Windows 10: Windows 10 back to windows 7

Discus and support Windows 10 back to windows 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I bought a laptop with windows 8 pre-installed which was later upgraded to windows 10. As a windows 7 user on my desk top and work computers can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Voyseyboy0, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Windows 10 back to windows 7

I bought a laptop with windows 8 pre-installed which was later upgraded to windows 10. As a windows 7 user on my desk top and work computers can I delete W10 and install W7? I have been told not. If not why not?
    Thanks for your help, Paul

:)

Voyseyboy0, Oct 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Oct 12, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 back to windows 7

Hello Paul, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It depends.

If you upgraded the Windows 7 from the desktop to a free Windows 10 and still have that Windows 10 installed, then you will not be able to install and activate Windows 7 on the laptop unless you have another product key or uninstall the Windows 10.

In addition, you'll need to make sure that the laptop manufacturer has Windows 7 drivers available for it.

Brink, Oct 12, 2015
  5. Thanks for your quick response. I doubt if the laptop will have the necessary windows 7 drivers as it came with Windows 8 pre-installed.
    I have read so many complaints about windows 8 and 10, when are MS going to fix it?

Voyseyboy0, Oct 12, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Windows 10 works just fine for me.

As far as fixing it, it would depend on the specific issue and cause.

Brink, Oct 12, 2015
  7. I am getting the same problem as most "critical error; Start menu and Cortana aren't working". I have tried many of the fixes suggested but to no avail.

Voyseyboy0, Oct 12, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Is that even after a clean install of Windows 10?

Brink, Oct 12, 2015
  9. Berton Win User
    So far between my computers and my clients' I have Upgraded 14, mostly Notebooks and 3 Desktops. Only issue I had with one 2-year-old Notebook was the need to download and install Bluetooth drivers but Dell already had them available. Some of the things I usually went to Control Panel for are now on the right-click context menu of the Start button. The Apps list of programs is alphabetical and not hard to work with. I did pin a few programs I use daily to the Start [tiles] then moved them up to the very top of the list of tiles. I also put a couple on the Taskbar. Edge may become better over time but until then I also pinned Internet Explorer to both places.

Berton, Oct 12, 2015
  10. Sorry to say that I am not a computer expert, just a simple user. I upgraded from W8 to W10 following the upgrade release simply by following the link, so I do not know how to do a clean install :-(

Voyseyboy0, Oct 12, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 12, 2015
  12. mart44 Win User
    I know asking about a problem here most often works and it ought to be (and often is) possible to fix a computer from the help given. I hope this will be the case here. Occasionally though, even with the best available online help, problems continue because helpers can't see or get their hands on a computer. There is no substitute for that sometimes.

If not technically inclined with computers and all suggestions have been carried out within the capabilities, it can then be best to put the computer into the hands of a local reputable computer repairer to sort out. Maybe it's felt the time for this hasn't come yet but I think there can come a point where it's worth paying someone to take away the continuing worry and hassle.

mart44, Oct 13, 2015
  13. Molyy Win User

I have been using Windows 10 on desktop for a while, got no problem. Just feel like using Win7, not that much different. It is not a clean install. But if you need to do a clean install, you'd better create a backup, especially for the C drive. And do not use Windows backup, try paragon backup&restore or easeus todo backup free.

Molyy, Oct 13, 2015
  14. Hi mart. thank you for your advise, as you suggest I am not there yet, also from what I have read this critical error has a habit of cropping up ad nausium so I don't think a full fix will be available until MS get their finger out and issue an update.

Voyseyboy0, Oct 13, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    I've got 7 computers running Windows 10 at my house since July 30th and haven't had an error yet.

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2015
Thema: