Windows 10: Windows 10 Back up system image issue

Discus and support Windows 10 Back up system image issue in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; hello just registered to seek assistance on an issue that is puzzling me I am running windows 10 on a SSD with my media files on several SATA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by nolive721, Oct 7, 2017.

1. nolive721 Win User

Windows 10 Back up system image issue

hello

just registered to seek assistance on an issue that is puzzling me

I am running windows 10 on a SSD with my media files on several SATA connected 2Tb HDDs.

I used the feature in the OS to install programs on one of them, named G in windows explorer.

I want to back up my files and include a system image with the Windows 7 back up function, on an external 1Tb HDD. But even if I have unticked any G drive folders in the process, the feature mentions system image contains EFI, C (where my OS is) and this famous G drive

but if I try to launch the back-up it says not enough space on the external HDD to proceed since I believe windows tries to back up my entire G drive all together with C and EFI considering there are registry entries of the programs installed on the G drive

I am thinking about uninstalling all programs on G as a solution but if there is a workaround which allows me to keep my system as it is and allow an image back-up then obviously I would prefer that one

thanks so much

olivier

:)

nolive721, Oct 7, 2017
  2. riverivel Win User

Win 10 system image back up

win 10 system image backup fails with virtual disk size limitation

riverivel, Oct 7, 2017
  3. riverivel Win User
    Win 10 system image back up

USB drive solves the problem

I tried this method (having tried many others previously without success) and I'm sorry to say it did not help in my situation. I also downloaded Tweaking.com and followed the instructions to the letter but again with out success.

Suspecting the problem may lay with the NAS I then backed up a system image to the second drive in my PC and this worked. I have an SSD and a hard drive installed.

Having tried for almost 6 months to find a resolution I stood back to reflect on what to do?

I considered two options: buy a third party software product or change from a NAS to a USB drive. I chose the latter as my experience with third part backup software has not been good.

I have now purchased a 500G USB drive and system image back up works fine - problem solved.

riverivel, Oct 7, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Back up system image issue

You say you are Running Windows 10 if I were you I would use Macrium Reflect v7,1.2019 free or paid. Welcome to the Ten Forums BTW!*Party

Josey Wales, Oct 7, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    You have installed programs on G: so it is seen as part of the 'system' that needs backing up. The system image will attempt to make an image of everything on G: - your data included, that's why the image is so large it won't fit on a 1TB drive. Backup & restore's 'create a system image' is very simple-minded. It cannot selectively image just the installed programs, it has to copy the entire drive.

Workarounds? Well, it's a lot of work, but you could repartition the 2TB drive so there's a smaller G: partition just containing the installed programs and a second partition (H: ?) for your data. Or you could just buy a larger drive to put the image on.

Bree, Oct 7, 2017
  6. nolive721 Win User
    @josey

yes I am looking at 3rd party software to create a system image

@bree

I should have mentioned G is a 1Tb partition on a 2Tb sata drive and I have installed some Games in it as well as aforementioned programs, no media as such. I should have maybe made it much smaller from the start when I installed programs in there, my bad.
    I am going to consider creating another partition on the disk to transfer my games but I think I will need to recreate links to the registry to get them to launch right? assuming it works out OK, G will become to a size needed for current and future programs, as small as possible and I should eb able to back up my system image finally.

does that make sense?

nolive721, Oct 7, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    You are rather missing the point. No image backup should be stored on a physical drive if it includes data from that same physical drive.

If that drive fails, not only do you lose the data, you lose the backups as well.

cereberus, Oct 7, 2017
  8. nolive721 Win User

bit offending considering that is not the point I am trying to address and find a fix for.....the image back-up will be stored on an EXTERNAL USB drive as I mentioned in my original post which only has the function to store my media files back-up and the windows system image copy I am trying to create

nolive721, Oct 7, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    You post is so confusing, it is easy to get wrong end of stick

Use Macrium Refect Free, to image OS+programs. Use File Explorer or any number of alternatives to backup whatever data you like from other drive.

cereberus, Oct 7, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    OK, so G: should be a part of the system image, at least because of the installed programs. But it's still a 1TB drive before you add in the C: drive and recocery/efi partitions. How do you expect that all to fit on a 1TB external drive?

There is no configurable compression settings in Backup & restore's 'make a system image'. It does have compression, but ony uses it if the target is a DVD. For an HDD the image size will be approximately the total used size of the disks being imaged.

Other imaging software is more configurable, I believe Macrium allows you to choose a compression level. I still think your best solution is to buy a larger external drive, particularly if you want to keep more than one revision of the system image.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 Back up system image issue - Similar Threads - system image issue

2. Backing up system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up system image: If I back up a system image on an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-system-image/8f04a05f-43b6-4633-b212-400d17fd1a81
  3. System Image Back Up Not Working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Back Up Not Working: Hi, I'm trying to do a system image back up with win10 (20H2) on a new install, but I can't get it working. I don't normally have a problem with this procedure. Nothing I do with any internal or external drive allows me to do it. The result is always a message indicating...
  4. Unbale back up a system image

Unbale back up a system image: Keep getting 'check VSS and SPP log. Logs are not helping at all. Error code 0x81000019. I have checked multiple threads and tried starting services, clean book, check **** etc etc. No other language pack installed. I have another PC that has no such problem....
  5. System Image Back Up

System Image Back Up: How should I prepare my hard drive for a system image back up to DVD/CD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-back-up/d7cd84c5-5317-451e-8f95-d580a3f22aff
  6. Back Up System Image Failed

Back Up System Image Failed: When I try to backup the System Image to an external hard drive, I get the following error: "Windows backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared file. Please retry the operation after making sure that the remote shared file is available and accessible...
  7. System Image back ups windows 10 pro

System Image back ups windows 10 pro: The question with no answer ? I've been digging around the internet for awhile trying to get an answer to this question. Months ago I created a system image back up onto a large external usb drive. After some big updates/upgrades, I decide to create a newer system image...
  8. System Image Back-up Windows 10

System Image Back-up Windows 10: Hi Once a year or so I've been in the habit of making a Systems Image Back-up (to USB Drive) in case my Windows 10 PC dies the death. Am about to do so once more, but seem to recall reading something lately suggesting that either: a) It was no longer necessary with...
  9. Back up System Image

Back up System Image: Hello, I have HP pavilion laptop, and want to make System Image Back up by: Back up and Restore (Windows 7) ==> Create a system image. I have 2 physical disks in my laptop: A- Disk 0 (SSD): Windows(C) + Windows RE tools. B- Disk 1 (HDD): 1- Data (D) 2- HP Factory...
  10. System Image Back Up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Back Up: Trying to do a system image back up on Windows 10.Get error 0x80042302.Shows back up disc disconnected.It is connected.In file history it shows the hard drive any more deals ? 60169