Windows 10: Windows 10 Automatic File/Folder Backup

Discus and support Windows 10 Automatic File/Folder Backup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been running Windows 10 automatic file/folder backup for quite some time, and it was working fine before the latest massive Windows 10 update. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JerryDVE, Aug 24, 2019.

1. JerryDVE Win User

Windows 10 Automatic File/Folder Backup

I've been running Windows 10 automatic file/folder backup for quite some time, and it was working fine before the latest massive Windows 10 update. My files/folders are directed to be saved every 20 minutes to an external drive connected via a USB port. Now, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that before the Windows 10 update, the app actually did a save every 20 minutes, even if I was in the middle of writing a WORD document and hadn't manually saved and closed it yet. Now, it seems like it's only saving to my external drive 20 minutes after I manually close and save the document. What good is that if my computer crashes while I'm still in the document and haven't manually saved and closed it yet. Everything I've done since the last time I manually saved and closed it won't be saved to the external drive. Is this a change the Windows 10 update made to the automatic file/folder backup? Or is it just my perception that this is how it always worked. I guess I don't understand the point of it if it's not actually saving the work I'm doing as I'm doing it every 20 minutes, but instead waiting until I manually save and close the document. Any explanation of how this is actually supposed to work will be appreciated. Thank you.

:)

JerryDVE, Aug 24, 2019
  2. Sean8 Win User

Automatic backup

I'm trying to setup automatic backup. In windows 7 I have it setup but it doesn't backup everything in that folder it backs up only stuff that was edited which causes confusion. Is there any easier way to automatically backup everything in a single folder to my external hd

Sean8, Aug 24, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 24, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Automatic backup

Forget using the automatic backup thing built into Windows, it sucks in my experience.

Instead use a Robocopy script and use task scheduler to automatically run it every night.

This is the script I use:

Code: robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /B /w:5 /r:5[/quote] Save that to a bat file, then tell task manager to run it every night. That will back up everything in the folder nightly.

Obviously the source is your source directory, and the destination is your destination directory.

If you want to back up multiple directory, you can just keep adding lines to the same bat file and they will all run when it is executed.

So if you wanted to backup your user documents to a folder called Bakcup on the external drive F:, then it would look like:

Code: robocopy "C:\Users\username\My Documents" F:\Backup\ /MIR /B /w:5 /r:5[/quote] And remember, when you are using a path that contains a space, you need to put the quotes around the path, if the path doesn't contain a space then don't put quotes around it.

newtekie1, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Automatic File/Folder Backup - Similar Threads - Automatic File Folder

2. Automatic Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Automatic Folder Backup: DO NOT ENABLE FOLDERS BACKUP TO ONEDRIVE AUTOMATICALLY WHEN INSTALLING WINDOWS 10DO NOT MAKE ANY DECISIONS FOR USER WITHOUT THEIR APPROVALDO NOT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-folder-backup/9d674523-3673-488f-b9e0-8b9b98aa5e67
  3. Automatic Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Folder Backup: DO NOT ENABLE FOLDERS BACKUP TO ONEDRIVE AUTOMATICALLY WHEN INSTALLING WINDOWS 10DO NOT MAKE ANY DECISIONS FOR USER WITHOUT THEIR APPROVALDO NOT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-folder-backup/9d674523-3673-488f-b9e0-8b9b98aa5e67
  4. Automatic Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to automatically backup files & folders on Windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to automatically backup files & folders on Windows 10 computer: [ATTACH]We never know when our hard drive will stop work and we lose our […] This article How to automatically backup files & folders on Windows 10 computer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. backup files/folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    backup files/folders: I need to recover files/folders from backups performed by previous versions of Windows. I presently use Windows 10, and when I click on to select a folder, I get a message that the files/folders are not partitioned etc., and need to be fixed first. On Settings, it shows that...
  7. File and Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File and Folder Backup: Whenever I turn on my computer, I get messages: "file and folder backup missed a scheduled backup," "file and folder backup will start in [x] seconds," then "job cannot run because of invalid destination." How can I disable this whole process, so that I don't get these...
  8. Backup a folder automatically and incrementally

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup a folder automatically and incrementally: Hi, I have a folder, for example: C:\MASTER -> (A) that I want to backup to: D:\MASTER_BACKUP -> (B) I want to do it manually or automatically when I want. "C:\MASTER" must be always untouched by the software, but also the software but compare A and B folder...
  9. Batchfile to automatically backup a folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Batchfile to automatically backup a folder: I have tried several free file/folder backup utilities, with not much success. the most success I had was with backup maker, but although it states free for private use, it still pops,up a nag screen occaisonly, I could accept this better , if I jones in advance, rather...
  10. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10: How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to...