Windows 10: Windows 10 Automatic Updates && Not being able to disable them permanently

Discus and support Windows 10 Automatic Updates && Not being able to disable them permanently in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft, Lets get one thing straight. ***I*** own my computer and ****I**** decide what it does or does not do. I am beyond sick of having your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Githion, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Githion Win User

Windows 10 Automatic Updates && Not being able to disable them permanently

Hi Microsoft,

Lets get one thing straight. ***I*** own my computer and ****I**** decide what it does or does not do. I am beyond sick of having your fingers in my operating system telling me I *HAVE* to update windows. I've seen many people write similar posts about this and your "sympathetic" agents always condescendingly tell people "Oh its for your own good, its updates and features and security".

How about the people in the last week who had their files irreparably deleted by your forced updates? Microsoft used to be a reputable name, but in the last 5 years or so you've gone down hill trying to push out stuff faster than you can reasonably debug and test it.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe we just don't want your new features? And at the end of the day, if we disable updates and end up with a security issue, that's on us. It's not for you to force down our throats. And I'll be honest, I've been using windows for a very long time and I have not once (no, really, not ever) had a virus on my pc. I'll also let you in on something, all through windows XP, Vista, and 7, I kept updates turned off and did not update my operating system in all those years. And I spend a lot of time using my pc for school, work, games, socially, etc. Never once has this caused my system to get infected with a virus or some other exploit.

Enough is enough. I get it, you want to protect the less pc-educated people from those things. That's fine, you can still keep auto updates a part of the operating system. But you need to let advanced users have the option to disable it. And we shouldn't have to use software work arounds, like setting it as a metered connection (because that doesn't stop them completely). It needs to be a plain, black & white, on or off option. And if it's off that's not an "off for now". It needs to be an "Off forever" until manually turned on by the pc's owner. We pay a lot of money for these PC systems, and we have to pay for the Windows license. So get off your high horse and stop only giving these types of options to "enterprise" owners. Because they aren't the only ones that don't want you messing up their systems.

:)

Githion, Oct 9, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

how to permanently disable windows 10 automatic updates,

Hi Ezequíaz, complete the 3 steps below to permanently stop Windows 10 Automatic Updates:

Open the Settings App

Go to Accounts - Sign-in Options

Choose to sign in with a Local Account rather than a Microsoft Account.

In the Settings App

Go to Network and Internet

Set your WiFi connection as Metered

Click your Start Button, type services and hit ENTER

Scroll down the list of services to find Windows Update

Double click the service

If it has started, click 'Stop'

Then you must set its startup type to 'Disabled' - 'Manual' will not do!

Restart your PC

That's It!

DaveM121, Oct 9, 2018
  3. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Drone Win User

[Guide] Disabling Windows 10 Automatic updates and "spyware"

Hide Windows Updates or driver updates

Your Windows 10 PC gets the latest updates automatically. In rare cases, a driver or update might cause issues with your PC. To keep the update from reinstalling automatically, download this troubleshooter, it will let you hide the problematic updates.

Drone, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Automatic Updates && Not being able to disable them permanently - Similar Threads - Automatic Updates being

2. How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?: Today I before I left for work, I had several tabs in two different programs open, with unsaved work that I hadn't finished yet. I closed my laptop to put it into sleep mode, came back 6 hours later, and Windows had gracefully updated against my will and deleted a lot of...
  3. How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?: Today I before I left for work, I had several tabs in two different programs open, with unsaved work that I hadn't finished yet. I closed my laptop to put it into sleep mode, came back 6 hours later, and Windows had gracefully updated against my will and deleted a lot of...
  4. How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Permanently disable automatic restarts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Permanently disable automatic restarts: Once again, windows automatically restarted. This time I lost 2 days worth of work. I need to know how to permanently disable auto restart. I WILL decide when it is safe to reboot. Automatic updates are one thing, but this is a work computer. I need it to remaining running...
  6. permanently disable update in windows 10

permanently disable update in windows 10: Hi to all My supervisor ask me to permanent disable updates in windows 10. After a search i fount this Step1 services.msc Windows UpdateStop Startup type -> Disable Restoration -> No action Step 2 gpedit.msc Computer settings -> Management templates ->Windows...
  7. Disable or remove Windows 10 automatic update software permanently.

Disable or remove Windows 10 automatic update software permanently.: I have no reason to update Windows 10, literally no reason at all, screw security updates, I know how to be secure on Windows even with the Anti-Virus and Firewall disabled. I would like for Windows to not to reboot my laptop while I still have google chrome incognito tabs...
  8. How do you permanently disable automatic windows updates?

How do you permanently disable automatic windows updates?: I do not want windows updates, how do I permanently disable automatic updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-permanently-disable-automatic-windows/b1cf6802-da8e-448b-8a5b-5614fa9a3767
  9. Permanently disable Windows 10 Home Automatic Updates.

Permanently disable Windows 10 Home Automatic Updates.: Why does Microsoft block the ability to use the "Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using a REG file" capability in Windows 10 Home Edition? I have an aged self assembled pc running proprietary software that will not function beyond version 1511. Once again MS, the largest...
  10. Permanently disabling Windows 10 updates... permanently.

Permanently disabling Windows 10 updates... permanently.: I would like to know how to fully disable updates for windows 10. Not partially, not some arbitrary percentage, but COMPLETELY AND PERMANENTLY! I'm tired of having these updates crammed down my throat without even having a choice in the matter. I'm fully aware that this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. not able to disable windows updaet permnatly in windows 10