Windows 10: Windows 10 Backup and Replace

Discus and support Windows 10 Backup and Replace in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good afternoon, I am preparing to install Windows 10 Professional on a new rig. I would like to setup windows to automatically backup and write that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by j.hayes.ga, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Backup and Replace

Good afternoon,

I am preparing to install Windows 10 Professional on a new rig. I would like to setup windows to automatically backup and write that backup to another drive. I would like to have it setup in such a way that if the "main" drive fails I can do one of the following:

1 be able to boot from the copy on the "secondary" drive, or

2 be able to restore from the "secondary" drive.

I would also like to know how to configure my backups so that they AUTOMATICALLY overwrite each other. So that I only have 1 backup at all times. In conjunction with this, I would like to ask if there are any other things I need to consider regarding backing up. Frequency? Backup drive size/specs.

Thank you,

JLH

:)

j.hayes.ga, Oct 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 29, 2020
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Oct 29, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Windows 10 Backup and Replace

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Windows 10 Backup and Replace [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Backup and Replace

1. Windows 10 Backup and Replace - Similar Threads - Backup Replace

2. How do I replace the entire font folder with a backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I replace the entire font folder with a backup?: Hey, I am currently using Windows 11 and accidentally moved some files & folders into the font folder. I have copied the folder and moved the copies of the files & folders onto the desktop. I am now trying to delete the old font folder and replace it but Windows doesn't allow...
  3. How do I replace the entire font folder with a backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I replace the entire font folder with a backup?: Hey, I am currently using Windows 11 and accidentally moved some files & folders into the font folder. I have copied the folder and moved the copies of the files & folders onto the desktop. I am now trying to delete the old font folder and replace it but Windows doesn't allow...
  4. transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted: I own a dell 15-3567 laptop that has a defective hard drive.i received a replacement drive that has only been formatted.I have ths windows 10 media creation tool on a flash and the image on a wd external drive that is complete with original image and incrimental backups that...
  5. transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted: I own a dell 15-3567 laptop that has a defective hard drive.i received a replacement drive that has only been formatted.I have ths windows 10 media creation tool on a flash and the image on a wd external drive that is complete with original image and incrimental backups that...
  6. transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. My laptop was replaced due to a fault and I took a system image backup to transfer but...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My laptop was replaced due to a fault and I took a system image backup to transfer but...: My laptop was replaced due to a fault and I took a system image backup to transfer to the new laptop which is the Microsoft unit identical to the faulty one. Every time I try to restore it is comes up with a message "To restore this computer windows needs to format the drive...
  8. Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice: Dell cannot tell if the motherboard or the SSD is defective, so they are going to replace both under warranty. I have until now never had a two-drive computer, so I need advice on what to backup before the remove/replace is done. The replacement mother board will have Windows...
  9. Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice: Dell cannot tell if the motherboard or the SSD is defective, so they are going to replace both under warranty. I have until now never had a two-drive computer, so I need advice on what to backup before the remove/replace is done. The replacement mother board will have Windows...
  10. Best replacement for Instant Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best replacement for Instant Backup: I used to use a program called Instant Backup, a paid program that did everything I wanted. I could schedule daily, weekly, and monthly backups and I managed to use it even on Windows 10 until I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and the program refused to install. I first...