra space? Can we stop snapping widows to desktop space that's not being viewed without completely turning off the auto-snap? I have a workaround now but it's deeply irritating for such an unhelpful thing to be programmed in.

:)

RobBurns1, Jan 2, 2019
  2. quintajl Win User

Window 10 snap feature "auto resize adjacent snapped window" no working

Snap feature is missing "auto resize adjacent snapped window"

quintajl, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Jesinta Rozario, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Auto Snap - Window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that...

WINDOWS 10 SNAP FEATURE!!NOTHING MUCH IS CHANGED

Hi Pranavajay,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about Snap feature in Windows 10.

• Do let us know what exactly are you referring to Snap feature in Windows 10?

I would like to inform that Snap Assist, 2×2 snapping, and vertical snap features help make you more productive on the desktop running Windows 10.

Snap Assist: To snap a desktop window, left-click its window title bar, hold your mouse down, and then drag it to either the left or right edges of your screen.

You can also press Windows Key + Left arrow or Windows Key + Right arrow to snap an app to the left or right halves of your screen.

Vertical Snap: Windows 10 also adds support for vertical window-snapping. Press Windows Key + Up or Windows Key + Down to snap the current app to the top or bottom halves on the screen. Pressing Windows Key + Up a second time will maximize
    the window, while pressing Windows Key +Down a second time will minimize it.

2×2 Snap: Snap has now been extended to allow up to four windows snapped at a time in a 2×2 grid.

If you have any more concerns about the Snap feature in Windows 10 provide your valuable feedback to Microsoft on Feedback app.

Follow the steps below to write a feedback:

1. Type Feedback in the
    Search
    box on the Task bar.

2. Select Windows Feedback.

3. Click on Add new feedback and write your feedback.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Auto Snap - Window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that...

1. Windows 10 Auto Snap - Window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that... - Similar Threads - Auto Snap Window

2. Snap your windows ''snap with a mouse''

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snap your windows ''snap with a mouse'': Hello there, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/snap-your-windows-885a9b1e-a983-a3b1-16cd-c531795e6241#WindowsVersion=Windows_10Snap with a mouse feature in windows 10 is not working. Does anyone know how to fix it? -multitasking snap in in system settings are...
  3. Snap your windows ''snap with a mouse''

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snap your windows ''snap with a mouse'': Hello there, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/snap-your-windows-885a9b1e-a983-a3b1-16cd-c531795e6241#WindowsVersion=Windows_10Snap with a mouse feature in windows 10 is not working. Does anyone know how to fix it? -multitasking snap in in system settings are...
  4. Snap your windows ''snap with a mouse''

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Snap your windows - ''snap with a mouse''

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snap your windows - ''snap with a mouse'': Hello there, I am trying to use the feature described here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/snap-your-windows-885a9b1e-a983-a3b1-16cd-c531795e6241#WindowsVersion=Windows_10 To be more precise I am trying to use ''snap with mouse'' on my windows 10 machine, but...
  6. Snap your windows - ''snap with a mouse''

Snap your windows - ''snap with a mouse'': Hello there, I am trying to use the feature described here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/snap-your-windows-885a9b1e-a983-a3b1-16cd-c531795e6241#WindowsVersion=Windows_10 To be more precise I am trying to use ''snap with mouse'' on my windows 10 machine, but...
  7. Snap your windows - ''snap with a mouse''

8. Windows snapping

Windows snapping: How do I remove the invisible boarders on windows so that windows snapping doesn't leave like 2px gaps when I snap windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-snapping/8099b672-9604-41c8-910f-5b0e9681309e
  9. Remote Desktops Snap-in

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktops Snap-in: Hi, I am a network admin who just upgraded his workstation from Windows 7 to 10. I had a Remote Desktops MMC which had all my servers on it in one place which was one of my main tools. Since I upgraded to Windows 10, when I launch that tool, The MMC says "MMC could not...
  10. desktop icons snap to grid

desktop icons snap to grid: How do I change the setting that causes the desktop icons to snap to grid, so I can place them randomly? I have Windows 10 Home. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-snap-to-grid/272125f9-7cd0-41eb-97ba-c20677f665ac

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 phantom desktop

2. windows 10 windows auto snap

3. window occasionally snaps to a phantom desktop / desktop that doesnt exist microsoft