Windows 10: Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes

Discus and support Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; We have seen a bunch of Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loops in the last couple of years and I wanted to share what the possible causes are, especially... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sander_0326, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes

We have seen a bunch of Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loops in the last couple of years and I wanted to share what the possible causes are, especially since these loops happen sporadically and without apparent reason, although it seems to always involve a Windows Update according to the user - which our findings have confirmed. We have tried at least 10 different solutions to fix the repair loop, but unfortunately to no avail. The only way to "fix" this issue is to wipe the hard drive and re-image it. Anyway, I am writing this post with the hopes that Microsoft will look at it and may come up with a solution.

The first definite reason why this happens, is when a Cumulative Update fails to install for whatever reason and the user shuts down their computer, which they would at days end, it will end up in a repair loop at start-up. This has been tested and confirmed by us. The only way to prevent the repair loop is to upgrade the computer to Windows 10 2004 or later - depending on the current version installed before turning it off after the failed installation. However, since the user isn't even aware that the installation has failed – this is only seen when going to the Windows Update Settings screen – it will be very unlikely to prevent the repair loop.

The second reason is very plausible, but not confirmed, as I was too late to restart the computer after taking and saving the screen shot, because by then the installation had finished. However, as you can see in the screen shot, Windows is indicating in the system tray and on the Windows Updates Settings screen that the computer needs a reboot to install updates. Looking at the Windows Update Settings screen you can see that the Cumulative update hasn't finished yet. If a user would click the system tray icon and chooses to "Restart now", it will interrupt the Cumulative update and very likely cause a repair loop. This is once again a scenario where a repair loop is hardly preventable, because users will never check the Windows Update Settings screen to see if there are updates currently installing.

Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes 48edb9c2-7a82-4042-b692-7c6330bc84eb?upload=true.png

:)

Sander_0326, Aug 28, 2020
  2. larry Win User

Automatic Repair Loop Continued Woes

The automatic repair loop might be caused by the following issues:
    • filesystem corruption
    • corrupt MBR or BCD
    • improper registry settings
    This article covers all the possible reasons and solutions:
    Fix Automatic Startup Repair Loop in Windows 10, 8 and 7 | Password Recovery

I hope this helps!

larry, Aug 28, 2020
  3. Automatic Repair Loop

Hi Charlene,

Your concern regarding the device going into an Automatic Repair Loop can be caused by change on its settings/configuration or broken system files. To effectively assist you with your concern, can confirm if you've made any changes on your device prior to
    your concern?

As an initial step to get back into the normal Windows screen, we suggest that you perform a
    Startup repair. The repair will attempt to fix any broken components/files which may prevent your device from booting properly. To do this, follow the steps below:

• On theAutomatic Repair screen, select Advanced options.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Select Advanced options.
    • Select Startup Repair.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Aug 28, 2020
  4. philc43 Win User

Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes

HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED and Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Hello Les,

Have you checked other threads on these forums to see if there are any suggestions you can try.

Here's one to try: Windows 10 preparing automatic repair loop

philc43, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes

1. Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes - Similar Threads - Automatic Repair Loop

2. Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop: Hello:I Installed an ASUS ROG STRIX B550 GAMING motherboard with AMD RYZEN 7 5700G and 32GB memory in my old case with existing HDD's 3 and power supply. My old MB was ASUS Z97-A and Intel i5. I was able to boot Windows 10 but had networking error needs new LAN driver for the...
  3. Window 10 automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window 10 automatic repair loop: I updated my pc into Windows 10 a long time ago but now it is not wor king properly. Due to some problems my battery doesn't work. But the main problem is from yesterday i am not able to open my laptop . When i start my laptop it always shows this screen After that if i press...
  4. What Caused the Automatic Repair Loop?

What Caused the Automatic Repair Loop?: I installed Cyberlink PowerDVD, but I never ran it. That is, until I inserted that Toy Story DVD. If it wasn't running that software that caused the automatic repair loop asking me to select a keyboard layout when I restarted my computer, then it must've been the Toy Story...
  5. Automatic repair loop Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic repair loop Windows 10: My PC is caught in an automatic repair loop. It attempts to boot, fails, diagnoses the problem, attempts to repair and then comes up with an error saying "automatic repair couldn't fix the problem" with the error file (WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt) If I go...
  6. Windows 10 Automatic Repair loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Automatic Repair loop: Hello all I am getting the Wins 10 Automatic repair loop. I have already attempted the two restore points, and reseting the PC. The system begins to reset, then pops up an error of sorts saying unable to reset and no changes were made. A similar message when I tried the...
  7. Windows 10 “automatic repair” loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 “automatic repair” loop: I was thinking about dual booting my Windows 10 machine with Ubuntu, however I couldn’t bring myself to. On my Ubuntu disk (DVD-R, in which I feared it was corrupted so I formatted it, then I was stupid and opened my Ubuntu ISO from 7-Zip, dragged them into my disk and hoped...
  8. Windows 10 automatic repair loop

Windows 10 automatic repair loop: Hi all, Just got a new pc and it booted up fine. I played around with it for a while and then turned it off. The next day I went to turn it on and its now stuck saying, automatic repair tool could not repair your pc. If tried different things in command prompt, changed...
  9. Computer in automatic repair loop - aswElam.sys is cause

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer in automatic repair loop - aswElam.sys is cause: This has just started happening a few hours ago, after I restarted my computer. Trying to restart does not work, nor does Startup Repair. It just continues to loop, it doesn’t boot into Windows at all. Srttrail.txt (after a startup repair) lists: “Boot critical file...
  10. Windows 10 Automatic Repair loop

Windows 10 Automatic Repair loop: Hello, recently I opened my computer to numerous things popping up, but the Automatic Repair screen is still there. Whenever I try to do anything like restarting, resetting, or shutting it down, it’ll open the Automatic Repair screen again. Also on system image recovery it...