Windows 10: Windows 10 automatically disables Video Card. What do I do?

Discus and support Windows 10 automatically disables Video Card. What do I do? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I am using my longest-lived laptop (just under 5 years now!) and I'm starting to get some annoying errors. I think it's going to die on me soon.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by x797DRU, Sep 12, 2018.

1. x797DRU Win User

Windows 10 automatically disables Video Card. What do I do?

Hi!

I am using my longest-lived laptop (just under 5 years now!) and I'm starting to get some annoying errors. I think it's going to die on me soon. But I want to extend it's life as long as I can, so can someone please help me?

My specific issue:

About 4 or 5 months ago my laptop fell while running a video game. Understandably, the computer crashed (blue-screen error) I forget the specific error code or details. I wasn't paying too much attention because I was like "oh, well, that was not unexpected" you know?

Now, just over a month ago, I started getting blue screen crashes twice a day. I had been without internet access for at least 3 weeks and therefore, without any driver or OS updates. Anyway, after a few days of troubleshooting, I figured that my NVIDIA GTX 760M video card was malfunctioning. After about 5 blue screen events, Windows had automatically disabled this video card -- and in doing so, the blue-screen events stopped.

A week or two later I was able to get this laptop connected and updated. It took at least 4 attempts to successfully update due to another problem of mine (in short: my power supply has issues, so often if/when my battery is low which is about 90% of the time since my AC adapter doesn't charge my battery - except maybe about 10% every 24 hours or so - my laptop runs only on about 25% CPU power, which causes issues with starting, shutting down, installing updates since it takes forever on the reduced CPU power ... anyway, back to the current issue.) After looking at the details of the blue screen events, some things didn't add up though ... because the details of the crashes seemed to indicate issues with power supply, not with my video card. Well, as I briefly indicated, I know I have problems with my AC adapter ... but once the NVIDIA video card was updated and re-enabled, my laptop at least wasn't crashing every other time I tried to use it, so all was fine. Until 2 days ago - I again dropped the laptop while trying to pick it up to use it. It wasn't in active use when I dropped it, only sleep mode - and it was a less-than-2ft drop. When I got set up and tried to wake it up, another blue-screen event.

Unfortunately, I didn't look into the issue, only assuming it was another 1-time thing like it was 5 months ago when it crashed after it fell.

Well, it was (so far) only a 1 time event - I assume because now the NVIDIA video card doesn't even show up in my device manager. There's no indication that it is even installed on my laptop, except I can still dig into my program files and see the folders and .exe's for NVIDIA. I haven't touched them though, for fear of causing another problem and actively causing damage to my system.

I didn't notice the NVIDIA driver was missing until a few hours ago when I tried to play a video game, it was too choppy to play so I suspected it was due to my power supply problems reducing my CPU power ... but no, somehow it was actually running on full power (well, not 100% uninterrupted - every 10 seconds or so, the CPU speed would drop from it's normal 2.7 GHz to it's 25% state - but only for about a second.) Then I noticed in the task manager that my GPU graph was missing it's NVIDIA card (obviously, I have a default Intel graphics card - not nearly powerful enough for games) ... so that's when I noticed it was entirely missing from my device manager (instead of just disabled.)

So I tried to manually update the video card via the GeForce Experience program that comes with my NVIDIA product -- but the update is unsuccessful "this video card is unsupported by the OS" or something like that.

I tried getting support from NVIDIA, but they're not willing to dig deeper into my issue: After telling me to update ... lol, of course I know I need to first update Windows and/or my graphics cards! and restart - LOL! They told me I'd have to re-install WINDOWS to fix the issue --- yeah, obviously they aren't willing to look into the issue!

So, does anyone have any ideas? Help? Suggestions?

My laptop works *fine* right now I guess, I just can't really play any games (not really important in the big picture) due to the 2 reasons I've given above.

Oh, I'm using Windows 10 64 bit, 16 GB RAM, Intel i7-4800MQ CPU (2.70 GHz)

(I don't know why, but most of the time when my CPU is running full speed, the task manager will say it's running at anywhere from 3.3 to 3.8 GHz speed ... unless I'm playing a video game then it's usually stuck at around 2.7 GHz)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help

[Moved from: Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

:)

x797DRU, Sep 12, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 12, 2018
  3. How to reload video card in windows 10

Hello Sassywax,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums. We are glad to help you.

I would suggest you to run “Hardware and Devices” troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press “Windows key + X”.

• Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.

• Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

• Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.
    Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: Update
    the latest video card drivers and check if that helps:

Follow these steps:

• Press “Windows Key + X” from the keyboard.

• Type “device Manager” without quotes in the search box and hit enter.

• Right click on the video card drivers and select
      “Update”.
    If the issue persists, uninstall and reinstall the latest video card drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Sep 12, 2018
  4. Windows 10 automatically disables Video Card. What do I do?

Dual video card laptops and Windows 10 upgrade

Hello,

From the description I understand that system is not switching to the fasted video card which is Radeon 7600.

I suggest you to uninstall the current video card from device manager and install Radeon 7600 manually and check if this helps.

To uninstall from device manager follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right click on the video driver and click on
      uninstall
    • Now install Radeon 7600 and check.

Write us back with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 automatically disables Video Card. What do I do?

1. Windows 10 automatically disables Video Card. What do I do? - Similar Threads - automatically disables Video

2. What do I do? WHAT DO I DO!?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I do? WHAT DO I DO!?: A few weeks ago, I got an email from Paypal; long story short, it led me to a number, I allowed this a**hat into my laptop.I got scammed out of some money; I uninstalled everything related to that damn scam; I should have known better but I was just tired that day and wasn't...
  3. What do I do? WHAT DO I DO!?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do I do? WHAT DO I DO!?: A few weeks ago, I got an email from Paypal; long story short, it led me to a number, I allowed this a**hat into my laptop.I got scammed out of some money; I uninstalled everything related to that damn scam; I should have known better but I was just tired that day and wasn't...
  4. How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?: Today I before I left for work, I had several tabs in two different programs open, with unsaved work that I hadn't finished yet. I closed my laptop to put it into sleep mode, came back 6 hours later, and Windows had gracefully updated against my will and deleted a lot of...
  5. How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I permanently disable automatic Windows 10 Updates?: Today I before I left for work, I had several tabs in two different programs open, with unsaved work that I hadn't finished yet. I closed my laptop to put it into sleep mode, came back 6 hours later, and Windows had gracefully updated against my will and deleted a lot of...
  6. HOW DO I? Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    HOW DO I? Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart?: Please help. : After having my windows machine open with desktops, tabs, applications, notepads, signed into a mess of accounts I often find it freshly rebooted in the morning with updates, only to have my productivity unjustly doused. I run a handful of small businesses...
  7. how do I disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I disable automatic updates?: the latest update(yesterday) disabled my Kaspersky app, and greyed out my button to reactivate it. Had to do a very slow system restore. How can I disable autoupdates ?...
  8. Windows 10 automatically disables Video Card. What do I do?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 automatically disables Video Card. What do I do?: Hi! I am using my longest-lived laptop (just under 5 years now!) and I'm starting to get some annoying errors. I think it's going to die on me soon. But I want to extend it's life as long as I can, so can someone please help me? My specific issue: About 4 or 5 months ago...
  9. How do I disable Windows 10 automatic update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I disable Windows 10 automatic update: I did disable the update, but it still update at startup sometimes. 82849
  10. What do I need to do befor I change video card from Nvidia to AMD

in Windows 10 Support
    What do I need to do befor I change video card from Nvidia to AMD: Hi I am going to change my video card from NVIDIA to a new AMD card my question is what do I have to do to get ready before I put in the new video card? Thanks John 70502